Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80

Started by Chris Quartly, November 19, 2015, 19:49:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Family trip to the circus.  Was good and the little un really enjoyed it. :)
The keys to happiness

DavidL

A restless night for the commissars of the EU caused by political chaos in Italy  ;D

Richard_2112

Arguing with Tommy Robinson supporters. It's the most fun I've had in an age!
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Slim

Ah yes, I've done a bit of that in the last couple of days. But it's pointless ultimately; the far right are every bit as thick and ignorant as the far left. But at least they haven't taken over a mainstream political party yet.

Matt2112

May 30, 2018, 11:19:02 am #874 Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:20:41 am by Matt2112
Yes, been following the TR thing closely (or SY-L, if you must).  So many misconceptions about this case held by his supporters.  I'm also quite surprised at how much this has exercised the far right over the pond, where he also seems to have some kind of cult martyr status.   

Being a passionate and provocative advocate for free speech, and the right to it, is all well and good; however, it's his actions that are problematic on this occasion (and the other occasion for which he originally was given a suspended sentence).  All these protesters are barking up the wrong tree as they think there's some insidious thought crime punishment being administered.  If they calmed down a bit, sat down, and educated themselves about how British justice works then maybe they wouldn't make such fools of themselves.     
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

Why does he used an assumed name - does calling himself Tommy Robinson make him sound more a man of the people than his real name!!??  ;D

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 30, 2018, 11:19:02 am
Yes, been following the TR thing closely (or SY-L, if you must).  So many misconceptions about this case held by his supporters.  I'm also quite surprised at how much this has exercised the far right over the pond, where he also seems to have some kind of cult martyr status.   

Being a passionate and provocative advocate for free speech, and the right to it, is all well and good; however, it's his actions that are problematic on this occasion (and the other occasion for which he originally was given a suspended sentence).  All these protesters are barking up the wrong tree as they think there's some insidious thought crime punishment being administered.  If they calmed down a bit, sat down, and educated themselves about how British justice works then maybe they wouldn't make such fools of themselves.   

I think that he's achieving everything he set out to achieve but clever manipulation of the press and social media...
Let's all hope that he gets a deserved ride "in pokey".
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Richard_2112

My band getting to be main support to Puddle of Mudd on their only UK tour date last night. Best gig of my life!
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Matt2112

Quote from: Richard_2112 on June 01, 2018, 11:51:07 am
My band getting to be main support to Puddle of Mudd on their only UK tour date last night. Best gig of my life!

Excellent stuff, that's definitely one for the CV mate.  :)

In other ongoing news, I've been waiting for Douglas Murray's take on the TR issue and he doesn't disappoint - his article in the National Review is absolutely spot on.
The keys to happiness

Straight Shooter

Quote from: Richard_2112 on June 01, 2018, 11:51:07 am

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 01, 2018, 13:16:00 pm
Excellent stuff, that's definitely one for the CV mate.  :)

+1

No doubt things got a bit Blurry by the end of the night, eh Richard?  ;)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 01, 2018, 13:16:00 pm

In other ongoing news, I've been waiting for Douglas Murray's take on the TR issue and he doesn't disappoint - his article in the National Review is absolutely spot on.
Yes, I was undecided in my view on TR's arrest but Murray sums up the situation very well. Abhorrent racist or not he keeps highlighting an uncomfortable truth that most in authority would like to sweep under the carpet.

Richard_2112

Quote from: Straight Shooter on June 01, 2018, 13:56:14 pm
+1

No doubt things got a bit Blurry by the end of the night, eh Richard?  ;)

Yep, they played for 2 hours and every song sounded the same... ;)

döm

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Things not getting any better for the EU. Anti-immigration party SDS have secured the largest share of votes in Slovenian election.

Matt2112

The keys to happiness