Author Topic: Rushfest, Bathgate 18 April  (Read 2083 times)

Valen

• TNMS Member
Rushfest, Bathgate 18 April
« on: April 08, 2015, 13:54:03 PM »
This'll be my first one.

Not sure what to expect, apart from hearing lots of Rush!

Did anyone here go to the previous ones, and how did you enjoy it? Was it just full of guys staring into their pint and/or their mobile phone for the night, or did folk break the ice and make new friends?

Muppet

• TNMS Member
  • No more tours, no more stalks :-(
    • Muppet Trading
Re: Rushfest, Bathgate 18 April
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
A few of us on here went last year.  It was the first time this event had been held and it went quite well as I recall, a very friendly day.

Chaser (Rushar) are the band this year who are worth seeing.  I don't think they're like any other tribute, more Rush on steroids perhaps but fantastic to see none the less.  Their own materiel is pretty cool too

Not sure what else is lined up this year other than a raffle and auction but I'm sure it will have the same friendly vibe from last year

One likes to believe
In the freedom of music

Valen

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 13:29:25 PM »
I haven't seen Chasar since 1984......supporting Pallas at Aberdeen Capitol.

I've still got the Chasar tape but it's mangled all to hell now - wonder if they'll have any cds on sale.

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 15:24:26 PM »
I have the Chasar tape converted to MP3 and FLAC.  I can sort you out ;)

GlezgaRed

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 20:36:09 PM »
4 of us heading through for this on Saturday, looking forward to it !!!
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
Interested in hearing your thought of the day Valen?

Valen

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 13:43:43 PM »
Mixed feelings, if I'm being honest.

It was well organised, great venue, and I was impressed at the amount of work and preparation the organisers must have put in beforehand. The charity auction in particular was really well put together with some genuinely worthwhile stuff and a very generous gathering of fans who dug deep into their pockets. I think several thousand was raised so far.

The venue was easy to get to by train or by car, and was a genuine rock bar, so I felt right at home. Lots of tv screens set up across the rooms (both upstairs and downstairs) playing non-stop Rush dvds, and then used during the live sets for those of us not at the front to see the tribute bands. Bar staff were great and drinks served up really quickly.

The programme was a varied one, and again, a lot of thought had gone into it:

- two good tribute bands, one opening the day and the other closing it (I particularly enjoyed hearing the Chasar tracks live after a 30 year gap since I last saw them!)

- a very interesting guitar class in the different types of guitars and effects used by Lifeson. I don't play myself, so it was fascinating to hear these iconic tunes being recreated and explained (even if it did take away some of the mystery).

- an acoustic set with the audience encouraged to sing along. (Highlight of the day for me.)

- a quiz (I thought I knew it all about Rush......I was wrong!)

- and of course the auction.

But.....as a first-timer to Rushfest, it was quite tough going being on my own. Everyone was friendly, but it felt like everyone knew everyone else from previous events, and it was hard not to feel like a gate-crasher on a private party.

I really tried to engage with people but ended up spending most of the day at the bar on my own. I went along to all the activities and joined in as best I could, but struggled to find a seat at a table not already occupied by a group who all knew each other, and as soon as each activity ended, same group would all take off back to the bar and I'd be left on my own again. By closing time I was kinda relieved to be on my way home.

Now, this is not a dig at the rest of the crowd - they were all friendly and supportive to one another, and no one gave me any hassle - but I'd gone along hoping to make some new friends and came away feeling pretty disappointed.

Perhaps if any of the organisers read this, they might give some thought before next year's event? Some sort of icebreaker event would really have been appreciated, or some sort of buddy system where old hands keep an eye out for new attendees?

It was a good event and raised a lot of money for a worthy cause, but not an easy gig for first timers on their own.

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 16:05:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply and have passed on what I think are positive but constructive comments to the organisers -  and sincere apologies if I blanked you! £7638.09 was raised for Macmillan :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 16:13:02 PM by Dods »

gordon63

• TNMS Member
  • I love Rush!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 16:46:05 PM »
As an organiser of RUSHfest Scotland we really appreciate you pointing this out to us , I can assure you this will be addressed for next time , thanks very much for coming along and supporting us on the day , it's our aim for everyone that comes to RUSHfest to have a good and enjoyable day . Thanks Gordon .

Valen

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
Dods, Gordon

Thanks for taking my comments on board. It was a fun event, and I'd encourage any Rush fan to go along because there's so much in it for them, and of course, you guys raise a fantastic amount for charity.

One thought occurred to me after posting.

In a different lifetime I went along to another type of annual convention, and when I signed up for it, there was a bit on the form inviting me to indicate if I was a first-timer, which I did. I was then buddied up with a regular on arrival and it made such a difference. (So much so that I went back for a further six years.)

Or, as an alternative, perhaps you could issue badges on arrival, with first-timers or lonesome crows getting a badge with a separate colour. That way regulars in the crowd can spot 'em and open up the chat.

Judging by how friendly you all were to one another, I don't have any doubts that you'd soon put newbies at ease and up their enjoyment of the day.

Congratulations on raising so much money this year!