What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Quote from: pxr5 on February 09, 2020, 15:16:07 pmWatchmen (TV Series). Only 2 episodes in so far. Absolutely loving it. I have watched the movie, but don't recall too much about it, or the world that exists for Watchmen. But this TV show is totally out there and to be honest all a bit bonkers. I hope it keeps up in the current vein as the reviews aren't great. Good to see Don Johnson and Jeremy Irons hamming it up too. Great stuff so far.
There is the watchmen universe. Then there is all the politics about the actual wrting team which is very complicated. Which could be a couple of series in itself.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

pxr5

We finished Watchmen. It was good as a whole, but I think it was a bit too ambitious as it got to the end. It would have been better to keep it simple. Enjoyed it though - but there isn't talk of a second series as yet.

At the moment, half way through Series 1 of True Detective. No idea why I left it so long as it is very, very good. I'll probably give series 2 and 3 a go as well, even though the reviews aren't as good as for the first.

DavidL

Classic Albums feat. Tears for Fears -  Songs from the Big Chair. BBC4

captainkurtz

Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2020, 23:14:12 pmMight go up (and across) to the Sage or down (and across again!) to Leicester, we'll see 😀

Hass, definitely worth catching at the Sage - with a back catalogue as good as their's it's a no brainer 😉

Managed to swap the dvd with the other copy in the record shop and that plays fine 👍
Sage is a beautiful, fantastic venue - so definitely recommended for a visit!  Looking forward to the show...
Anger is a gift.

pxr5

True Detective S01 done, now on to 2. 1 was excellent, but 2 has new actors, new setting. I like Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn, so hoping for good things.

pxr5

OK, True Detective Series 2 now finished. At first I didn't like it at all, the first few episodes were confusing and all over the place. But about half way through, it got tighter and things started to become much more coherent, making for quite compulsive viewing. Colin Farrell was excellent and after a while Vince Vaughn I warmed to as well (in certain scenes he was calmly menacing). Rachel McAdams was very good too, as was Taylor Kitsch (him of John Carter fame). Looking back at both series I think I preferred the 2nd a little more than the first. Both definitely recommended - now on to Series 3.

pdw1

Watched Donnie Darko last night with my 2 teenage kids.
Such a clever film.
Scared the life out of my daughter  ;D
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pdw1

February 23, 2020, 11:24:02 am #1957 Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 13:48:50 pm by pdw1
And watched Cache (Hidden) the other night for the first time in years. I'd forgotten just how brilliant this film is. Nothing much happens through the whole film and yet the tension is just ratcheed up and up. Recommend if you can put up with subtitles.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Matt2112

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

Western anthology from The Coen Brothers.  Their usual trademarks all present, so some moments of genius, some very memorable characters, delicious dialogue, black comedy and cartoonish violence, but overall not in the same league as the likes of Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski et al.
The keys to happiness

pxr5

Westworld - Series 2. First season was OK although a little confusing. Only 2 eps in to the 2nd series so far, but there is a lot going on already, but it's hard to work out the timing (if you know the first series, the timing was significant). Interesting to see what transpires as the next series is due out any time. 

I notice too that the 2nd half of The Walking Dead has just restarted, but much better than that is the news that a new season of Better Call Saul has just begun.

döm

The Death Of Stalin. Enjoyable romp displaying the evil and dog eat dog World of Soviet Communism.  

Despite its ability to shock, it was also manages to be humourous too.  Highly recommended.

Also caught Jojo Rabbit.  With Stephen Merchant and Rebel Wilson in the cast I was expecting more humour here too.  It's there but it was a tough ask considering the subject matter and they didn't quite manage to pull it off. It didn't quite gel as well as the Death of Stalin.  Still worth a watch though.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Matt2112

Better Call Saul Season 5 Ep 1

This has been a consistently brilliant show so far and there's no sign of that changing.  At least as good as Breaking Bad.
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Bez

Quote from: pdw1 on February 23, 2020, 11:20:29 amWatched Donnie Darko last night with my 2 teenage kids.
Such a clever film.
Scared the life out of my daughter  ;D
Worthwhile checking out the internet for all the stuff that you missed!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

The Letter R

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 25, 2020, 13:28:36 pmBetter Call Saul Season 5 Ep 1

This has been a consistently brilliant show so far and there's no sign of that changing.  At least as good as Breaking Bad.
I didn't know the new series was out will need to catch up on this. 
I thought up to the end of series 3 it was better than BB but series 4 seemed to dip a bit especially the bits with the German builders......and I loved the interplay with his Brother in previous series too which was obviously lacking in series 4.
Hopefully the new series will put it back on track. The time line by the end of this series vs the start of BB will be interesting....can't be much wiggle room left.