What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

January 10, 2021, 12:09:31 pm #2670 Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:11:10 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: Straight Shooter on January 09, 2021, 18:39:16 pmDid you catch the Pink Floyd tribute?
Yep, not too subtle a reference! :)

Great use of The Court Of The Crimson King also.
The keys to happiness

Jonners

Quote from: pxr5 on January 09, 2021, 23:15:19 pmWe've just completed the second series of The Mandalorian. The first series was excellent, and this was even better. It's just Star Wars, but done in a way that takes all the best styles and ideas from the movies and improves upon them. Everything is spot on and you can tell that all those involved wanted to really capture the true essence of Star Wars. I just wish it were longer than 8 shortish episodes, but maybe that's partly what makes it so good. Easily 10/10.
is there a way I can watch this without subscribing to yet another TV channel?
The new songs are an abomination

Nick

Not sure but I think you can get it free for 6 months if you are with O2
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

pxr5

Quote from: Nick on January 11, 2021, 12:35:54 pmNot sure but I think you can get it free for 6 months if you are with O2
It's the only way I know of for free.

Matt2112

Onward 

Pixar film (watched in 3D) with a premise that's braver and weightier than the average - a sort of "Frozen for boys" to put it crudely - and setting itself such a high bar of balancing this with the usual quick-witted gags and eye-popping visuals seems to prevent it reaching the remarkable heights of, for example, the Toy Story films.

Still, the central brotherly relationship, voiced by Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, is always engaging, and the potentially divisive ending I thought worked all the better for it being relatively understated and not quite as the Pixar playbook might have suggested.
The keys to happiness

GlezgaRed

The Outsider - 7/10 Stephen King story that was a good watch with several well know faces in it.

The Serpent - 9/10 binged watched all the episodes on the i-player over 3 nights.

Counterpart Series 1 - 9/10 superb stuff and can't wait to watch the 2nd season @ pxr5.
Glasgow 1988, 1992, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013
Prague 2004
Stockholm 2007
Dublin 2011
Newcastle 2011
Manchester 2013
Amsterdam 2013
Koln 2013
Berlin 2013
Vancouver 2015
Seattle 2015
Portland 2015

dom

Watching a few series on Netflix at the moment.

Back to Life - a BBC dark comedy drama with Daisy Haggard who also co-wrote it.  Really good and I'm surprised I missed it (never even heard of it when it was shown originally)

Community A sit-com set in a US further education college, pretty decent.  It has a very young looking John Oliver and not so young Chevy Chase.  Enjoying the first season

The Kominsky Method.  A vehicle for Michael Douglas - enjoying the drive so far!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

pxr5

Quote from: GlezgaRed on January 13, 2021, 16:53:02 pmThe Outsider - 7/10 Stephen King story that was a good watch with several well know faces in it.

The Serpent - 9/10 binged watched all the episodes on the i-player over 3 nights.

Counterpart Series 1 - 9/10 superb stuff and can't wait to watch the 2nd season @ pxr5.
Glad you're enjoying Counterpart :) The Serpent looks interesting, might give that a go. I've not heard of The Outsider, but just looked it up on imdb - looks my kind of show, thanks.

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

The Letter R

Lupin - On Netflix - only about 5 episodes in this first series but a decent watch - although dubbed from French so expect out of sync lip movement  :)

dom

Quote from: The Letter R on January 15, 2021, 09:53:53 amLupin - On Netflix - only about 5 episodes in this first series but a decent watch - although dubbed from French so expect out of sync lip movement  :)
I think its possible to get the original with subtitles on netflix isn't it?
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

DavidL

The Pembrokeshire Murders. ITV dramatization  of the re-opening of the case against John Cooper (played by Keith Allen). Very interesting subject matter and a great insight into the incredible work carried out by forensic scientists. 
The couple that were murdered by Cooper on the coastal footpath were from Witney. I was in the same class as their son Tim in secondary school (his parents were murdered about 10 years after we left school)
Last night there was a follow-up programme featuring the actual team that successfully linked Cooper to three horrendous crimes and put him behind bars for life. Good watch

Nick

Quote from: The Letter R on January 15, 2021, 09:53:53 amLupin - On Netflix - only about 5 episodes in this first series but a decent watch - although dubbed from French so expect out of sync lip movement  :)
Can't be doing with that, too distracting.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

The Letter R

Ali

Riverside - Lost 'n' Found, live in Tilburg 👌
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid