Jeremy Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party

Started by Slim, September 12, 2015, 13:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on February 27, 2017, 14:17:36 pm
If I was a betting man I would put money on David Miliband being back on the scene by the Summer.

Doubt it - he's being paid too much money as the CEO of the Thunderbirds.  :)
The keys to happiness

döm

If Corbyn chooses to stay in place for the long term I wouldn't be surprised to see the less left leaning parts of the party attempt to create a new one again with the Lib-Dems.  The SDP wasn't that successful the last time this happened but times have changed and there is a real need for a coherent opposition to stop the Tories from getting away with murder
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on February 27, 2017, 15:11:24 pm
If Corbyn chooses to stay in place for the long term I wouldn't be surprised to see the less left leaning parts of the party attempt to create a new one again with the Lib-Dems.  The SDP wasn't that successful the last time this happened but times have changed and there is a real need for a coherent opposition to stop the Tories from getting away with murder

I'd like to think that would be a viable option, however as things stand it strikes me that even what remains of the Lib-Dems are being led astray too far from the centre ground by Farron; they have a leadership problem not dissimilar to Labour in some respects.

Are the Tories that bad?  Free child care for working parents?  Gets my vote...what would Labour do with that money?
The keys to happiness

Thailand Express

Quote from: döm on February 27, 2017, 15:11:24 pm
If Corbyn chooses to stay in place for the long term I wouldn't be surprised to see the less left leaning parts of the party attempt to create a new one again with the Lib-Dems.

Would they then need to add another hyphen. Lib-Lab-Dems?

Slim

Quote from: The Letter R on February 27, 2017, 14:17:36 pm
If I was a betting man I would put money on David Miliband being back on the scene by the Summer.

What can he do? Moderate Labour figures like the elder Miliband are hamstrung by the members, and in the black & white, them versus us thinking that dominates the mouth breathers who have control of that party now, David is one of "them". Especially since he criticised Corbyn last week.

The Letter R

What can he do? - well this is only my opinion and it may be incorrect but currently Labour is more un-electable than any point in their history - at some point the party either wake up to this or it splits or collapses. Corbyn is their Leader currently as there is no one else strong enough to step up to the plate. Not that I am a fan of his but D Miliband is certainly a strong public face for the party and currently I believe pretty much their only chance of winning back any public confidence. I think if he came back a large number of Labour Back Benchers would step out of the shadows to support him and he would win a leadership battle with Corbyn and steer the party back on to a more Right leaning path.

As Matt points out though he is currently running International Rescue so the lure to pull him away from Tracy Island needs to be strong.

DavidL

February 27, 2017, 19:15:21 pm #636 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 19:20:34 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2017, 15:05:43 pm

Doubt it - he's being paid too much money as the CEO of the Thunderbirds.  :)
I'd like to see him land TB1 on College Green.

DavidL

Quote from: Thailand Express on February 27, 2017, 15:55:18 pm

Would they then need to add another hyphen. Lib-Lab-Dems?
You're missing some punctuation - Lib-Lab-'Dems'  ;)

Slim

Quote from: The Letter R on February 27, 2017, 18:00:11 pm
What can he do? - well this is only my opinion and it may be incorrect but currently Labour is more un-electable than any point in their history - at some point the party either wake up to this or it splits or collapses. Corbyn is their Leader currently as there is no one else strong enough to step up to the plate. Not that I am a fan of his but D Miliband is certainly a strong public face for the party and currently I believe pretty much their only chance of winning back any public confidence. I think if he came back a large number of Labour Back Benchers would step out of the shadows to support him and he would win a leadership battle with Corbyn and steer the party back on to a more Right leaning path.

I don't think he can win a leadership battle - if you glance through the social media it's evident that the bulk of the party are still solidy behind Corbyn and believe that he will win the next election if the media would be nicer to him. Today Provo McDonnell has announced that there's a conspiracy between "elements" of the Labour Party and the Murdoch media empire to undermine him, which will reinforce their siege mentality no end.

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2017, 15:41:21 pm

Are the Tories that bad?  Free child care for working parents?  Gets my vote...

The £100k salary limit - per partner - to qualify is what's wrong with the Torys
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

February 28, 2017, 10:46:39 am #640 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:20:12 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: Bez on February 27, 2017, 22:08:17 pm
The £100k salary limit - per partner - to qualify is what's wrong with the Torys

Yes, that part does seem rather....over-generous...!  :-\ 
The keys to happiness

Slim

Quote from: Bez on February 27, 2017, 22:08:17 pm

I do think that figure is flat out wrong, but in the past you could be earning zillions and still get it - under previous Labour as well as Tory governments. Still if you're going to fix it, do it properly I agree.

Bez

Quote from: Slim on March 16, 2017, 13:07:37 pm
I do think that figure is flat out wrong, but in the past you could be earning zillions and still get it - under previous Labour as well as Tory governments. Still if you're going to fix it, do it properly I agree.

The whole thing is poorly thought out and even worse in its execution....the government are looking to pay nurseries around £4 per child per hour, when the actual cost is closer to £6. The take up (by "providers") is going to be poor and many nurseries attached to schools aren't going to offer any different cover to the provision they offer today.

As you say, if you're going to do it, do it right....

Slim

Quite an angry piece in the GrAunIad this morning on the plight of Labour under Corbyn and fellow travellers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/19/jeremy-corbyn-labour-threat-party-election-support?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

.. and I thought this reply to a comment summed up the blinkered siege mentality of the Corbynistas quite beautifully:

Everyone is lying to them, including the polling organisations.

Bez

Quote from: Slim on March 19, 2017, 12:41:16 pm
Quite an angry piece in the GrAunIad this morning on the plight of Labour under Corbyn and fellow travellers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/19/jeremy-corbyn-labour-threat-party-election-support?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

.. and I thought this reply to a comment summed up the blinkered siege mentality of the Corbynistas quite beautifully:

Everyone is lying to them, including the polling organisations.

Polling organisations surely have very little credibility after their recent collective failures.....I'd be more concerned by the recent recordings from "Momentum" if I were a labour voter...