UK Tour Review Thread - Setlist Spoilers in Here Please

Started by Bez, May 23, 2013, 09:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nulli Secundus

Went to Manchester and was in the 3rd Row and loved it.

Attended Sheffield with one of my 10 year old boys (his first ever Rush concert) We were up in Block 220 (Geddy's side overlooking the front of the stage) right at the very front.

Have to agree with many of the comments on here it was absolutely fantastic. Loved the Sheffield gig far more than Manchester. Manhattan Project was amazing and as someone has already said TSOR was fantastic.

The boy loved it too. He loves Clockwork Angels so for him the 2nd set was his highlight. He buzzed for two days before the concert whilst we were waiting for the doors to open I pointed out to him that he had put his 2112 t-shirt on back to front  :)  He has not stopped bouncing about and talking about the concert since.

It was also nice to get positive comments from older fans welcoming in younger fans. We bumped into an man and his wife in Sheffield town centre on the Wednesday and they commented on how good the gig had been and how it's nice to see younger people discovering Rush.

I have not read all the comments on here but I have to say there appeared to be a lot of empty seats at Sheffield. In our block, 220, there were only seven of us sat in the entire block that looked like it could hold around 60 - 80. Admittedly I know not all blocks were that extreme and I think many people would try for closer seats but it did seem a shame considering it may well have been the best one of the UK leg.
Advertising is the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket

Andy42g

Yeah- I had a fine evening at Sheffield . Great to meet Slim for the first time and have a good chat with the tory boy, and I shifted up from the (my excellent seat on the aisle Alex's side on the) floor for the second half to be with the most rocking section ie. the row which contained the Trons and the Analogues.
(Makes me think - for next time (if there is one) buy a cheap seat and wander round until you find a space somewhere really good.)
Enjoyed both sets very much but the new material was frankly fecking awesome and Headlong Flight was particularly fantastic. Strings section was a great addition and the lights, screens etc were phenomenal.
Would have liked to do more than one show but hey ho.
Nice to say hello to a few TNMS types, as ever.
Bring on Muse on Saturday.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Thailand Express

Sheez that was good. I laughed, I cried, I rocked...

Blastzone

Mon the Jambos

Thailand Express

May 31, 2013, 09:27:19 am #199 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:35:42 am by Thailand Express
A few random morning after thoughts:
Not as loud as in the past but a nice sound balance.
Despite its crap acoustics the SECC is actually a perfect size venue for them.
Would have been nice to hear Middletown but Limelight kept the momentum up brilliantly.
1st drum solo killed said momentum completely, never recovered til the break.
Why do they do the slow end to Analog Kid? It crashed an otherwise superb track.
Clockwork Angels, Anarchist, Carnies and Headlong Flight were the picks of the new stuff. The latter rocks like a bastard!
The crowd were very appreciative of the new material, the string ensemble went down very well.
What happened to the 8th string player though?
Didn't think the intro/outro films were that bad, nice burds in them anyway.
The Pass really got to me, was trying to sing along but only tears came out.
One more classic before the end might have been nice, but that's a minor complaint, a great gig.
Very stiff and sore today, I'm getting too old to rock n roll....

JonL

For me, I enjoyed Glasgow more than Sheffield. I can't put my finger on why, possibly because I was further back so I could take in the whole thing. Maybe it was because I noticed more subtleties in the sound. I don't know.
Anyhoo, 2 shows seen from 2 very different points of view.
2 excellent nights.
I'm also actually looking forward to a live release, rather than just knowing there will be one and buying it.
The Anarchist is my new CA track too.
The lenses inside of me that paint the world black. The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage.

pdw1

So in Glasgow you got Limelight instead of Middletown/Body Electric? Shame they didnt stick to their guns and carry on with the obscure 80s tracks.  I would have been disappointed to miss either/both for a track even I have heard many times live.

Glad you all enjoyed the gig. It has been a great UK tour.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

Quote from: pdw1 on May 31, 2013, 11:13:12 am
So in Glasgow you got Limelight instead of Middletown/Body Electric? Shame they didnt stick to their guns and carry on with the obscure 80s tracks.  I would have been disappointed to miss either/both for a track even I have heard many times live.

Yes that was my thought as well - The Body Electric was a real joy in Sheffield and it was good to see them do Middletown Dreams again at Manchester.

I've been fortunate with my Rush tours in recent years. Front row at Newcastle and two fourth row seats this time, with one of each setlist I wanted.

Reg

I think the setlist and alternates this time around is part of Alex's desire to get as much of their catalogue recorded visually as they can.

Does that mean that next time (assuming there is a next time), we can expect Open Secrets and Second Nature?  Or are we (shudder) more likely to get Carve Away The Stone, Virtuality and Dog Years.

I'm kinda hoping for Countdown and of course, anything I haven't seen live from HYF.  Lock and Key wouild be good.

Something For Nothing would be very welcome too.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

döm

Yes hearing Body Electric live was a real joy, but it would have been surpassed if they had played Middletown Dreams.  Limelight is overdone now for me at this stage and it would have been a bit of a let-down to hear that instead of either of the other 2.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: Reg on May 31, 2013, 13:07:59 pm
I think the setlist and alternates this time around is part of Alex's desire to get as much of their catalogue recorded visually as they can.

Does that mean that next time (assuming there is a next time), we can expect Open Secrets and Second Nature?  Or are we (shudder) more likely to get Carve Away The Stone, Virtuality and Dog Years.

I'm kinda hoping for Countdown and of course, anything I haven't seen live from HYF.  Lock and Key wouild be good.

Something For Nothing would be very welcome too.

I suppose the fact that they seem to be touring so much these days gives them the freedom to explore their back catalogue a little more.  If they manage to keep up this level of touring (every 2 years to Europe) I imagine this will continue.  If they don't make it over for another 5 years or so, I imagine the setlist will revert a little more to a show of "classics".
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

pdw1

To be honest as much as i love Middletown Dreams, Body electric was a real highlight live.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Rrroooaaarrr

Reg