Author Topic: Still NO Euro tour news  (Read 12279 times)

ophidianman

• TNMS Member
  • Lunatics and Monsters underneath my bed.
Re: Still NO Euro tour news
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »
The T Shirt with "North America" underneath the tour dates is the first possible positive sign of European dates that I've seen. Can't remember ever seeing that on any of the official tour shirts before?

Then again it could be taken as that's the only country (apart from Canada) they are going to do gigs in?

Feck knows.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
Canada forms part of North America.  I like your thinking though
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Vapor Trailer

• TNMS Member
  • I wish I could live it all again.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 16:11:52 PM »
"Right now, UK is a no"
But later it might be a maybe.....they make a fortune over here and IF it is the last major tour they wont miss out coming over here. I heard Feb 16 is being lined up...
I wish I could live it all again.

Ian Harris

• TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 19:04:16 PM »
Stewart is usually right with these things. All the comments from the Rush camp so far point in one direction (ahem) - there are no plans to play in the UK. Alex talking about soundtracks and Neil's tendonitis and wanting to spend time with this family. Ray Danniels' comment that they had been over here for the last few tours. The comment (was it Alex?) that they may do Radio City or Massey Hall sounded like that was the extent of their 'possibles' list.

It pains me deeply to say it on the day we're seeing the great shots of the new tour, and videos on Youtube, but I can't see them coming over again. Sniff sniff, blow.
London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008
Birmingham, May 2011
London, May 2011
Birmingham, 2013
London, 2013

Norwegian

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 13:18:06 PM »
Stewart is usually right with these things.
let´s hope Stew is in the wrong this time ;)
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 13:46:39 PM »
.....they make a fortune over here
Can't see how that can be true, myself.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 14:23:20 PM »
Can't see how that can be true, myself.

Obviously there's shipping costs to factor in, but I think on one of the recent tours the London O2 show was the largest grossing gig of the whole tour. Merchendise sales were huge too. Plus the pound has strengthened too so your ticket receipts make a lot more dollars.
I think if the band don't visit the UK it won't be for financial reasons...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 14:39:56 PM by Thailand Express »

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 16:25:21 PM »
Obviously there's shipping costs to factor in, but I think on one of the recent tours the London O2 show was the largest grossing gig of the whole tour. Merchendise sales were huge too. Plus the pound has strengthened too so your ticket receipts make a lot more dollars.
I think if the band don't visit the UK it won't be for financial reasons...
I dunno - they were flogging off Sheffield tickets at half-price to try and fill the arena.  Thank feck they did mind you, or I would have missed a belter of a gig.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 16:48:59 PM »
I dunno - they were flogging off Sheffield tickets at half-price to try and fill the arena.  Thank feck they did mind you, or I would have missed a belter of a gig.
its the promoter who would have made the loss there.

Anger is a gift.

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 16:59:29 PM »
its the promoter who would have made the loss there.
Oh.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 23:14:46 PM »
aye Reg, the venue gets a fixed fee... up to promoter to fill the place... there were only 5K at Sheffield in 2013 I think?

JonL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
Accept it. I'd love to see them again, but know I won't, end of. Ho hum.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:31:14 AM by JonL »
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Valen

• TNMS Member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
I can see why Danniels would nix a UK tour, if he thought there was no money in it, after all he's the manager looking after the band's finances.

But who knows what the guys themselves are thinking and feeling?

Some thoughts:

(I) Am reading Neal's Ghost Rider Travel On The Healing Road book and am at the bit where he's beginning to drum again, but not able to commit to the band or tours. It'll be interesting to see if the later passages in the book shed any light on his thoughts when he eventually joined in again.

(ii) The Time Machine Tour - as I recall, the tour was only supposed to be in the US, but they had so much fun that they extended the tour the following year, inc UK dates.

(iii) If it's purely down to cash - there may still be an incentive to continue R40. From comments elsewhere it looks like attendance figures are way up on previous tours, as everyone turns out expecting this to be the last chance to see the band (not to mention lapsed fans keen to come on board one more time just for the pre-Permanent Waves cuts).

But I share other folks frustration - if no means no, they should issue an official statement and let us move on. (I'm trying to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Japan for next year!)

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
Nah, they'll be here next year.
Anger is a gift.

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
I have no contact with Anthem at all these days. However when I did - back when I was organising Conventions - on two separate occasions Pegi said "no Europe" and then they came anyway.

I do think they will come over here in 2016, but not for the "arena tour". My gut says they'll headlining the Rambling Man Fair, then top the bill at some of the European festivals. They'd be mad not to: 3 months work (6 weeks of rehearsals, 6 weeks playing 6 to 8 shows) probably grossing c. £5m in fees plus merch sales, with set length being 90 mins tops. Plus if they have product out - live dvd/ more reissues - playing live would boost those sales. It's a quick and effective way to top up the bank account whilst not putting in the effort (logistically / physically etc) that they do on their own tours.

Whilst I don't distract from Neil's tendonitis or his desire to be with his daughter, I really don't think he would walk away from having another US$1.5m in the bank for one more summer of work.