Simple Pleasure of the Day - 80

Started by Chris Quartly, November 19, 2015, 19:49:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

It's a very blunt instrument and takes no prisoners, but very effective :)

The trick is to give it a generous block size to make it go quicker, though the result will be the same. There's a neat utility called pv which will show progress while it's running, like this:

# dd if=inputfile | pv | dd of=outputfile

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on April 20, 2016, 14:00:30 pm
It's a very blunt instrument and takes no prisoners, but very effective :)

The trick is to give it a generous block size to make it go quicker, though the result will be the same. There's a neat utility called pv which will show progress while it's running, like this:

# dd if=inputfile | pv | dd of=outputfile

yes that was half the battle.. i got the dd command to run but wasn't getting any output at all so had no idea if the thing had completed or where it was at... a few google searches pointed me to the pv package then a few more pointed me to this little baby... which gives a nice little graphical percentage of how it's doing...

(pv -n /dev/sda | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=128M conv=notrunc,noerror) 2>&1 | dialog --gauge "Running dd command (cloning), please wait..." 10 70 0
From the Land of Honest Men.

zoony

Quote from: Longshanks on April 18, 2016, 17:40:32 pm
Who!!...sorry been busy reading about the Zoonsters new motor :)
Hope you are keeping well pal..

Yes thanks mate, not too bad. How are things with you then?

Blastzone

A couple of days off from tomorrow.. Thank feck.knackered. heading to St Andrews for a bit down time and the weather is meant to be good 😀
Mon the Jambos

Longshanks

Quote from: Blastzone on April 20, 2016, 23:52:20 pm
A couple of days off from tomorrow.. Thank feck.knackered. heading to St Andrews for a bit down time and the weather is meant to be good 😀

Not too bad Rob thanks mate.
Meyt n prater pie please....

Jonners

Listening to a tape (yes, I know a tape) of the Secret Policeman's Other Ball. Some very, very funny sketches. Nice to hear Victoria Wood as well, forgotten she was on it.

The new songs are an abomination

zoony

Quote from: Blastzone on April 20, 2016, 23:52:20 pm

Enjoy yourself mate.

zoony

Slim

Completing the April Climbing Challenge on Strava. 5.5km of going uphill on a bike rewarded by a digital finisher's badge.

döm

The Spectator laying into Boris Johnson, it's erstwhile editor.

It's one thing reading an admittedly excellent piece in the Guardian, but to see a similar piece in the Barclay Broseley mag is delightful!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Richard_2112

Quote from: döm on April 22, 2016, 22:00:20 pm
The Spectator laying into Boris Johnson, it's erstwhile editor.

It's one thing reading an admittedly excellent piece in the Guardian, but to see a similar piece in the Barclay Broseley mag is delightful!

I read that earlier. It's about time Boris was debunked as the concept of him one day leading the country is frightening!
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

pdw1

Quote from: Richard_2112 on April 23, 2016, 01:54:56 am
I read that earlier. It's about time Boris was debunked as the concept of him one day leading the country is frightening!

The British Donald Trump.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Quote from: pdw1 on April 23, 2016, 09:20:52 am
The British Donald Trump.

What ever anyone thinks of Trump, mark my words. He will be the next president of the United states of America.

Chris Quartly

No he won't. I'm sure he's the only American that UK media talks about these days, but he has very little chance in a general election, he still might not even be the Republican nominee, despite winning the primaries...
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

zoony

Quote from: Chris Quartly on April 23, 2016, 22:05:01 pm
No he won't. I'm sure he's the only American that UK media talks about these days, but he has very little chance in a general election, he still might not even be the Republican nominee, despite winning the primaries...

We'll see then mate.