Jeremy Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party

Started by Slim, September 12, 2015, 13:08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: DavidL on September 13, 2015, 21:18:44 pm
Doesn't provide much succour to Labour supporters when, rather than applying to their opponents.......... it describes the shadow cabinet  ;)

True, it would seem that the shadow cabinet are completely out of step with its rank and file
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on September 13, 2015, 22:16:10 pm
True, it would seem that the shadow cabinet are completely out of step with its rank and file
The breakdown of the vote shows that less than 50% of the 'rank and file' wanted Corbyn as leader, whereas over 80% of the three quid 'johnny-come-latelies' voted for him.
Not an overwhelming mandate from the Labour Party.

Slim

I'm all for the leader and shadow cabinet representing the rank and file personally, especially in Labour's case. It means they have a voice, and most importantly it means they don't get elected.

döm

Quote from: DavidL on September 13, 2015, 23:38:07 pm
The breakdown of the vote shows that less than 50% of the 'rank and file' wanted Corbyn as leader, whereas over 80% of the three quid 'johnny-come-latelies' voted for him.
Not an overwhelming mandate from the Labour Party.

Lies damn lies and statistics eh?

Among Labour members he picked up 121,000 votes more than the votes for Burnham and Cooper combined.  It was a pretty convincing win all round

DavidL

September 14, 2015, 00:40:09 am #19 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:01:27 am by DavidL
Quote from: döm on September 13, 2015, 23:56:29 pm
Lies damn lies and statistics eh?

Among Labour members he picked up 121,000 votes more than the votes for Burnham and Cooper combined.  It was a pretty convincing win all round
If Corbyn was 'in-step' with the rank and file he would have won the support of the majority of Labour Party members - he did not. Clearly the overwhelmimg support from the 'registered voters' indicated that they had only one intention - this was probably bolstered by an awful lot of 'mischief-makers'.
I stick by my original point that your insinuation that Corbyn was convicingly endorsed by the 'rank and file' is stretching it somewhat.

Slim

A lot of those voters were Tory and UKIP supporters wanting to finish off Labour, but I suspect that they'd have done that to themselves anyway.

This is going to be too easy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/7808953/John-McDonnell-says-he-would-like-to-assassinate-Margaret-Thatcher.html

That's Labour's new shadow chancellor.  Oh just found another one: he  asserted in 2003 that IRA terrorists should be "honoured" for taking part in their "armed struggle", at a gathering to commemorate Bobby Sands. That's someone who aspires to one of the great offices of state.

Too easy.

DavidL

September 14, 2015, 11:18:11 am #21 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 13:37:00 pm by DavidL
Just found out that one of those votes for Corbyn came from a cat(!) "whose owner, Ted Phillips, registered as an affiliated Labour supporter for £3"!!
Oh dear! Dopey Ed , what have you done?
Will the moderates ever forgive you?
;D

Jonners

Unions already talking of co-ordinated strikes and action to throw the country into chaos. Allied to the worst winter on record (don't they say that every year) its all joy and happiness looking forward!

At least this may send a lifeline out to the liberals? Or am I being a bit daft?
The new songs are an abomination

DavidL

Quote from: Jonners on September 14, 2015, 11:32:03 am
Unions already talking of co-ordinated strikes and action to throw the country into chaos. Allied to the worst winter on record (don't they say that every year) its all joy and happiness looking forward!

At least this may send a lifeline out to the liberals? Or am I being a bit daft?
just a little bit   :) ;)

döm

With UKIP pushing things to the right and nu Old Labour to the left, you'd think there would be plenty of room  for the Lib Dems to make a comfy political pad for themselves.  Time will tell

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on September 14, 2015, 13:43:31 pm
With UKIP pushing things to the right and nu Old Labour to the left, you'd think there would be plenty of room  for the Lib Dems to make a comfy political pad for themselves.  Time will tell

Doubt it with Farron in charge.  I'd like to be proved wrong though.
The keys to happiness

Captain Ron

I didn't know the LibDems still existed! I thought they'd imploded to a singularity or something. Somebody let Sir David Attenborough film them before they become like Scottish Tories. :)

As for the Corbyn show you have to admit it's got serious comedy potential. Cover of The Sun today indicates that he wants to disband the armed forces of Great Britain altogether. Let's hope he stays around for more than a few months because comedy of this quality is really hard to come by in these dark times.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Thailand Express

The Sun? Tenuously ridiculing a left wing politician? Surely not   ::)

Matt2112

A far left-winger who refuses to grant them an interview at that. :)
The keys to happiness

Thailand Express

An exclusive here on the source for the Sun/ Mail / Express etc...