Author Topic: High def digital audio players.  (Read 3879 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: High def digital audio players.
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 23:02:36 PM »
Still on the lookout for a high capacity solution to replace my old 80G iPod. Ibought a 128GB micro SD card, squirted 997 albums onto it and slotted it into my Sony work phone but unfortunately the iPod does beat it hands down for sound quality.

I must admit I was briefly tempted, on the basis of reviews by a Fiio X-1 despite the fact that it also does the "high definition" aural homeopathy, but it turns out that it has a 5000-odd limit on tracks anyway imposed by the firmware, so end of problem. Not the sort of guy to buy a telescope that comes with an astrology guide or a cosmology text book with an appendix written by a creationist, so I don't think I'd have bought it anyway.

I might end up having my iPod converted with a high capacity flash disk. I bloody hate Apple but I have to admit it does sound very good.

Dave64K

• TNMS Member
  • Keown does General Thade
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Dave64K

• TNMS Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 09:10:14 AM »
Not sure this counts as portable but looks an interesting option as a dac/head amp from a well known brand.

http://www.whathifi.com/chord/mojo/review

Doesn't say if you can config the headphone out as a line out.

Update.....you can configure as line level out if you want to use into an amp
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:23:55 AM by Dave64K »
How could you expect me to live without you? One cannot become accustomed to the loss of happiness.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Dave64K

• TNMS Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2015, 18:55:43 PM »
Looks like Sony has just dropped the price on their NW-ZX100HN.....which was well overpriced at launch (£500)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013YIX9CK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=W7XFKDOL4IB8&coliid=I3H9SF91ABUKOJ

Some competition for the Astell & Kern Jr (£399) although the design appoaches are quite different.

Sony has gone back to it's Walkman OS roots so there is no streaming support for TIDAL, QOBUZ et al You can get digital out using Sony's  WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable but you can't use the player's  DAC for other sources

That said you can double the 128gig on board storage with a 128 gig sd card (some bitheads have got 200 gig sd cards to work.....so 328 gig is a lot of music even if in FLAC format let alone 320kbpsMP3)

And 45 hours FLAC playnback (73 hrs MP3) is a pretty impressive battery life figure for music on the move.  :o :o ;D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 13:33:24 PM by Dave64K »