Author Topic: re-wrapping drums  (Read 2387 times)

Thenop

• TNMS Member
re-wrapping drums
« on: April 12, 2014, 18:57:59 PM »
Anyone have experience doing it yourself?
I want my old Rogers to be updated a bit. Preferably something sparkly of shiny  :P Perhaps a silver or gold sparkle or mane champagne. When it comes to tuning drums et al, I have done it plenty, but actually messing with the hardware… well not so much. So I am looking into sourcing it out. Depends a bit on the cost of course but seeing that my '77 Rogers has still some miles left I am willing to shell out a bit.

So, re-wrapping yes or no?
Arrogance Is Bliss

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
  • We are all made of stars.
    • My blog
Re: re-wrapping drums
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
I want my old Rogers to be updated a bit. Preferably something sparkly of shiny  :P Perhaps a silver or gold sparkle or mane champagne. When it comes to tuning drums et al, I have done it plenty, but actually messing with the hardware… well not so much. So I am looking into sourcing it out. Depends a bit on the cost of course but seeing that my '77 Rogers has still some miles left I am willing to shell out a bit.

I did it back in the day and it was fine. All the hardware back to the shell and a sharp knife to get the new finish on perfect. Hardware back on. It worked fine. I was almost an expert by the time i got to the last drum. Took bloody ages, mind I seem to recall. Like - days.
Got to be a "how to" video on the interweb somewhere?

But I have an issue with sparkle and I'd advise avoiding it. :)

Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Seems a shame to alter a classic kit..... :-\

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
  • We are all made of stars.
    • My blog
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 16:42:42 PM »
I like how to's, but I am not going to attempt it. I see your point with sparkle, bit I still like to look of it. It has tiny glass fragments in there so that may be a bit of an issue.
Still considering it but I have to see the price tag first.

And I don't mind messing with the original finish, it is screwed up on the floor tom anyways.
Besides, I like the kit and want it to be around for a couple of more years so it is inevitable to do something to it.

Arrogance Is Bliss

Rob Barchetta

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 17:00:59 PM »
I've got a friend (well, a friend of a friend, who I've got to know also) who runs 'Rusty Drums', based in north Herts.

I've just checked their website and they appear to be updating it  ::) but it did used to show good info on what they do.

This site has some info tho:  http://www.vintageandrare.com/dealer/Rusty-Drums-5235

I know they import mainly vintage drums etc from the States and do a bit of restoration work where necessary. The above site does state:

"We also carry out restorations which will transform your tired, 'over-gigged' drums." so they might be able to help with your requirement.

If you do contact them and want to say where you heard about them, just say 'Robert - one of the twins from the MMA' sent you  :)

They also have a YouTube channel.... http://www.youtube.com/user/RustyDrumsUK  which you might find of interest...

Good luck either way!
Can't get enough of that long hair music...

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 18:57:05 PM »
Jeez,

been a long time.
Thanks for the advice & link Rob! I have decided to go and give it a try myself. Have to find some time to get around to it though. But I will. Also found out that removing the old wrap will really be the hard work.
BTW: undecided on what finish… sparkle for sure ( NOT glitter) but I am not use on silver, green or black. I like green, classic Bonham looking. But then again silver is a classic, can't go wrong there.
Any advice?

Arrogance Is Bliss

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
Sooooo… I have decided to do it myself.
I ordered some silver wrap, ensured I have the proper tools and started with the 12" tom. I hardly use it (22-13-16 setup) so if I screw it up there's no harm done.
The removing of the old wrap is the worst part I am told. Actually, it is the glue that is the most difficult. The wrap itself came off easily after I used a heat gun (normally used to heat paint before scraping it off). Like a charm! 

Basically there's 2 ways of the removing the glue without damaging the wood (too much).
1. heat it and rub it off with a slab of leather - tried it, looks fantastic but will take me the better part of the year…
2. sanding, tried it by hand, same result as above, will cost me the same amount of time. So, off to buy a little sanding machine this afternoon.

And away we go!

Will try & post some pics. throughout.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 19:11:31 PM »
ok, nearly a week in and only the 12" tom has been completely stripped…. What a job. I have tried literally everything, sanding (not the way to go after all), all sorts of potions.. until today I came across something made specifically for removing old glue. Excellent! So I striped the 16" of its wrap and have made a start removing the old glue. Still some time to go. In stripping the old wrapping I only noticed how bad it really was. its of damages and small cracks.
I will continue, but it is a hell of a job… pictures to follow for sure later.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 14:52:37 PM »
FINALLY, some pictures… ;)
So where am I?
I have stripped all toms & bass drum from the regional wrap and glue. Especially the glue was a nightmare, I think it took me 20+ hours to just get rid of that  :o
but the result is fantastic. Nice and smooth, clean & sanded.
Ok, some pics then:
All hardware taken off and zip bagged. Good tip from Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche drummer). I tend to be a bit un-organized so… not anymore:

Also, by my own account, I marked everything on the inside of the drums as well. You'd be amazed how much the up / downside look alike..

Then, there was some hole filling to do. It's an old kit, so some of the original tom holders went directly into the toms. Not anymore of course…. independent tom hanging lies within my grasp.

I will have a lot of fun trying to put these fellows back in place… they came of quite easily. I bout if double sided tape should do the trick though

This will be the new outside look, silver sparkle:

And of course, new heads. Otherwise it would be a like stripping your guitar and playing with the old strings after you repolished it:

And then, the drums themselves:

So, hopefully by this time next week, I am done and will be able to post some pics of the final result! I say hopefully, because one of the 16"hoops turned out to be bent out of shape. No new head wold have fit in there so I ordered a new one. Turns out they have a delivery time of 3-7 days... ::) Oh well. Let's hope I will get it coming week.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 19:56:13 PM »
First tom done. This is the 12". Kind of a try out, it turned out quite OK.

Arrogance Is Bliss

Rob Barchetta

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 17:07:16 PM »
That looks brand new  8)
Have you got any 'before' pics?
Can't get enough of that long hair music...

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 17:24:18 PM »
Yes I do, will post shortly, together with full kit shots. I am taking it back to the rehearsal room this Saturday so will shoot some pics then.
I tell you, it was quite the job but it is worth it! It looks brand new indeed.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 18:37:55 PM »
Alright then. First a before, abet some years ago. You can clearly see the deteriorating of the wrap on the floor already. Apart from this, there hairline like fractures across all the drums. Tis bothered me for years. Unlike old guitars, this does not give 'character' because it is a wrap and not the body of the drum itself.

And now some new pics, take this afternoon

Arrogance Is Bliss