Author Topic: What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17  (Read 52669 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Re: What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17
« Reply #1635 on: August 27, 2018, 23:08:30 PM »
Black Panther

Good.

Great use of 3D as well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 23:24:18 PM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #1636 on: August 28, 2018, 08:09:48 AM »
Bodyguard
Watched the fiorst two episodes of the new BBC thingy last night. Really rather good, (for the most part). Some genuine tension built up.
As they used to say on "Points of View;" Well done, BBC
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #1637 on: September 09, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
The Greatest Showman

Critics were generally a bit snooty about this but it’s been a huge commercial success and has struck a chord with audiences.

Well, the critics were wrong and seem to have spectacularly missed the point of this film.

I’m no great fan of the musical genre in particular but this is about as entertaining a film as it gets; I’ve plenty of time for Hugh Jackman, he’s clearly loving the role of P T Barnum in this and it’s infectious.  Add in a superb supporting cast (Zac Efron is frankly a revelation), dazzling, innovative set-pieces and fantastically stirring original songs overflowing with solid gold hooks (unfortunately This Is Me has been hijacked by The X Factor types and will hence be difficult to avoid) and the result is one of the most rousing, plain joyful films I’ve seen in ages.

Wonderful. :)
HYFTOUR30

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #1638 on: September 10, 2018, 15:43:15 PM »
The Greatest Showman

Critics were generally a bit snooty about this but it’s been a huge commercial success and has struck a chord with audiences.

Well, the critics were wrong and seem to have spectacularly missed the point of this film.

I’m no great fan of the musical genre in particular but this is about as entertaining a film as it gets; I’ve plenty of time for Hugh Jackman, he’s clearly loving the role of P T Barnum in this and it’s infectious.  Add in a superb supporting cast (Zac Efron is frankly a revelation), dazzling, innovative set-pieces and fantastically stirring original songs overflowing with solid gold hooks (unfortunately This Is Me has been hijacked by The X Factor types and will hence be difficult to avoid) and the result is one of the most rousing, plain joyful films I’ve seen in ages.

Wonderful. :)

I don't know if I would go that far - but I enjoyed it a lot when I saw it a local 'flicks in the sticks' showing about 2 months ago and is a film I could happily watch again. I learned a bit about Mr. Barnum along the way, and as you say Matt, Zac does put in a great turn. I only know him from Bad Neighbours, so this was quite different!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1639 on: September 17, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »
Bodyguard
Watched the fiorst two episodes of the new BBC thingy last night. Really rather good, (for the most part). Some genuine tension built up.
As they used to say on "Points of View;" Well done, BBC
Still good, although has dropped off after episodes 1&2.....best thing on the BBC for a good while

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1640 on: September 17, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »
No Offence
C4 police drama created by Paul Abbott.
S3 has just started and its already shaping up better than S2.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #1641 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
The Shape Of Water

Won four Oscars, for Best Film,  Director, Original Score and Production Design - however, it deserved only the latter (the production design is indeed incredible) but absolutely nowhere near merited any of the others.

This won for Picture and Director simply because the nu-regressive, virtue-signalling left has infiltrated Hollywood and, because they all got caught being sexist, racist and misogynistic, are now wagging the finger at everyone else telling them not to be prejudiced bigots.

A film dealing with identity politics, especially in these times, is to be welcomed, but this is so partisan, heavy-handed, desperately politically-correct and so lacking in nuance it fails terribly on virtually every level.  Anti-racists, anti-misogynists, anti-homophobes etc will be patronised by this, whereas the bigoted will not be persuaded for very much the same reason.

I recommend not reading the fawning reviews, but this one from the Chicago Reader, which is bang on the money - as are many of the comments below.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:38:26 AM by Matt2112 »
HYFTOUR30

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1642 on: September 20, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
Succession - Slow start, but built nicely. Worth keeping up with. Looking forward to S2

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1643 on: September 22, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »
Press - enjoying for the most part. Ben Chaplin is very good.Strangers - Shit. Avoid, despite the good cast

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1644 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »
Still good, although has dropped off after episodes 1&2.....best thing on the BBC for a good while
Watched the final episode "live" last night.
A bit of a letdown tbh.... :-\

Straight Shooter

• TNMS Member
  • Alive at both ends but a little dead in the middle
« Reply #1645 on: September 30, 2018, 01:04:20 AM »
From the iPlayer, Friday's BBC Music Day episode of Bargain Hunt - Happy Mondays v. Pulp.

There's a little piece on Rockfield featured on it...
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #1646 on: October 02, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Just started on The Bodyguard - watched episodes 1 & 2
Before that we watched the Jack Ryan series 1 on Amazon Prime - generally very good although ending seemed less dramatic than I was expecting.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #1647 on: October 07, 2018, 15:22:55 PM »
Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Great opening sequence and generally watchable Friday night hokum, but it’s a bit of a flabby mess overall.

A certain very famous singer has a minor part, which some will find a bizarre casting clunker and others hilariously inspired.
HYFTOUR30

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #1648 on: October 07, 2018, 21:43:49 PM »
The Art of drumming on sky. Peart came in at no.11, good series especially showing the variety of drumming styles.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #1649 on: October 07, 2018, 21:45:43 PM »
The Art of drumming on sky. Peart came in at no.11, good series especially showing the variety of drumming styles.
Very Spinal Tap  :D
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown