• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
May 27, 2019, 00:14:50 am

Barcelona

Started by Neph, July 12, 2013, 08:40:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

Going on Tuesday for a couple of days with the family. Any tips for things to see and do?
#herewego10inarow

döm

Quote from: Neph on July 12, 2013, 08:40:12 am
Going on Tuesday for a couple of days with the family. Any tips for things to see and do?

All the Gaudi stuff is a must - Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell etc - a trip up to Tibidado to get great views of the City.  The Nou Camp is well worth a trip to as well if you haven't been.  It's actually over 20 years since I lived there so there maybe some out there with fresher memories than mine
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Fishy

do the bus tour thing.. you can hop on hop off at various places and then just catch the next one that comes along.. and Camp Nou of the stops which is just waiting to take all your money.. just even visting the shop is an experiience

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-bus-tour.html

Watch out tho if you're on Las Ramblas.. lots of pickpockets about the place
From the Land of Honest Men.

Bez

We were there last year....fantastic city

The bus tours are great for getting around and taking in the sites. We bought a 2 day ticket and followed both routes hopping on / off. There's at least 3 different companies, so check the routes that are best for you.
If you're going to the Sagrada Familia get there an hour before opening time. We took a taxi straight on a separate day there having got off the bus and it was mobbed. We then got a bus down to the beach for the afternoon.
Read the warnings about The "Ramblas" We didn't have any problems or see anything, but plenty of people do...

We used the buses & taxis to get around when not walking. The metro system is supposedly very good.

This website is very helpful :

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Neph

Thanks for the info. Me and my son have already booked for a look round the Nou Camp and the wife and daughter have booked a slot at Sagrada Familia. It's nice to know that the hop on hop off bus stops st most of these places. I have heard warnings about Las Ramblas so I'll be extra vigilant.
#herewego10inarow

Blastzone

I read somewhere recently that 50% of Europe's pickpocketing is done in Barcelona.
One of our friends got his wallet stolen whilst he was talking to us...they are very slick.

The city is wonderful however, and  as well as the other attaractions already mentioned , we enjoyed a trip up Mont Juic , where the olympic stadium sits , and had some brilliant views over the city.
Def need a bus or taxi trip up to it though
Mon the Jambos

zoony

Had a great day there on my one and only trip abroad back in '87. Did the Nou camp tour, and went to the zoo. Didn't see them, but the dancing fountains are supposed to be nice as well.

Neph

By Christ it´s hot here. 8)
#herewego10inarow

Neph

Another great city. Fantastic atmosphere and lovely people. I'll certainly be back. Las Ramblas was very well policed so now the only thieves are the overpriced bars.
#herewego10inarow

Chris Quartly

I was thinking of going somewhere in early Feb (I'll be in the UK for a couple of weeks so a few days away for an actual holiday seems like a good idea).

I'll be on my own and my Spanish is non-existent, and it'll be February, but I'm assuming Barcelona is probably still my best option?
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:

Q's Comps

Some Other Suckers Parade

Bez

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 03, 2014, 02:07:20 am
I was thinking of going somewhere in early Feb (I'll be in the UK for a couple of weeks so a few days away for an actual holiday seems like a good idea).

I'll be on my own and my Spanish is non-existent, and it'll be February, but I'm assuming Barcelona is probably still my best option?

Not a bad shout Q....loads to see for a solo tourist. No need for Spanish.
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

NeilP

the footie and availability of tix is a bonus there too

captainkurtz

Quote from: Bez on January 03, 2014, 11:20:23 am
No need for Spanish.

Just speak in a Spanish accent.  Usually helps.  :)
Anger is a gift.

JonL

Quote from: captainkurtz on January 03, 2014, 13:31:03 pm
Just speak in a Spanish accent.  Usually helps.  :)

"Normal" Spanish can still make you look silly of they decide to be colloquial.
Bloody marvellous city though.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

pdw1

Quote from: JonL on January 03, 2014, 14:50:36 pm
"Normal" Spanish can still make you look silly of they decide to be colloquial.
Bloody marvellous city though.

Most of em dont speak spanish as a first language.
You need to know the difference between your Castile and your Catalan.
They plan to have a vote about it soon ;)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown