Author Topic: Sonos  (Read 5827 times)

Fishy

• TNMS Member
Sonos
« on: November 18, 2013, 15:55:30 PM »
anybody using this.. if i just wanted to stream music say to one room what the hell do i need.. been thru the sonos pages and there seems to dozens of devices/ wireless bridges etc etc

Plain and simple... already have speakers available and can connect into my local home network just trying to clarify if Sonos have a device that would do this ? and if so which bloody one is it ffs...

From the Land of Honest Men.

JonL

• TNMS Member
Re: Sonos
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 17:50:38 PM »
I just take my ipod into the kitchen with me.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 19:54:55 PM »
yes but if i had the sonos app and whatever device i need then i could stream it from my kitchen as well..

PB

• TNMS Member
  • Cmon the hoops!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 13:57:06 PM »
If you get the bridge (£40 ish) connect this to your router, then download sonos app onto tablet, phone, pc. Connect bridge and speaker(s) using the app and then you can control everything from one device.

I have a Playbar in the living room connected to the tv and a play 3 in the kitchen and bedroom. I have the app on my ipad to control everything, so when my wife is listening to Adele in the kitchen I can have Rush on in the living room.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 14:44:44 PM »
wonderful thanks... so the speakers can connect to bridge is that right  ?

PB

• TNMS Member
  • Cmon the hoops!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 14:57:36 PM »
Yes the speakers connect wirelessly via bridge which is connected to your router.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 15:24:00 PM »
ah right so i need to grab some wireless speakers ? i thought i could maybe plug in existing speakers  ...? d'uh..

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 17:45:39 PM »
I'd recommend a vortexbox (run from laptop if it's quiet enough) - allows streamed FLAC rather than MP3 and can run through hifi system with most DAC's

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 13:40:49 PM »
I just bought a Sonos system ( this morning). A bridge which connects (wired) to my router, a Play1 speaker which is in the kitchen and a Connect which is connected to my hi-fi amp in the living room via the usual line-in RCA connectors. Both of them connect wirelessly to the Bridge although wired is an option. I have a NAS connected to the router with all my CD's ripped to FLAC as the main music source but have also linked my Spotify and Amazon Cloud Player accounts to it. Setup is a piece of piss and the iPad app is very good and easy enough to use.

I love it already. Technology is great  ;D

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 13:42:46 PM »
I just bought a Sonos system ( this morning). A bridge which connects (wired) to my router, a Play1 speaker which is in the kitchen and a Connect which is connected to my hi-fi amp in the living room via the usual line-in RCA connectors. Both of them connect wirelessly to the Bridge although wired is an option. I have a NAS connected to the router with all my CD's ripped to FLAC as the main music source but have also linked my Spotify and Amazon Cloud Player accounts to it. Setup is a piece of piss and the iPad app is very good and easy enough to use.

I love it already. Technology is great  ;D

what was the money damage for all that lot  ?  :)

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 13:45:34 PM »
£449 for the Sonos kit (170 for the Play1 and 279 for the Connect). The Bridge is free if you buy another Sonos component, although that offer ends on the 31st of this month. They're normally about £40.

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 13:55:56 PM »
£449 for the Sonos kit (170 for the Play1 and 279 for the Connect). The Bridge is free if you buy another Sonos component, although that offer ends on the 31st of this month. They're normally about £40.

and what establishment was it procured from may i ask ?   :)

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 14:06:29 PM »
James Morrow, a local hi-fi shop here in Edinburgh. They had a system setup to play around with and the guy was very knowledgeable, unlike the numpty in John Lewis who didn't know what gapless playback was.  >:(

http://www.james-morrow.com/

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
any discounts available for referring new customers via a Rush forum  :)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 15:33:09 PM »
Just ordered the play 1 + free bridge to test the waters, got my eye on a playbar if all goes to plan and perhaps a play 5 for the kitchen, addictive stuff!.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.