UK Tour Review Thread - Setlist Spoilers in Here Please

Started by Bez, May 23, 2013, 09:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Having decided that my UK tour aspirations had already been fulfilled by Manchester and sold my Sheffield ticket on Friday, I changed my mind on Sunday when another ticket came up, so I effectively catapulted myself six rows further forward into the fourth row and a little more toward the centre for this show; pretty much right in front of the bass playing half of the rhythm section.

Lucky, really. Would have preferred the other side of the stage, but you can't have everything.

It was indeed, questions about the overall setlist aside, a stonking gig. Particular happy to have had both the setlist variations, and preferred the selection of material from last night - brilliant to have Manhattan Project and The Body Electric especially.  I thought TSOR was particularly blistering.

I actually wonder if Geddy should bother singing 2112, given the vocal detour he has to take these days. Perhaps they should knock up an instrumental medley of old tunes, like the R30 overture.

I still think they overdo the new album tunes a bit. I enjoy all of them apart from Headlong Flight but four or five would be enough.

Nice to run into an assortment of the usual suspects - great to see you all although I missed quite a few. See some of you at a Bravs gig before too long.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

zoony

Some great reviews and comments folks, keep them coming  :).

Bez

Quote from: JonL on May 29, 2013, 02:36:49 am
I think I was surrounded by TNMSers, but didn't want to ask in case they weren't and thought I was a mentalist.

You really should have asked them Jon....98% of TNMSers I've met are sound people....if they weren't TNMSers and they thought you were indeed a "mentalist" it would only have been for a few hours and you would never have seen them again...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nïckslïkk2112

Can't really add anything to what others have said. I enjoyed Brum, but Sheffield was in a different league, just shows how a great performance can enhance even the most mediocre of material. It was almost worth the money. I thought Ged was in as good voice as he could be at this stage in his career.
Should that be the last time I see Rush over here I won't have any regrets.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Matt2112

May 29, 2013, 12:42:42 pm #169 Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:47:42 pm by Matt2112
The Wreckers has been a bit of a revelation overall for me live.  But, got to say, The Anarchist and Carnies were stupendously good at Sheffield last night.  A real high point of the mere three shows I attended.

I thought they hit the ground running and the performance on a technical level was pretty much as good as it gets.  Surprisingly, I thought The Body Electric and Territories weren't quite on the (big) money, but such was the standard of the rest of the show this was entirely forgivable.

The only noticeable duffers I remember were very rare, minor, piffling and fleeting: Big Al momentarily forgetting to switch from his piezo for the chorus of The Garden, Geddy mis-keying the first note of the Tom Sawyer synth break, Al botching a bar or so of YYZ only because he was pissing about on and around the string ensemble's platform...it only proves that they're fallible. :)

Of course, the whole experience was enriched as ever by bumping into a few of the usual suspects.  Even the Doyen of Derbyshire and that offensive t-shirt.  :P

Just want to especially thank Hass for the excellent ticket, which was close enough to see the beads of sweat but far back enough to enjoy the whole spectacle.

Plus I had a straight-on, unobstructed view of the very lovely flame-haired cellist.  ;)
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 29, 2013, 12:28:19 pm
Can't really add anything to what others have said. I enjoyed Brum, but Sheffield was in a different league, just shows how a great performance can enhance even the most mediocre of material. It was almost worth the money. I thought Ged was in as good voice as he could be at this stage in his career.
Should that be the last time I see Rush over here I won't have any regrets.

I think the mods ought to frame this post and keep it for posterity - SIMMERS IN POSITIVE RUSH OUTBURST!!!  :P ;)

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: zoony on May 29, 2013, 12:43:36 pm
I think the mods ought to frame this post and keep it for posterity - SIMMERS IN POSITIVE RUSH OUTBURST!!!  :P ;)

I will always give credit, where credit is due. I can only say it as I see it.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

zoony

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 29, 2013, 12:58:28 pm
I will always give credit, where credit is due. I can only say it as I see it.

Fair play Simmers. Oh, me and Ian loved your jacket at Birmingham mate  :).

Slim

As I walked down the steps to the car park, I heard someone say..

"no Earthshine".

What?

Ben

Quote from: Summerland on May 29, 2013, 01:25:27 am
sorry to miss you Ben. I bloody loved it.....blimey, there's a turn up for the books

Saw you in the distance chatting to Rich and ran into a positively ebulliant Simmsy exiting the gents and following Slim in a hurry soon afterwards. We'll catch up at the Bravs no doubt. Good to see that Rush have decided to avoid the tunes the Bravs perform so well...thats respect for you :)
'some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies'

Thailand Express

Quote from: Slim on May 29, 2013, 14:23:48 pm
As I walked down the steps to the car park, I heard someone say..

"no Earthshine".

What?

They shouldn't worry, if the trend continues the next tour setlist will be made up from Counterparts, Test for Echo and Vapour Trails songs....

Zed

I agree with slim, there's too much of the new stuff. Thoought geddys Mic was off for the beginning of body electric.
Great show. Thought red sector was the highlight.
Managed to worm myself from tier 2 to row 9 at the front after the interval.
Nice to see tnmsers
Roll on Netherlands..

Experience to extremes

Slim

Quote from: Thailand Express on May 29, 2013, 14:59:23 pm
They shouldn't worry, if the trend continues the next tour setlist will be made up from Counterparts, Test for Echo and Vapour Trails songs....

:D

I did have that thought ..

Stephen

Very enjoyable gig at Sheffield, hadn't thought of going 'til last week, which added to the enjoyment.  Good to meet a few TNMSers and put names to faces - particularly DigitalMatt - a real gent.  Enjoyed the sets, though pity to miss Middletown Dreams again.

By the way, if you're reading this and you're the bloke who gave a very loud, long and pi**ed rendition of Red Barchetta outside the 'Noose and Gibbet', don't give up the day job.

Two Rush gigs sandwiching 'Fish'at Milton Keynes - a memorable Bank Holiday long week-end.

Stephen

Neilyyz

Agree with all the positive comments on here twas a cracking show last night. Last time I was in Sheffield on the TM Tour I had my photo taken with Howard so I took him the photo last night and signed it for him. He saw the funny side and placed it on his lighting desk.

The night was made extra special for me as I was walking out. My seat was 2nd row Geddy's side and I noticed a plectrum shaped object on the ground, between the 2nd and 3rd rows of the centre section. Picked it up and lo and behold that is exactly what it was, a genuine Alex Lifeson Clockwork Angels plec touched by greatness now back in Northumberland about to be framed. I can remember him throwing it into the crowd about where I found it but it must have got lost in the grabbing hands, it is black after all.