UK Tour Review Thread - Setlist Spoilers in Here Please

Started by Bez, May 23, 2013, 08:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Quote from: TerrBerr on May 23, 2013, 15:25:41 pm
Manchester has to have the surliest concert goers in the nation. We were standing and got abuse from a couple twats behind us. One guy was actually getting abusive with it and there was also a belligerent woman who kept trying to have a go. Even after we sat down I could still hear him making hateful comments. I lost my rag and turned to him and told him enough already, we sat down after three songs so shut the feck up! Annoyed that I let him get to me like this. He actually threatened to kick ron's head in after the show.

Never had an experience like it at a show and it actually took a bit of the shine off. I heard of others who were getting grief from "fans" who objected to standees.

That is such a shame. Will we see you in London tomorrow?
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

BaldiePete

Quote from: Paris_Phil on May 23, 2013, 15:50:33 pm
What o'clock was it all over?
(am trying to plan whether I can make it onto a last train post-Glasgow)
Thanks

They came on at about 7-45 and were finished at about 10-45. There's a film clip at the end which is not worth seeing. As soon as Grand Finale finishes start legging it and you'll get out before the masses.

Captain Ron

May 23, 2013, 16:31:28 pm #32 Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 16:33:17 pm by Captain Ron
Quote from: pdw1 on May 23, 2013, 15:55:27 pm
That is such a shame. Will we see you in London tomorrow?

Yes of course. We'll be at the pre-gig meet and we're stopping for saturdays's muse gig at emirates. Then Sunday for NEC and a much-needed rest on Monday before Sheffield. Then driving to Glasgow for the last UK show.

I sincerely hope this unpleasant incident was a one-off. I normally avoid confrontation so I really surprised myself last night. I really tore into that bonehead.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

pdw1

Well i hope we can have a drink together tomorrow even if I am sitting down :)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Captain Ron

Arse, that was me, terry, replying. Ron must have logged in on my phone.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

Night Flyer

Manchester has to have the surliest concert goers in the nation. We were standing and got abuse from a couple twats behind us. One guy was actually getting abusive with it and there was also a belligerent woman who kept trying to have a go. Even after we sat down I could still hear him making hateful comments. I lost my rag and turned to him and told him enough already, we sat down after three songs so shut the feck up! Annoyed that I let him get to me like this. He actually threatened to kick ron's head in after the show.

Never had an experience like it at a show and it actually took a bit of the shine off. I heard of others who were getting grief from "fans" who objected to standees.

Really sorry to read this. I may have been naive in thinking us fans would understand at shows that we're in this together. I have asked permission from others in the past if they wouldn't mind me standing only to find them smile and say we were hoping to as well. I'd like to think this is an exception. As for the sound. I wasn't there last night as i'm doing Birmingham, Glasgow and Amsterdam but i do remember dreadful sound from the 2007 gig at the MEN for the first half. Between the wheels was especially dreadful at the close of the first set. When chatting about this on the return flight to Ireland with some fellow fans they didn't understand what i was getting at. It really seems to be a random thing regarding position and tweaking of the sound will happen as the show rolls on. On the same tour too the Hartwall in Helsinki was dreadful for the first set but once again adaptions were made.
Forgive your enemies..... It will really annoy them.

jules

Quote from: Red Star on May 23, 2013, 15:17:33 pm
Ok, so they played to their usual excellent standard but the gig was bizarre from my point of view in that it was the first Rush show that I had watched from the 'morgue' that was Block 102.

Me too  - Not to start the 'to stand or not to stand' debate again, but you're right. Personally I loved the whole set list (another debate!!) but would have been much more demonstrative if the miserable peeps behind us weren't so verbally aggressive :'( .  Had an amazing night but was just a little bit envious of those on the floor having an obviously bouncing time!!

Floor for me in Manchester next time (please let there be a next time)  ;)

MickW

A couple of people in the row in front of us stood up so me & my lad did the same only to get tapped on the shoulder by the tosser behind me asking me to sit down!

I have to admit the crowd were a bunch of miserable feckers whose complete lack of enthusiasm must've caught the attention of the band as I'm sure they were thinking "are we doing something wrong tonight..?". Seriously my lad summed it up today he said there was "more life in a funeral party" than the crowd last night.

Other than that minor annoyance (and not having a HD camera with me given the lax security!) it was a pretty good show. I've become something of a lapsed Rush fan in recent years but last night restored my faith in the fact that they still put on a great live show. My only regret is that this was the only show I could afford to go to  :'(

Anyway credits to my lad for at least capturing something of the evening.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5nYGVwSJz6tSXAhjVq1yui2IflQRr8DS
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave...

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: ghostwheel on May 23, 2013, 15:22:32 pm
Add to that the fact that the P/G, PoW and Presto tours never made it to the UK and I would say we were due a retrospective.

About time we had a Rush, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel and 2112 retrospective then.
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 23, 2013, 21:03:11 pm
About time we had a Rush, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel and 2112 retrospective then.

ATWAS40. 8)
The keys to happiness

mikeyboy

great show. really enjoyed hearing a lot of songs i've not seen them do live before. i actually thought the CA stuff came across brilliantly. glad they played so much of the new album, shows they really believe in it. Carnies and headlong flight were real stand outs.

one thing to note nowhere near as many people at last nights show than their last 2 times at the MEN. nearly all the top tier was blocked off apart from a few rows in first 2 blocks each side. prices hiked up too much this time around maybe the reason?

karl

I was in Block 115 and had a great view. I thought the sound was ok but then these old ears probably couldn't tell the difference.
I am also of the belief that the 80s era is underrated so I enjoyed the set list.
People behind me were getting pissed off with people standing up and i was asked to sit down.
I only stood because the people in front of me were standing and I would have happily stood for the whole gig.
I think in these big arena gigs they should print a disclaimer on the ticket saying that people can or can't stand.
Some people buy tickets at the side because they can't stand for the whole gig.

Vapor Trailer

He actually threatened to kick ron's head in after the show.

Welcome to Manchester  :(

Good job i wasnt in your section otherwise blood might have spilled... :D

Did they mind awfully if you clapped at the end of each song? Idiots. Dont they understand Geddy blesses Ron's heart for being intense? Hope your other concerts allow more rocking out.
I wish I could live it all again.

Thailand Express

Quote from: mikeyboy on May 23, 2013, 21:13:40 pm
one thing to note nowhere near as many people at last nights show than their last 2 times at the MEN. nearly all the top tier was blocked off apart from a few rows in first 2 blocks each side. prices hiked up too much this time around maybe the reason?

Were the prices hiked that much? (VIP nonsense apart).
Maybe it's overfamiliarity? As much as it pleases us hardcore to see them, there's not many other acts who I would go to see in arenas 4 times in 8 and a bit years...

ghostwheel

Quote from: Nick Sims on May 23, 2013, 21:03:11 pm

Nah: as I've said elsewhere, Rush and Caress of Steel are bobbins.  How about a Fly by Night, 2112, AfTK and Hemispheres retrospective?  Though I think one of the problems is that Hemispheres was too high for Geddy in 1978, so his chances of singing it now are close to zero...