What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Series watching at the moment . . . 

Hunted - on the final series now.
Castle - on series 4.
The Blacklist - also on series 4, and we've got Blacklist: Redemption waiting to be watched at the appropriate moment (after 4.13 I gather).

Films - over the last 2 weekends, we watched Despicable Me 1 and 2. Minions: The Road To Gru will be next weekend and then Despicable Me 3 after that - which is the only one that I haven't seen as yet.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

zoony

Quote from: zoony on June 21, 2020, 13:21:37 pmStarted to watch the series of the best ever Bug Brother shows that have been on the last week. Don't watch it these days, but used to enjoy the first 7 or 8 years of it.
I'm on the 7th one out of 10 so far, and have to admit that I've been a bit underwhelmed by most of the episodes that they've shown so far. I think they would have been better showing a highlights show of each series to be honest.

pxr5

We finished Series 1 of Doom Patrol last night. It all got a lot weirder at the end (and it was odd enough before then), and I'm still not sure what to make of it all. I'll hang on for a while with the second series until more episodes have dropped. Next series to watch - either Black Summer or the new Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. There is also the Korean zombie TV show called Kingdom and the German series Dark. Choices, choices.

döm

Quote from: zoony on June 30, 2020, 18:18:49 pmI'm on the 7th one out of 10 so far, and have to admit that I've been a bit underwhelmed by most of the episodes that they've shown so far. I think they would have been better showing a highlights show of each series to be honest.
agree just lazily showing the entire show interspersed with vapid fawning comments from Davina and that other chap were just schedule filling exercises.

I watched the episode from BB6 I think  where the contestants had to stay in cardboard boxes for as long as possible.  What a universally hateful group of people!
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

pxr5

Chose to watch Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. This has nothing to do with the original series with Eva Green and Timothy Dalton, but is excellent in its own right. Set in 1938 Los Angeles it follows a new LA detective from a Mexican background who has to deal with grisly murders, the rise of fascism in the USA and the physical presence of evil and good (evil in the form of Natalie Dormer playing numerous parts). Good to see Rory Kinnear too (who played Frankenstein's monster extremely well in the original Penny Dreadful series) as a Doctor/Nazi. 8/10 so far (3 eps in).

pxr5

^ Finished Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. Pretty good overall but dragged a bit near the end. 1938 LA was captured very well. 7/10.

Matt2112

Apocalypse Now (1979 original version)

At last, I've seen this classic.  Worth making the time for; keen to follow-up with Heart Of Darkness now which is apparently equally remarkable.
The keys to happiness

Bez

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 03, 2020, 18:02:42 pmApocalypse Now (1979 original version)

At last, I've seen this classic.  Worth making the time for; keen to follow-up with Heart Of Darkness now which is apparently equally remarkable.
I read the book 25 years ago - it was part of Mrs B's access course to get into uni, so I needed to be able to discus the themes etc.
Maybe it was because it was "work" rather than pleasure, but I didn't get on with it that well...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Bez

Quote from: Bez on June 26, 2020, 16:19:10 pmThe new Perry Mason from HBO.

Shows promise. Note sure if Matthew Rhys is the right man for the central role - good as he is generally...
Episode 2 was good. Building nicely

Bez

Quote from: Bez on June 28, 2020, 21:03:41 pmCondor

Remake of the 3 Days of the Condor with updated setting.

2 episodes in and OK so far (it has passed my lack of tolerance filter) ...
Also good....up to episode 6 and plenty of tension...

Straight Shooter

Elton John - The Playhouse, Edinburgh 1976.

Stumbled on this 2hr solo show on his official YouTube channel. 

Ended up watching it all. Wonderful stuff!
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

zoony

RUSH - TIME MACHINE 2011, live in Cleveland.

Bisto

Watched the last Jedi on my new phone in the wee small hours this morning....much better than I had expected given some of the negative reviews it has received (the film that is)
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

pdw1

Staged
David Tennant and Michael Sheen playing themselves under lockdown and trying to rehearse a play and going slightly mad
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08dnl67
6 20 minute chunks of beautifully observed life under lockdown and incredibly funny
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pxr5

A couple of new horrors last night:

Funhouse - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6852534/ - A Big Brother situation where the contestants get bumped off one at a time when they get the fewest votes. I think it's supposed to highlight the shallowness of celebrity. The effort was there despite some poor acting and a dodgy script. 6/10

Beneath Us - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5092484/ - A story about a group of undocumented Mexican workers in the USA getting a building job at a well-to-do couple's house. This is quite sad really, when desperate for money what these workers will do in dealing with the worst of American society. 7/10