Barcelona

Started by Neph, July 12, 2013, 08:40:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: pdw1 on January 03, 2014, 16:57:49 pm
Most of em dont speak spanish as a first language.
You need to know the difference between your Castile and your Catalan.
They plan to have a vote about it soon ;)

I think the overwhelming majority understand and speak Spanish perfectly well.  Sometimes they prefer not to though.  It always goes down well to say Bon Dia rather than Buenos Dias
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Chris Quartly

I've booked myself in for three nights (9th - 12th of Feb), staying at a place 5 minutes walk from La Sagrada Familia. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d585139-Reviews-Hotel_Granados_83-Barcelona_Catalonia.html
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Bez

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 03:32:00 am
I've booked myself in for three nights (9th - 12th of Feb), staying at a place 5 minutes walk from La Sagrada Familia. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d585139-Reviews-Hotel_Granados_83-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Cool, you can jump on the "hop on hop off" buses at SF and then change at Pedrara or the Cathedral for stuff in the West of the city if you go with the company that runs two different routes (Barcelona City Tours). Don't go all the way down to the "Place De Catalunya" to change....it gets mobbed as that's the start point for all of the different company bus tours  ;)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Andrew_Haldane

döm

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 03:32:00 am

Hopefully Barcelona or even Espagnol will have a home game while you are there.

Chris Quartly

January 08, 2014, 15:40:07 pm #20 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 15:48:35 pm by Chris Quartly
I'll just miss a Barca game unfortunately, I did look. Didn't think about Espanyol, they're at home to Grenada on the day I arrive, not the most glamorous game in the world but tempting :)

Edit - although tickets look like they're around 100 euros, eek. Will think about it.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Chris Quartly

Quote from: Bez on January 08, 2014, 10:12:59 am
Cool, you can jump on the "hop on hop off" buses at SF and then change at Pedrara or the Cathedral for stuff in the West of the city if you go with the company that runs two different routes (Barcelona City Tours). Don't go all the way down to the "Place De Catalunya" to change....it gets mobbed as that's the start point for all of the different company bus tours  ;)

Just double-checked and the hotel is pretty much next door to Pedrara, so that sounds like a winner :)

döm

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 15:40:07 pm
I'll just miss a Barca game unfortunately, I did look. Didn't think about Espanyol, they're at home to Grenada on the day I arrive, not the most glamorous game in the world but tempting :)

Edit - although tickets look like they're around 100 euros, eek. Will think about it.

Seriously?  Used to be a relatively cheap pastime when I lived out there.

Bez

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 15:40:58 pm
Just double-checked and the hotel is pretty much next door to Pedrara, so that sounds like a winner :)

SF is more than a 5 minute walk then.... ;)

Bez

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 15:40:58 pm

Pedrara well worth paying to go inside as well....the roof is fantastic

Also worth a visit : Parc Guell, SF, the Pcasso museum (a little hidden away, bit worth finding) the Miro museum and the fountains at night. We missed out on the cable car (Mrs B not good with heights), but it looked great

Chris Quartly

Ha, you're right, 5-minutes by car! 25 minute walk, which is fine :) thanks for the suggestions!

Bez

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 08, 2014, 20:18:38 pm
Ha, you're right, 5-minutes by car! 25 minute walk, which is fine :) thanks for the suggestions!

Taxis were pretty reasonable when we were there....we didn't use the underground, but its supposedly pretty good as well

döm

January 09, 2014, 09:48:30 am #27 Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:51:11 am by döm
Quote from: Bez on January 09, 2014, 00:22:31 am
Taxis were pretty reasonable when we were there....we didn't use the underground, but its supposedly pretty good as well

Excellent, as are the buses - all air conditioned too which is a godsend in the Summer.

Not much of a concern in February though   ;D

Red Star

*Bump*

Taking the family to Barca for Easter 14-20 the April. The main reason for going is for my youngest son (who is 8 in June) to see Barca play Real Sociedad at the Nou Camp on Easter Sunday - He has rebelled against following me in supporting Chelsea and for some reason didn't get too excited with my other suggestion of following Cheltenham Town ::)

We have a 2 bed apartment in the Gracia area and was just wondering if anyone has any must do/visit suggestions? We have plenty of time in Barca due to the flights being so much cheaper on the days selected so it made sense to spend the money on a few more nights accommodation. Cheers.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Bez

Stadium tour would be a "must" I assume !

Previous recommendations stand, although with the kids in tow I'd maybe avoid the museums...

Aquarium, zoo and don't forget the beaches

The cable car from the port up to the mountain may appeal ;)

This was a useful website for pre-planning

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/