Are Rush Lazy tourers?

Started by mickpaz2112, June 02, 2015, 04:33:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Matt2112

Quote from: Richard_2112 on June 05, 2015, 20:25:06 pmBut looking back on all the live albums I really wished I'd seen them on the Hold Your Fire tour, but alas I was only a couple of months old when that happened...


I was 15.  Best. Tour. Evah!!!  8)
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 05, 2015, 22:24:53 pm
I was 15.  Best. Tour. Evah!!!  8)

Being as you were 15 you are in no position to decide on that my boy.

Legend in my own Mind


NeilP

^
+1

also, he'd missed the passionate, talented years in small intimate venues

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: NeilP on June 06, 2015, 09:06:44 am
^
+1

also, he'd missed the passionate, talented years in small intimate venues

Unfortunately, so did I.

Which is why although I can say with confidence that tours pre HYF were better than the HYF tour, I cannot say which is the Best. Tour. Evah.
Legend in my own Mind


Ian Harris

My first was HYF, at age 19, and I saw better! RTB at Paris Le Zenith and Vapor Trails (I caved and splurged) were better gigs, CA had better setlists. They've improved at bringing in the deep cuts - for several tours, you were lucky to get Red Barchetta in among endless retreads of In The Mood and Closer to the Heart.
London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008
Birmingham, May 2011
London, May 2011
Birmingham, 2013
London, 2013

Ian Harris

And I don't think they're lazy. It's clear their attitudes differ from one another, and that health issues are taking their toll. If anyone has a good idea as to why the UK missed so many tours in the 80s and 90s, it would be good to know - perhaps it became harder to make money here, perhaps they wanted the time for other things. I think they were surprised by, rather than indifferent to, the enthusiasm in South America. I would love a UK tour now, although it won't happen, and would have gone to the US this time had I a bit more money in the bank. I'm delighted they're still going in their early 60s. If I'm as lazy as that in my 60s, I'll be pleased. 
London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008
Birmingham, May 2011
London, May 2011
Birmingham, 2013
London, 2013

Matt2112

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on June 05, 2015, 23:49:39 pm
Being as you were 15 you are in no position to decide on that my boy.


That's moot when "that" is a FACT!! :P

Old Rush good, New Rush best.  8)
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 06, 2015, 14:57:50 pm
That's moot when "that" is a FACT!! :P

"That" is a determiner or pronoun. Now that is a FACT!

Quote]Old Rush good, New Rush best.  8)

far be it from me to comment on someone's mental health, but get some therapy boy!
Legend in my own Mind


Thailand Express

Just watched some clips of the Molson Ampitheatre gig from 1997, sheeeet as much as T4E was a dog of an album they were playing well on that tour. Happy memories of seeing that show a couple of times  8)

Quote from: Ian Harris on June 06, 2015, 13:08:05 pm
If anyone has a good idea as to why the UK missed so many tours in the 80s and 90s, it would be good to know - perhaps it became harder to make money here, perhaps they wanted the time for other things.


From what I've read certainly in the 80s once their show started to expand in size they were frustrated by the relatively poor quality of arena facilities compared with North America.  And on the RtB tour they were bummed by the lack of support they got from their record company (Atlantic?). IIRC the UK office didn't even know they were on the company books.

NeilP

1980 wasn't a bad setlist imho

2112 (minus Oracle)
Freewill
By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->
Xanadu
The Spirit of Radio
Natural Science
A Passage to Bangkok
The Trees
Cygnus X-1 (minus Part 2)
Hemispheres (minus Dionysus)
Closer To The Heart
Beneath, Between and Behind (abbreviated)
Jacob's Ladder
Working Man (reggae intro)
Finding My Way
Anthem
Bastille Day
In The Mood
Drum Solo
Encore: La Villa Strangiato (electric guitar intro)

NeilP

nor the year after ::)

2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx
Freewill
Limelight
Hemispheres: Prelude
Beneath, Between and Behind
Subdivisions (early version)
The Camera Eye
YYZ
Drum Solo
YYZ
Broon's Bane
The Trees
Xanadu
The Spirit of Radio
Red Barchetta
Closer To The Heart
Tom Sawyer
Vital Signs
Working Man
Hemispheres: Armageddon
By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->
In the End
In The Mood
2112: Grand Finale
Encore: La Villa Strangiato (classical guitar intro)

Red Star

Quote from: NeilP on June 06, 2015, 18:51:28 pm
1980 wasn't a bad setlist imho

2112 (minus Oracle)
Freewill
By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->
Xanadu
The Spirit of Radio
Natural Science
A Passage to Bangkok
The Trees
Cygnus X-1 (minus Part 2)
Hemispheres (minus Dionysus)
Closer To The Heart
Beneath, Between and Behind (abbreviated)
Jacob's Ladder
Working Man (reggae intro)
Finding My Way
Anthem
Bastille Day
In The Mood
Drum Solo
Encore: La Villa Strangiato (electric guitar intro)


This was my first ever Rush show - Permanent Waves Tour B'ham Odeon Friday June 30th 1980  8) fecking awesome!
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

DavidL

Quote from: Red Star on June 06, 2015, 19:41:36 pm
This was my first ever Rush show - Permanent Waves Tour B'ham Odeon Friday June 30th 1980  8) fecking awesome!
1st tour for me too - Hammy Odeon (5 nighter). Great set list ......apart from InThe Mood (of course).

Analog RH

My first Rush gig was Wembley on HYF and it remains my least favourite of the 30-ish times I've seen them. I recall Alex looking bored to tears for most of it.

First Toronto on t4e probably the best I've seen them.

Pains me not to have seen them in the 70s, but I take comfort from the fact I am only 43 now.  ;) ;D

pdw1

Quote from: Ian Harris on June 06, 2015, 12:58:04 pm
My first was HYF, at age 19, and I saw better! RTB at Paris Le Zenith and Vapor Trails (I caved and splurged) were better gigs, CA had better setlists. They've improved at bringing in the deep cuts - for several tours, you were lucky to get Red Barchetta in among endless retreads of In The Mood and Closer to the Heart.

ditto here except I didnt cross the pond for the Vapor trail tour.
Wasn't Paris a brilliant gig.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown