We need to talk about Boris

Started by Matt2112, July 27, 2019, 03:07:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Quote from: BasspedalMan on August 01, 2019, 16:06:20 pmBoris is a self-serving Twat, although I should really have found out what the Latin for 'Twat' was... If he has any nuts whatsoever he will revoke article 50 and start again. I am not scared of Brexit per-se but the horlicks made of it up to now means that any outcome is completely untenable.

I have to admit to enjoying his first foray to the Dispatch Box though!
You say you're not scared of Brexit.....but you're clearly against it. If leaving the EU is achieved, the outcome is tenable and has a democratic mandate.

Nick

Quote from: zoony on August 01, 2019, 14:34:28 pmThe 'backstop' will not be a problem to a PM who is committed to taking us out of the EU, unlike the last one. It is nothing more than a voodoo spell to bewitch and befuddle the feeble minded, and was invented by Theresa May as a sneaky customs union that would continue to bind us to Brussels rules.
The backstop was devised by Brits and conceded by the EU. You can't make this stuff up.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on August 01, 2019, 19:49:21 pmThe backstop was devised by Brits and conceded by the EU. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm not sure that's true, but it's unimportant. It was agreed provisionally by May and the EU. It was partly responsible for a wave of resignations of senior ministers. It's not acceptable to the current government or parliament. And it's dead now.

So here's a sorry little tale, but a timely lesson for the Conservative Party:

That's 49.5% of the vote for the democratic centre, but of course - it's split, and came to nothing. Despite a strongly pro-democratic, pro-Leave Conservative Party the Brexit Party did extremely well, with three times the share of the vote that UKIP managed in 2017. The voters will not trust the Tories until they get the referendum result over the line, and that's why there can't be a General Election until it's done.

Unless Boris and Nigel can cook up some sort of electoral pact of course, which I'd love to see.

The official opposition nearly lost their deposit during a mid-term by-election. That's a seat where they got 18% of the vote in 2017. It all makes for a very unpredictable and dangerous environment, with the British People walking a razor's edge between betrayal and salvation.

DavidL

Labour: 5.3% ;D

"Uh-oh, Jeremy Corbyn"

;D ;D ;D

Matt2112

Played a blinder there have the LDs; beat Labour to the punch months ago with a clear and firm alternative to Brexit, negotiated pacts with the Greens and PC to increase their vote share, elected a dynamic young leader over a stuffy, anonymous older one and it has all worked an absolute treat (though, to be clear, I take no pleasure from it).

James Cleverly's sour grapes this morning where he described the LD's "dirty back-room deals" may come back to haunt him when the backlash comes and the Tories make a pact with Farage.  Ah, so that will be alright, then, Mr Cleverly.

Politics is broken at the moment.
The keys to happiness

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 02, 2019, 09:40:03 amPolitics is broken at the moment.
Not so sure it's ever worked right.
However, the disconnect between the elected and the electorate has never been so great, at least not under universal suffrage.

We need a lowlife reality TV watching party.
A bleeding heart Liberal snowflake party.
And a heads down, get on with it, life's a bitch and then you die party.

I'd vote for the latter.
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 02, 2019, 09:40:03 amPlayed a blinder there have the LDs; beat Labour to the punch months ago with a clear and firm alternative to Brexit, negotiated pacts with the Greens and PC to increase their vote share, elected a dynamic young leader over a stuffy, anonymous older one and it has all worked an absolute treat (though, to be clear, I take no pleasure from it).

James Cleverly's sour grapes this morning where he described the LD's "dirty back-room deals" may come back to haunt him when the backlash comes and the Tories make a pact with Farage.  Ah, so that will be alright, then, Mr Cleverly.

Politics is broken at the moment.
Dynamic young leader? You mean another crackpot who refuses to accept democracy mate!

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on August 02, 2019, 22:59:03 pmDynamic young leader? You mean another crackpot who refuses to accept democracy mate!
I don't think they're mutually exclusive, Rob.  She's attracting votes.

I voted remain on balance, but the prevailing vote was for leave. So as far as I'm concerned, we leave, and that is that.

Swinson is an extreme remainer only because she knows it gets votes from a deeply resentful 48%; otherwise, the LDs would be toast.

And I take no pleasure from any of it pal.
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 04, 2019, 01:28:32 amI don't think they're mutually exclusive, Rob.  She's attracting votes.

I voted remain on balance, but the prevailing vote was for leave. So as far as I'm concerned, we leave, and that is that.

Swinson is an extreme remainer only because she knows it gets votes from a deeply resentful 48%; otherwise, the LDs would be toast.

Exactly. Respect to you, sir.

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 04, 2019, 01:28:32 amI don't think they're mutually exclusive, Rob.  She's attracting votes.

Fair comment mate.