Author Topic: Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80  (Read 41729 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80
« Reply #1035 on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »

Surely the question should be, before they starting fracking how many earthquakes were recorded in the area vs after they started - looking at the link you posted in the last 100 days of the last 31 recorded earthquakes 29 were in Blackpool the first one just days after fracking started. Between end of 25 July and 12 October there were no recorded earthquakes in that area - so the correlation of fracking and seismic activity is quite strong I would say.
In my opinion there are better ways at sourcing energy for this country other than fracking - more investment in Solar is particularly needed along with wind and wave / hydro electric power.
You can't frac without, ahem.........fracturing rock. Seismic activity is inevitable.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1036 on: October 30, 2018, 20:38:11 PM »

Surely the question should be, before they starting fracking how many earthquakes were recorded in the area vs after they started - looking at the link you posted in the last 100 days of the last 31 recorded earthquakes 29 were in Blackpool the first one just days after fracking started. Between end of 25 July and 12 October there were no recorded earthquakes in that area - so the correlation of fracking and seismic activity is quite strong I would say.
I see DavidL has already said what I was going to, but fracturing rock creates quakes. The trouble is the general public (unwashed and uneducated to a man - and woman) equate earthquakes with DISASTER whereas it has to be about magnitude 2 - over ten times stronger - before you can feel it, and then you have to be directly over it. I've felt a magnitude 5 earthquake - 10,000 times stronger than these fracking ones - it made some cupboards rattle
In my opinion there are better ways at sourcing energy for this country other than fracking - more investment in Solar is particularly needed along with wind and wave / hydro electric power.
Ah yes, solar power in the land of no sun :);)
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #1037 on: October 30, 2018, 21:24:01 PM »
I'm thinking of starting a Gofundme company supplying alternative renewable energy through a thermal/bullshit power farm...powered mostly by political hot air.....

Supply your own joke/snide comment here: .............
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:47:53 AM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1038 on: October 30, 2018, 22:12:27 PM »
I'm thinking of starting a Gofundme company supplying alternative renewable energy through a thermal/bullshit power farm...powered mostly by political hit air.....

Supply your own joke/snide comment here:[size=78%] .............[/size]

Sounds a lot more dangerous than fracking !
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #1039 on: October 30, 2018, 22:48:57 PM »

That's something of a false dichotomy - it's not either / or.  Solar and wind power alone aren't going to provide our energy needs. I'm not sure they could do that if the entire landscape was covered in solar panels with wind turbines poking up out of the spaces inbetween them.
I'm not too bothered about minor earth tremors either - we were never this risk averse when digging coal out of the ground.
But today's simple pleasures have little or nothing to do with fracking.
The first is that Commons officials have confirmed that MPs do not have legal veto over a no-deal Brexit. Our MPs can reject whatever deal Theresa comes back with, as I hope and expect they will. Then one of two things will happen. The EU will try a bit harder to compromise, or we will leave the EU, cleanly and elegantly, without a deal. What won't happen is that Parliament will force the people to remain prisoners of the EU, against the better judgement they expressed in June 2016.

Or they will accept Theresa's deal.
But either way, we are out of that turdwipe European superstate project on March 29th. It's a belter, isn't it?
The other simple pleasure is that I took an exam for a professional certification I've been studying for for a while, and I passed it. All about Cloud infrastructure architecture. Fascinating stuff.

Not a bad day.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 22:53:02 PM by Slim »

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1040 on: October 31, 2018, 00:32:42 AM »
Can't see how a no deal brexit will be clean or elegant. The opposite is much closer to the truth. Not to mention hugely damaging for the vast majority.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #1041 on: November 01, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »

The other simple pleasure is that I took an exam for a professional certification I've been studying for for a while, and I passed it. All about Cloud infrastructure architecture. Fascinating stuff.

Not a bad day.

Congratulations! 8)

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #1042 on: November 01, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »
Can't see how a no deal brexit will be clean or elegant. The opposite is much closer to the truth. Not to mention hugely damaging for the vast majority.

There's already a thread for you to spout your Brexit shit in Dom. Please don't spoil this one as well mate.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1043 on: November 01, 2018, 15:58:58 PM »

There's already a thread for you to spout your Brexit shit in Dom. Please don't spoil this one as well mate.

I responded to another post about the topic in this thread.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #1044 on: November 01, 2018, 22:02:21 PM »
Quality time with my 5 week old grandson.

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1045 on: November 02, 2018, 20:05:35 PM »
Only saw this today.
These guys are my heroes.
Ageing metalheads escape care home for moshing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45087070

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #1046 on: November 07, 2018, 22:22:35 PM »
Today is 90125 35 :)

And apparently Asia Bibi has been flown out of Pakistan and into this century.

Two very different reasons for celebration.
HYFTOUR30

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #1047 on: November 08, 2018, 00:42:17 AM »
King Crimson being even better than last night. Stunning.
Legend in my own Mind

Straight Shooter

• TNMS Member
  • Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle
« Reply #1048 on: November 09, 2018, 00:29:24 AM »
King Crimson being even better than last night. Stunning.
Much changes to the set Nick?

Got Glasgow on Monday and fighting the temptation for Edinburgh on Tuesday...  ::)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Straight Shooter

• TNMS Member
  • Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle
« Reply #1049 on: November 09, 2018, 00:35:08 AM »
Today is 90125 35 :)
Still a wonderful album. When I started buying CDs the following year, it was my very first  :)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.