• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 16, 2019, 15:24:08 pm

What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 10:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2019, 13:57:30 pmBlack Mirror new series
Very unimpressed, looks like its one series too far.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Reg

Warming up for Muse tomorrow night by dipping in to the Rome BluRay (which is rather good by the way).
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Matt2112

June 13, 2019, 14:03:54 pm #1802 Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 23:38:47 pm by Matt2112
Enemy

Still working very gradually through Denis Villeneuve's filmography (on the strength of a recommendation from Reg from what seems ages ago now), and with this I've covered his (relatively) mainstream output; just the early, obscure, pre-breakthrough ones to seek out now.

This is probably his strangest film, a slow-burning psychological thriller with the excellent Jake Gyllenhaal seemingly trying to repair his marriage while going through a kind of neurotic breakdown in which he appears to have discovered he has a doppelganger.

It's absorbing for most of its running time but the ending seems abrupt and isn't quite the gut-punch parting shot it might have been.

Still, along the way there's plenty of very accomplished Lynchian "beats"  - which is the sort of thing that's right up my alley - and overall it's yet more evidence that Villeneuve is one of the most formidably talented directors working today.
The keys to happiness

döm

Years and Years.  Russell T. Davies' latest.

Following the lives of a Manchester family over the next few years.  it soon becomes a dystopian future with Europe in flames, where the US drops a nuclear bomb on Chinese land, and where the UK's pm is a Katie Hopkins type (played by Emma Thompson).  Imagines that the future of IT  involves its ever closer integration with human bodies.  A little far-fetched at times but just leaves it believable enough to keep me watching
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Matt2112

BlacKkKlansman

Very good - entertaining and poignant; highly recommended.
The keys to happiness

Bez

Ozark

Terrific stuff. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end...season 3 due this year. Recommended
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

captainkurtz

Quote from: Bez on July 11, 2019, 23:33:54 pmOzark

Terrific stuff. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end...season 3 due this year. Recommended
Yeah, loved that.

struggling through season 3 of Stranger Things.  Can't seem to get more than 15 mins in before falling asleep.  Can't really remember seasons 1 and 2 much either, which doesn't help.
Anger is a gift.

Reg

I'm working my way through the last season of Burn Notice but took a little break to watch a film on Amazon Prime I've had on my watch list for a while: 

Infinity Chamber

It has flaws, but generally is a highly enjoyable science fiction mess-with-your-head type film. A bit like Moon. In fact there is a big similarity with that film in that the principal interaction is between an AI and a man. In this case the man is a prisoner.

I will not spoil it for anyone, but I quite enjoyed this low budget flick.

And now I'm a couple of episodes into Amazon's Good Omens, which is I have decided I like. Immensely!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Nick

Quote from: captainkurtz on July 12, 2019, 16:29:21 pmstruggling through season 3 of Stranger Things.  Can't seem to get more than 15 mins in before falling asleep.  Can't really remember seasons 1 and 2 much either, which doesn't help.
Very much enjoyed season 3 of stranger things, thought it was a great romp and the acting from the kids was excellent. Much better than season 2.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony