Jeremy Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party

Started by Slim, September 12, 2015, 13:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

I think it shows the flaws in democracy when  you hear "The people have spoken" when they have but said at least 2 if not multiple different things.

Anyway me and ol' Nige are in the same boat.  Hopefully the Lords will be too.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bisto

The votes were all made in ignorance; the most that you can say is that some people voted to stay because they were more happy with the status quo and others voted to leave because they werent; there was nothing concrete to compare to, no clear manifesto to make a positive decision for, such as you get in a GE.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

Quote from: döm on February 09, 2017, 18:16:30 pm
I think it shows the flaws in democracy when  you hear "The people have spoken" when they have but said at least 2 if not multiple different things.

Well in the case of the EU referendum, the people made one, clear choice.

Richard_2112

Quote from: Slim on February 09, 2017, 11:59:02 am
If the Remainers had won, let's say with a 52-48% majority, which of the EU's institutions and conventions would we have withdrawn from, in order to recognise the voice of the 48%?

That would be a matter for our, surprise surprise, elected representatives in the European Parliament to hash out.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Slim

To save their hypothetical time, the answer is none.

Nïckslïkk2112

February 09, 2017, 21:16:03 pm #620 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 22:44:50 pm by Nïckslïkk2112
Quote from: Richard_2112 on February 09, 2017, 20:24:46 pm

That would be a matter for our, surprise surprise, elected representatives in the European Parliament to hash out.

But do they actually represent anybody?

As I understand it the European Parliament exists as a rubber stamp to approve ideas dreamt up by the EU Commissioners.

And our elected representatives were voted in by 36.8% of the electorate in 2014, Europewide the turnout was under 50%.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Labour clung onto Stoke, and lost Copeland. I'm gloating I know, but that's a shocking outcome for an opposition party 21 months after the last election.  First time a sitting government has gained a seat at a by-election since 1982, and of course the comparison with Labour's position back then is obvious.

Nonetheless Provo McDonnell was on 5 Live this morning assuring listeners that Jeremy Corbyn is the next Prime Minister.

Matt2112

Position surely untenable now after Copeland. 

If Labour can't drum up enough support from Copeland and are beaten by the Tories, who they can't stand losing to, then clearly the message is they haven't the bottle to mount a serious general election campaign.  The synchronicity of Corbyn's leadership and his party's plummeting political status means any Labour MPs with an ounce of sense sifting through the fall out will be calling for his removal with every breath they take.  Etc.
The keys to happiness

Thailand Express

Quote from: Slim on February 24, 2017, 11:08:15 am
First time a sitting government has gained a seat at a by-election since 1982

That is true, although it's quite a different government to the one elected in 2015.

Slim

Slim

February 24, 2017, 14:30:51 pm #625 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 15:52:16 pm by Slim
Just reading through Twitter this morning, it's obvious that while Jeremy won in Stoke, it was actually Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson who lost in Copeland. Also - it's the fault of the media (now universally known by the fashionable acronym 'MSM').

Slim

Just watching Ian Lavery MP on today's Daily Politics on the iPlayer. He's very unhappy that the media is attacking Jeremy, who is "one of the most popular politicians in the country at this moment in time", an assertion that is somewhat at odds with the Labour leader's -40% approval rating.

Yes, I'm enjoying myself today. Good times.

döm

Perhaps it would have been better for the Labour party had Stoke been lost too.  The sooner Corbyn goes the sooner it can revive his fortunes.

Or perhaps we would have seen just how thick his skin (and brain come to that) is!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

One rather nice observation about the Stoke by-election, despite the result, is that the two centre-right parties got nearly 50% of the vote between them. Perhaps it would have been better for the Tories to have withdrawn from this one, to give the people of Stoke the victory they deserve over Labour (who only polled 37% of the vote, after all).

Still - good to see ordinary people fighting back against Labour.

The Letter R

If I was a betting man I would put money on David Miliband being back on the scene by the Summer.