Author Topic: Pre-sale today?  (Read 9407 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Re: Pre-sale today?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
According to the interview in Prog, Neil wants to do Hand Over Fist and Presto.  That'll get them packed to the rafters.....
Shame. I was sure he was going to announce that he wanted to play Anthem and The Necromancer!

Norwegian

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
any Ayr dates  announced yet  ?
only Prestwick so far...
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

Norwegian

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
There is simply no need to charge prices like that,Im not interested in an argument about declining CD sales, pirating, market forces etc

its too much, as there is little doubt that this will be a final farewell, so people will feel obliged to shell out or miss out

I find it all a bit tasteless to be frank, you have NP quoted in the last few days about the uncertainty of going out again due to his daughter and family, motivations etc, then someone in management has quoted some revenue projections, and  pictures of an R40 drumkit miraculously appear.

They may indeed have once been a good band, and I have no issue with people clinging on to that fact.
spot on Jonners, that is why I posted what I did about NP and him feeling guilty about leaving his kid/touring

Having said that, I will go and see them one more time if they come across the pond, might even stalk them 2-3 gigs. If they don´t show up, I am OK with that tbh.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
I presume it will be a case of look at ticket sales/margins/profits, then decide if Europe is viable at a slightly later date

While it was a good gig by all accounts, I presume they don't want another half full Sheffield
The new songs are an abomination

Norwegian

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
This will, more than ever,  decide if they come across the pond/where they will play

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
Im not trying to piss the avid fans off, not my style these days, if they want to see them and pay the prices they will, my views are unlikely to change that

But for me I think it is extremely cynical, and dare I say greedy. (not quite as greedy as Priest doing the Epitaph farewell tour, then touring again now however!!!)

There will be lifetime, avid fans (like many of the good folk on here) who simply cant afford to see the band this time round, or sit in seats that they would like, and deserve for showing 40 years of loyalty. There will be dads, and mums, who probably would love to take their sons/daughters to see their favourite band and show them what they have banged on about for years and years, but wont be able to afford to.
And there will be the really avid fans, who go to a few shows/stalk, and simply wont be able to. And obviously this will impact further on the band, as by all accounts a large proportion of tickets are sold to people who go to multiple gigs.
The management have rather cynically realised that the vast majority of fans of the band are middle aged/older, who are more likely to have the expendable income to afford such luxuries as $400 seats.

Getting front row tickets shouldn't be about who has the biggest wallet or which mobile phone operator they subscribe to, its about who gets up earliest, queues overnight in a sleeping bad, begs/borrows/steals favours, scours the websites and hangs on the phone at 8:59 am ready for the pre sale. Yes the band want and need to earn, but the genuine fans who want and deserve those front 20 rows because they have been in the front 20 rows for 40 years, and bought the album on release day for 40 years, should not have to spend $400 for the privilege. Fvck me that is making me angry!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems odd that I am moaning on behalf of others when its not affecting me, but it is affecting me, as its putting a very sour taste in my mouth indeed. unfortunately in their latter years, which will be freshest in the memory, the band strike me more as a company/PLC, than a group of artists, and it makes me feel really disappointed.

I missed the Brum gig on the last tour, but was more disappointed at missing the social than the gig.

Ah well.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:17:22 AM by Jonners »

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
I presume it will be a case of look at ticket sales/margins/profits, then decide if Europe is viable at a slightly later date

While it was a good gig by all accounts, I presume they don't want another half full Sheffield

I think there were only 7,800 at the MEN tbh

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »
According to the interview in Prog, Neil wants to do Hand Over Fist and Presto.  That'll get them packed to the rafters.....

ARH will be creaming himself. :)

Meself, I'd welcome Presto with wide open arms (that song has had a renaissance for me recently, out of nowhere) but there's better on that album than HOF.
HYFTOUR30

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
Getting front row tickets shouldn't be about who has the biggest wallet or which mobile phone operator they subscribe to, its about who gets up earliest, queues overnight in a sleeping bad, begs/borrows/steals favours, scours the websites and hangs on the phone at 8:59 am ready for the pre sale. Yes the band want and need to earn, but the genuine fans who want and deserve those front 20 rows because they have been in the front 20 rows for 40 years, and bought the album on release day for 40 years, should not have to spend $400 for the privilege.

Even the most slavish nu-Rush fanbois - like me - have to agree with that.  Well put, Jonners.
HYFTOUR30

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
There seem to be tickets for around the $50 mark as well which isn't too bad.  And from that far back the band won't look as old  :P

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
My first ever Rush gig (this isn't a competition now by the way) was NEC, 1988, and I had to beg my mum to get me the ticket on her credit card, I think it was £10
I was about 3 or 4 rows back, Alex side

Not sure my mother would be quite so happy shelling out $400 for that ticket......

Im dying for someone to mention inflation or drop in album sales figures

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes I paid a crisp tenner for a ticket at the SECC on the HYF tour.
Sorted a spot down the front (all standing) by queuing from around 4pm.  Ended up about half-way back after a few numbers due to the melee....

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 15:43:41 PM »
I'd rather reluctantly pay say £30 and sit in the car park next to Karl Beaston, but no way would I pay the silly amounts being bandied about for the privilege of being in the first 14 rows or so - I've been there and done that for far less money when they were a better band than they are today. :-\
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 16:38:39 PM »
RTB was better. Saw the tour advertised in the Saturday Evening Times, turned up at opening time at Virgin records on the Monday morning (expected a big queue, but there was none) and grabbed a load of tickets for the 6th row centre. £13.50 each I think they were :)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 16:57:41 PM »
ARH will be creaming himself. :)

;D

Prevaricated over this for a few days and have decided I won't be doing this tour. Main reason - I have many other things I'd rather spend a couple of grand on at present.

Secondary reasons:

1. I'm going to the Tombstone All Dayer at the Star & Garter in March, and Riff Fest in Bolton in August. On both days I will see at least six bands I currently worship. Entry is £15 for the former, free for the latter. Beer prices will be cheap. I will get to not just watch all the bands up close and personal, but hang out with them throughout the day. Travel costs will be minimal. I won't have to queue for a piss. I will know most of the people in the audience. I will have an absolute riot and will struggle to spend £100 each day. That, presently, is how I like to watch gigs. I can't get excited about an arena show at the moment, especially not at that price. I will miss the fun of traveling with friends and meeting up with them before and after the gigs, but as I've done that with Rush 32 times I don't feel hard done by. Most of the people going over to the States I can see in this country at a convention, in a bar, at a venue, or at Chez Hard.

2. Whilst the "rumour" allegedly eminating from Anthem is there won't be a European tour, they've said that twice before since R30 (including to me when I was still a fanboi and talking to Pegi and Anna). If the festival bods offer them decent money for a string of European festivals they will come here. Its all about the bottom line. I'm quite content seeing them here next year if they come. If they don't then I'll always remember the 5 or 6 shows of the 30 at which I was sober and have decent recall.  ;) ;D