What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 17, 2020, 11:54:31 amI can't help feeling this would have been tailor-made for Stanley Kubrick, in whose hands this might well have been a masterpiece.

See Paths Of Glory.  So good they banned it in France for 20 years
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 17, 2020, 11:54:31 am1917

A victim of its own success this - presented as a near-continuous 105-minute take with only one obvious cut, the technical achievements of the camera work, editing and Roger Deakins' (rightly Oscar-nominated) cinematography are so astounding that, for me, they outshone the narrative and dramatic tension of the film itself. Hence this is, bizarrely, less than the sum of its astonishing parts.

If war films by their nature are intended to convey a profound message to represent the human horrors of conflict, then for me this got somewhat lost in the relentlessly ostentatious, how-did-they-film-that camera work, so it all serves mainly as a primer to watch the various "making of" featurettes, which are actually more engaging than the main event.

It's all hugely impressive but unfortunately I didn't feel anything in my bones, which is where the best films have their effect.

I can't help feeling this would have been tailor-made for Stanley Kubrick, in whose hands this might well have been a masterpiece.
I've only seen it once - at the IMax - and came away having enjoyed it, but questioning some of history.... 7/10 would seem fair
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

pxr5

Finished The Boys. I enjoyed Series 2 as much as the first, despite some indifferent reviews. Of course there will be more to come which I'll be glad to see. Watched a movie tonight: Project Power. A great premise, and despite a promising start, was poorly executed - a pill that gives a random super power for 5 minutes sounds a great idea, but the movie just seemed to meander and went nowhere 5/10.

döm

Watched the whole of Emily in Paris over the course of week. Despite the fact that it was frothy and light, containing little of substance and being very cliche ridden ( although I've no doubt some on here would see it as a very accurate picture of the French 😂) I really enjoyed it. Paris is truly a stunning City and the show used it wonderfully as a back drop.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Bez

Quote from: döm on October 18, 2020, 12:37:55 pmWatched the whole of Emily in Paris over the course of week. Despite the fact that it was frothy and light, containing little of substance and being very cliche ridden ( although I've no doubt some on here would see it as a very accurate picture of the French 😂) I really enjoyed it. Paris is truly a stunning City and the show used it wonderfully as a back drop.
Mrs B is watching that downstairs....I'm upstairs doing a combination of work, browsing and keeping an eye on the cycling. I'm contemplating a final cut of the lawn before winter sets in.

I guess that tells you my opinion ;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

pxr5

The Edge - The highs and lows of the England cricket team's rise from the pits in 2009. Excellent documentary and shows great insight into what's involved for the players and coaches in becoming number 1. Recommended if you like cricket. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lhvt/the-edge

pxr5

Yesterday at 13:32:05 #2511 Last Edit: Yesterday at 13:33:45 by pxr5
The Haunting of Bly Manor https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10970552/ (loosely based on Henry James's work The Turn of the Screw). It's not a sequel to the superb The Haunting of Hill House and is a standalone series. We are half way through so far and whilst it's a slow burner, the acting, script and story are excellent. There are lots of small mysteries happening and it's interesting trying to work out what's going on. Highly recommended 9/10.

Nick

Unsolved mysteries series 2 on Netflix.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.