My Rock Photo Archive

Started by rascal houdi, February 28, 2014, 23:04:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rascal houdi

February 28, 2014, 23:04:55 pm Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 13:47:16 pm by rascal houdi
As a few of you on here may know, I was a bit of a budding Rock photographer (strictly amateur) back in the day.  A couple of months ago I started sorting through all my old negs & thought it was about time I got around to scanning them for posterity as they've been sitting there doing nothing for a quarter of a century or more.  So, I've started what is turning into a huge, time-consuming project but I think the results are worth it.

The period covered is late '78 to '87 by which time it was getting harder to get the camera in without hassle.  Mainly centred around the legendary Hammersmith Odeon with a few other London & provincial venues thrown in along with the odd festival.  I've decided to do pretty much everything (in date order, earliest at bottom of page) so there will be some inevitable lapses in taste as we head into the mid-'80's. The aim is to upload on a weekly basis until I'm done.  As I've only done around 15-20% so far this should be going for about a year. I've uploaded the first batch here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118766505@N06/

For those of you unfamiliar with Flickr, Photostream is the default page which gives you smaller versions of everything.  Click on the desired image for full size + caption.  I've also started organising them into sets (see 'Sets' tab) by artist which will come into it's own as  I upload more by the same artists.

Enjoy!
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)

BaldiePete

Wow ! Some absolute crackers there.  8)

pdw1

Excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing these.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Nïckslïkk2112

Not too shabby :)

The UFO ones gave me flashbacks - even though I was at Sheffield.
Reminded me that I didn't get to see Rush on the Hemisphere's tour 'cos it was too close to my O-levels according to the owd bloke who shelled out for my concert tickets.
Legend in my own Mind

DaveC

Nice - saw the same bands at different venues so brought back some god memories. Cheers.
DaveC

Thenop

Very good Mark, especially like the colours in most pictures.
I am sure everyone tries to take pictures but is very rare the result is good.
Yours are very good, which is quite a feat. 
Arrogance Is Bliss

captainkurtz

I know you've been threratening to do this for awhile - these are amazing - i'll bookmark this page.

Really wish I could have seen some of these gigs.............
Anger is a gift.

Bez

Fantastic stuff mate....there's a fair few of those that I was probably at as well -although I'd be guessing at the exact dates. I wish I'd kept all of my ticket stubs :( When you've finished this project I'm looking forward to the "complete audio archive".... ;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Straight Shooter

Superb stuff; appreciate your time in doing this...  8)
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Andrew_Haldane

mickpaz2112

Excellent Mark,i had a sneaky feeling you where a closet Saxon fan.
Some people say they've seen angels,
I've seen United,
That's enough.

Rob Barchetta

Quote from: rascal houdi on February 28, 2014, 23:04:55 pm
As a few of you on here may know, I was a bit of a budding Rock photographer (strictly amateur) back in the day.  A couple of months ago I started sorting through all my old negs & thought it was about time I got around to scanning them for posterity as they've been sitting there doing nothing for a quarter of a decade or more.  So, I've started what is turning into a huge, time-consuming project but I think the results are worth it.

The period covered is late '78 to '87 by which time it was getting harder to get the camera in without hassle.  Mainly centred around the legendary Hammersmith Odeon with a few other London & provincial venues thrown in along with the odd festival.  I've decided to do pretty much everything (in date order, earliest at bottom of page) so there will be some inevitable lapses in taste as we head into the mid-'80's. The aim is to upload on a weekly basis until I'm done.  As I've only done around 15-20% so far this should be going for about a year. I've uploaded the first batch here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118766505@N06/

For those of you unfamiliar with Flickr, Photostream is the default page which gives you smaller versions of everything.  Click on the desired image for full size + caption.  I've also started organising them into sets (see 'Sets' tab) by artist which will come into it's own as  I upload more by the same artists.

Enjoy!

'quarter of a decade'  ---  quarter of a century, I think you mean!

keep up the good work Mark - I remember some of those pics from back in the day, looking at them in your gran's house in Barnet  :o
Can't get enough of that long hair music...

Matt2112

Excellent stuff.  :)

Quote from: rascal houdi on February 28, 2014, 23:04:55 pmthere will be some inevitable lapses in taste as we head into the mid-'80's.

On the contrary...  ;)
The keys to happiness

Rob Barchetta

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 01, 2014, 00:19:20 am
Not too shabby :)

The UFO ones gave me flashbacks - even though I was at Sheffield.
Reminded me that I didn't get to see Rush on the Hemisphere's tour 'cos it was too close to my O-levels according to the owd bloke who shelled out for my concert tickets.

I was at those Rush gigs - May 4th & 6th at Hammy Odeon, right in the middle of my O levels if I recall (same for Rasc, as we were in the same class!) - dunno how I got away with it tbh  :o But it probably accounts for some of the results I got  :-[
Can't get enough of that long hair music...

rascal houdi

No, I left school the year before, you stayed on.
There's only two Phil Spectors in this world...and I'm one of them! (Guy Stevens)