WALKING

Started by zoony, February 26, 2020, 23:56:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Decided to go out immediately from work and do a 'quick walk'. 5km at 7:10 pace. I feel I've actually earned my time on the sofa tonight!

zoony

Quote from: zoony on May 05, 2020, 18:34:17 pmAs I'm back to work tomorrow, I tweaked this route today and upped it to 6.15, in the same time. Burned an extra 13 calories as well.
Upped it again today to 6.23 miles, in 1hr 38mins with a 1,381 calorie burn.

zoony

Quote from: zoony on May 11, 2020, 16:50:27 pmUpped it again today to 6.23 miles, in 1hr 38mins with a 1,381 calorie burn.
Just tweaked another route that I do, and broke my record again;

Distance - 6.35 miles
Moving time - 1hr 42mins
Elevation gain - 491 feet
Calories - 1,408

zoony

Quote from: zoony on May 12, 2020, 15:39:44 pmJust tweaked another route that I do, and broke my record again;

Distance - 6.35 miles
Moving time - 1hr 42mins
Elevation gain - 491 feet
Calories - 1,408
Upped this to 6.40 miles yesterday, but I won't be chasing any more records in the next 3 weeks, as I'm off work and will be walking 3 times a day. I did 10.07 miles yesterday on my 3 walks, but will probably average between 9.5 and 9.8 during the rest of my time off.

Matt2112

May 18, 2020, 00:19:09 am #49 Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 00:22:56 am by Matt2112
Absolute cracker of a walk with the dog this evening.  Out for almost three hours, probably covering around 5 miles, with the odd stop to take in the views as we really are blessed with some marvellous scenery round our way.  Took a fairly gentle route down and up Shibden Valley (Gentleman Jack country) along mostly unmarked roads through farmland, crossing the borough line between Calderdale and Bradford and into the village of Queensbury.

Spent a while at an exceptional - if rather windy - vantage point overlooking the next valley, gazing at my old secondary school, long closed but used nowadays for the Channel 4 series Ackley Bridge.

Then it was time to head home, so I made the steep, steep descent down the notorious Shibden Wall, aka the "Cote de Shibden", used on the Tour de Yorkshire route; every time I use that road in either direction I'm aghast that people manage cycle up it, especially if they've already done about 100 miles..!  Dusk was really setting in at this point and saw some bats darting around.

What goes down must go up, and my recent high intensity workouts paid dividends in getting us up the final calf-busting climb, up two tiers and ascending over 100 metres, before the home straight using a public footpath through a cow field, arriving back in the village just before it got too dark.

I think a beer was well-earned. :)
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 18, 2020, 00:19:09 amAbsolute cracker of a walk with the dog this evening.  Out for almost three hours, probably covering around 5 miles, with the odd stop to take in the views as we really are blessed with some marvellous scenery round our way.  Took a fairly gentle route down and up Shibden Valley (Gentleman Jack country) along mostly unmarked roads through farmland, crossing the borough line between Calderdale and Bradford and into the village of Queensbury.

Spent a while at an exceptional - if rather windy - vantage point overlooking the next valley, gazing at my old secondary school, long closed but used nowadays for the Channel 4 series Ackley Bridge.

Then it was time to head home, so I made the steep, steep descent down the notorious Shibden Wall, aka the "Cote de Shibden", used on the Tour de Yorkshire route; every time I use that road in either direction I'm aghast that people manage cycle up it, especially if they've already done about 100 miles..!  Dusk was really setting in at this point and saw some bats darting around.

What goes down must go up, and my recent high intensity workouts paid dividends in getting us up the final calf-busting climb, up two tiers and ascending over 100 metres, before the home straight using a public footpath through a cow field, arriving back in the village just before it got too dark.

I think a beer was well-earned. :)
Nice one mate, but your pace is a bit slower than what I'm used to 😉. Me and my mate, Dean took the dogs out up some fields yesterday evening, and while walking along the hedgerow of one of the fields, I noticed something in the distance that looked like a log or something sticking up. Imagine our surprise when we got nearer and it was actually a large bird of prey, and took off majestically before landing in a tree at the other end of the field. I'll be going up there again tonight to see if it's still about.

zoony

I don't know if something has changed with the Strava app, but it used to keep a running total of how many walks, distance covered and time spent walking, and then start again at the start of each month. It seems to have stopped doing that though, so I don't know my totals for last month?

döm

Quote from: zoony on June 02, 2020, 11:50:23 amI don't know if something has changed with the Strava app, but it used to keep a running total of how many walks, distance covered and time spent walking, and then start again at the start of each month. It seems to have stopped doing that though, so I don't know my totals for last month?
Unfortunately - I believe that functionality has gone behind their pay wall as have segment records etc
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

zoony

Quote from: döm on June 02, 2020, 14:55:07 pmUnfortunately - I believe that functionality has gone behind their pay wall as have segment records etc
I see. I'll have to start jotting it down then 😉.

zoony

Will have to start scaling down my long lunchtime walk from today due to a few reasons. The first is my feet are still really sore, and I can't keep on punishing them the way I have been. Also I'm back to work on Sunday after 3 weeks furlough, and steel toecapped boots aren't the most comfortable when your feet are sore. Also the weather has turned today, and it has been raining steadily since just before 7am.

zoony

Strava no longer adds up your total miles for the month on its free version now, but I had an email from Google maps the other day to say that I'd walked 178 miles during May.

Matt2112

There's a local peacock - known as "Gary" - who sometimes goes on a village walkabout and there was a flurry of neighbourhood social media activity over the last few days as he'd been spotted and photographed on folks' drives and in gardens.

It was only a matter of time that I saw him for myself while walking the dog and, sure enough, last night I saw him nonchalantly strutting down a roadside pavement before turning into a courtyard.  He does cut a pretty striking figure but it's still a slightly surreal experience when you encounter him. :)

I've been having relatively late walks recently, taking advantage of the daylight lasting until about 10pm at this time of year.  Strange when I think about it that there's a six-hour swing in the sunset times over the course of the year.
The keys to happiness

zoony

My mate Dean has been telling me a route that he used to jog when he was playing football, and that we would have to take the dogs on it one of the days. Well today was that day, and it turned out to be my longest yet at 6.63 miles with a 708 feet elevation gain. It took us 2hrs 8 minutes, so not exactly bombing it, but the weather was decent, and we had a good chat while taking in the lovely scenery, including the river Severn.

zoony

Quote from: zoony on June 12, 2020, 19:23:35 pmMy mate Dean has been telling me a route that he used to jog when he was playing football, and that we would have to take the dogs on it one of the days. Well today was that day, and it turned out to be my longest yet at 6.63 miles with a 708 feet elevation gain. It took us 2hrs 8 minutes, so not exactly bombing it, but the weather was decent, and we had a good chat while taking in the lovely scenery, including the river Severn.
Did this walk again today, just me and Maple, and with a few tweaks upped it to 7.91 miles in 2hrs 10 minutes. My feet are a tad sore now though!

zoony

157 miles on my walks for June. Got a new pair of trail trainers yesterday, decided to try some Salomons. Sent the Karrimors back, didn't even have them 3 months and they have both split on the side already. Hopefully I will get my money back.