What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc #17

Started by Dixkot, September 30, 2013, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Fighter Pilot - The real Top Gun. New ITV series following trainee fast jet pilots. Set partly at RAF Valley with a group making the transition to fast jets (Hawks) and partly in the US with experienced pilots learning to fly the new F-35 Lightning.
Good stuff

Bez

Quote from: döm on August 21, 2019, 13:11:21 pmI caught the BBC documentary "The Killing of Mountbatten"  the other night.

It was excellent - all the contributors were so candid about their motives, feelings and reactions - well worth a watch
Caught up with that over lunch today (one of the many benefits of working largely from home....)

Well put together and non-judgemental
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

captainkurtz

Magnolia

Hadn't seen this in years.  For me, one of the most outstanding films ever, amazing performances throughout, particularly from, surprisingly, Tom Cruise...
Anger is a gift.

Matt2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on August 22, 2019, 11:07:49 amMagnolia

Hadn't seen this in years.  For me, one of the most outstanding films ever, amazing performances throughout, particularly from, surprisingly, Tom Cruise...
I remember being underwhelmed by it at the time, but yes, Cruise is the best thing in it.  I probably need to re-appraise this, it really has been ages.
The keys to happiness

Bez

BBC documentary about Mad Cow disease....

A chilling final 10 mins when they were explaining that human genetics may mean that the incubation period for those infected may be up to 50 years....still no test for carriers and still no cure :-X
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

August 30, 2019, 23:10:51 pm #1820 Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 23:12:29 pm by DavidL
The Fort. Documentary following Fort William FC last season. Dubbed 'the worst team in Britain' they languish at the bottom of the Highland League and regularly suffer double-figure tonkings. However, their hopeless efforts have gained them fans worldwide.
Reminded me of my time playing in our local league for an equally hapless side.

Matt2112

September 03, 2019, 00:54:27 am #1821 Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:56:46 am by Matt2112
First Reformed

Ethan Hawke is good as a priest going through a slow-motion meltdown in a film written and directed by Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull).

Brooding, meaningful and atmospheric but maybe not quite as impactful as I expected.
The keys to happiness

Ali

Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

Matt2112

September 12, 2019, 14:01:15 pm #1823 Last Edit: Yesterday at 15:44:20 by Matt2112
Call Me By Your Name

First thing folks - avoid this.

An "arty" film that is a darling of high-brow critics who like to think they've found profundity where there is actually none.

This rite-of-passage tale is long, very slow, hugely underwhelming and a classic case the Emperor's New Clothes.  There are films where things unsaid or unstated can be deeply effective and affective, where long, brooding silences and absences of obvious motivations and can be felt in your bones. 

This film tries exactly that; however, it's drowned in its own portentousness and the result is only bathos.
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

The Dirt  - no need for reviews - I think most people here know its subject matter - some very dodgy "English accents" though.....