UK Tour Review Thread - Setlist Spoilers in Here Please

Started by Bez, May 23, 2013, 08:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Analog RH

May 23, 2013, 13:45:50 pm #15 Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 13:47:55 pm by Analog Rockin' Hard
An exceptional show.

Crowd was indeed quiet, but as others have said the setlist was very much for the hardcore fans and not for those who were there because they once bought Moving Pictures.

I was in Block 102 and rocked through the gig in my usual standing up, air guitaring / drumming / bassing, sweating all over everyone fashion. Captain Ron and TerrBerr stood behind us and incurred the wrath of an irate, boneheaded Liverpudlian. As it looked like it might kick off an one point (I am ashamed to say I could feel the red mist descending as the Bonehead told Tron to "stop whining" and that he would do physical harm if they stood up in the second set) I went and spoke to security who confirmed that (a) we were allowed to stand and (b ) that the Bonehead would be ejected if he carried on. Bonehead saw this.

Sound was great where I was. Noticed a couple of feck ups but they didn't in any way spoil the experience.

Very much enjoyed watching the Barchettas doing their thing on the front row (centre).

Ace meet up in the Moon Under The Water, even though the bar management were Hitler-esque in their attitude to Hard Jr and Mini-Barchetta. I don't understand why I am not allowed to buy a coke for a child in a pub if he isn't eating. Great catching up with folks I only ever see on tour.

Roll on Sunday.  8)

captainkurtz

Quote from: Analog Rockin' Hard on May 23, 2013, 13:45:50 pm

Very much enjoyed watching the Barchettas doing their thing on the front row (centre).

Very cool little boy.  :)
Anger is a gift.

reedlover

Quote from: BaldiePete on May 23, 2013, 10:55:10 am
The first set was not really to my taste by that didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely. However, if you're going to play some 80's deep cuts, couldn't you PLEASE have made Kid Gloves one of them? The second set was immense, the CA stuff works superbly live.

I was surprised to see so many sitting at the sides but perhaps that was a result of the less than populist setlist. There was a guy a couple of rows behind me literally pleading for Limelight and Tom Sawyer about five songs into the 2nd set.

We were told to sit down in the block I was on.

Matt2112

May 23, 2013, 13:58:40 pm #18 Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 14:00:13 pm by Matt2112
Broadly in agreement with the above.  :)

Obviously I was in heaven during the first set's Aladdin's Cave of eighties treasures.  The Pass was exquisite and featured Al's best-executed solo of the evening - pure perfection.  However, to my surprise I enjoyed the CA songs even more.  The Wreckers, for me, was soaringly brilliant in particular and somehow had an extra dimension to it.  The slightly duffed intro to which Dave (Lyth) refers I believe was in Wish Them Well, and I thought this was the only song of the night that threatened a touch of sloppiness, but to be fair it got more solid as it progressed. 

The sound from my spot in 102 was crystal clear throughout - probably the best I've heard at Manc Arena.

Lots of smiles onstage which is always a good sign with Al wasting no goofing opportunities, for instance playing a couple of bars of Headlong Flight with a dropped drumstick before despatching it to a lucky recipient in the front row.

A really cracking start to the UK leg and very much looking forward to London tomorrow now.  8)
The keys to happiness

Thailand Express

Quote from: BaldiePete on May 23, 2013, 10:55:10 am
I was surprised to see so many sitting at the sides but perhaps that was a result of the less than populist setlist. There was a guy a couple of rows behind me literally pleading for Limelight and Tom Sawyer about five songs into the 2nd set.

It's a bold setlist, particularly for the UK where more fans seem to prefer the 70s stuff than they do in North America...

Matt2112

Quote from: Thailand Express on May 23, 2013, 13:59:04 pm
It's a bold setlist, particularly for the UK where more fans seem to prefer the 70s stuff than they do in North America...

Sod 'em.  ;D  :D
The keys to happiness

reedlover

I thought that Clockwork Angels was remarkably well-executed especially considering its relative complexity. I was relieved to be able to hear the string section even though I felt slightly uncomfortable with them being there.
I could have done without the first set hit parade of Power Windoze but all in all it was a good gig.
Not sure I am willing pay £60 to £80 for any gig, never mind Rush (full Genesis reunion aside) in the future especially after the problems my mate Andy had getting us decent tickets despite applying dead on 9 O'clock on the day of the presale. I could have got tickets far better for the same price if I had waited until last Monday!
Whinge moan.

£20 odd to see Steven Wilson was a far better deal and a far better gig.

Neilyyz

Just got back to Newcastle on the train from last nights gig. Was in Block 115 the end seat on row G closest to the stage.  I have to say I was not impressed with the sound last night. I agree that the sound was much better on the 2nd half and the new stuff sounded great live. Thought the string section were brilliant actually and certainly came across well sound wise. Alex's solo spot sounded terrible from where I was as did Pratts 2nd solo.

I agree the crowd appeared very subdued last night. I did notice Hards from my position although I have never met him I could spot him easily enough as like he said he was up and at it. I stood up for the whole show as did the big fella next to me and we both enjoyed a lot of air drummin/fist pumping/air guitaring. Mrs YYZ was her usual quiet self but enjoyed watching me enjoying myself she said.

I have floor tickets for the next 3 shows all within 4 rows of the front so hoping for a lot better sound.

Roll on London, Sheff, Glasgow, Berlin.

NeilP

Great evening, very good sound from 102 J where I was.
Mostly seated though there were many loud individuals threatening violence to some if we stood up, perhaps Security should have been consulted?

Anyway, I stood for much of the second set without incident

enjoyed the set list, similar to Toronto gig 2 last Oct though I like CA so very pleasurable with the string ensemble accompaniment

Red Star

Ok, so they played to their usual excellent standard but the gig was bizarre from my point of view in that it was the first Rush show that I had watched from the 'morgue' that was Block 102. Honestly, there was more atmosphere in outer space :(

Setlist was ok but I thought the inferior Clockwork Angels stuff should have been played in the first half - turning the gig on it's head would have worked better for me as the first half set list was awesome. The sound was just acceptable to me but that might just be my ears. We had a good view from where we were sat which was exactly in line with the front row on Alex's side.

6/10.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

ghostwheel

Quote from: captainkurtz on May 23, 2013, 08:46:41 am
No first night gremlins last night - a superb show in front of a strangely subdued audience.

Love the setlist, but its not for the casual fan.

New stuff is stonking live.

Geddy's vocals were very strong all night, I thought.

Sound was slightly boomy in the first half (slightly) but was near perfect in the second half.

Great show, caught another T-shirt (and I noticed alex's plec bounced of a completely unaware Mick Parry - Baldie Pete was the lucky recipient)

Great show - very much looking forward to London.

Hard to disagree with much of that.  I was five rows back from the front in front of Geddy.  I think we got to ten past ten before anything pre-Signals came up.  All power to them I say: I still think the Signals to Presto era is massively underrated, and last night bore that out.  Add to that the fact that the P/G, PoW and Presto tours never made it to the UK and I would say we were due a retrospective.  Worth also noting that R30 and Time Machine have given us a very comprehensive run through of a great deal of the earlier stuff.  I for one do not need to hear Closer to the Heart, Limelight et al over again just for the sake of it.  Whereas I have been saying for years that tracks like Middletown Dreams and Grand Designs deserved an airing.  Analog Kid was epic.

Sound was overall very good from where I sat: such a change from going to see Jack White last year at Ally Pally  - White noise more like, my ears were bleeding.

The new material was excellent, a highlight of the show.  Glad to see that my view of Wish Them Well as a stonking rocker was borne out in practice.  Roll on London tomorrow...

TerrBerr

Quote from: Thailand Express on May 23, 2013, 09:00:50 am
Surprised to read that the crowd was subdued, the couple of Manc gigs I've been to were bouncing...

Manchester has to have the surliest concert goers in the nation. We were standing and got abuse from a couple twats behind us. One guy was actually getting abusive with it and there was also a belligerent woman who kept trying to have a go. Even after we sat down I could still hear him making hateful comments. I lost my rag and turned to him and told him enough already, we sat down after three songs so shut the feck up! Annoyed that I let him get to me like this. He actually threatened to kick ron's head in after the show.

Never had an experience like it at a show and it actually took a bit of the shine off. I heard of others who were getting grief from "fans" who objected to standees.
To me you're a Captain, but to a Captain, you're no Captain!

Paris_Phil

What o'clock was it all over?
(am trying to plan whether I can make it onto a last train post-Glasgow)
Thanks

dannyc

Quote from: Paris_Phil on May 23, 2013, 15:50:33 pm
What o'clock was it all over?
(am trying to plan whether I can make it onto a last train post-Glasgow)
Thanks

Just before 11pm.. Only time I saw a clock was when I got in the car and it was 11 I think.