Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Nature abhors an empty spreadsheet, so with that in mind, I mounted the Tricross at 12:45, to get the 2021 campaign off the ground. I thought I'd do 30 miles or so. I quite like that my average ride distance is 43 miles over 2020, and I'd like to keep that going. But the weather wasn't great (cold and a bit windy) so 30 seemed a decent enough start.

I decided on a Twycrosser, with a slight extension to the west, to take in a bit of Warwickshire. One of my recurring yearly goals is to do all of the neighbouring counties. As it happens I take in Warwickshire dozens of times each year without particularly trying to, but I wanted to tick the box early.

The Warwickshire detour involved me ascending the "ski slope" at Austrey, which I hadn't done before. It looks worse than it is. Slightly more demanding than Alton Hill but nowhere near as bad as Bastard Hill near Ticknall, or Rotter's Rise south of Melbourne. You can just see it on the skyline in the following pic.

Came back through Shenton and Bosworth, which I haven't done for a while. It was sunny early on, but an unexpected heavy drizzle descended north of Bosworth for about 20 minutes.

Listened to Newcastle vs Leicester on 5 Live.

Gave the bike a bit of a clean and GT85-ed out the chain when I got back. I'll have to lube it tomorrow or on Tuesday. Back at about 4:30, roughly 25 mins after sunset. Considerably lighter at that time than it would have been a couple of weeks ago - the daylight hours have started to stretch out a bit.

Despite the drizzle, an enjoyable run out. 35.54 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4561862077

Just had a thought - could I devise a route that would take in all seven neighbouring counties of Leicestershire in the same ride? I'll have a look.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Nïckslïkk2112

Zoony might like to know that I've embarked on dry January - the time of year I polish off the bottles of wine I've acquired that are less than 12% alcohol...

I also embarked on my third ride of the year. I nearly didn't as I hadn't made use of the morning and then just before two this afternoon it started throwing it down. Cold rain, not nice. But, it stopped, so out I went.

Didn't take long for it to start up again, but it was quite light and fitful. Then, in Dronfield it became quite heavy and frightful, so I headed for home - with a brief detour to Linacre Reservoir when it eased off a bit, before becoming heavier again.

I was hoping for 33 miles to take me over 100 for the year, but settled for 29 and some coffee and cake, and a good GT85ing session of the chain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4561672425/
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Jonners

Couple of Zwift sessions in

Turbo is behaving nicely (think I was having issues with the skewer and back wheel sitting badly) , and the FTP is on the rise again

Fat as a fat thing after xmas though, luckily no hills in my garage
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Quote from: Slim on January 03, 2021, 21:17:52 pmJust had a thought - could I devise a route that would take in all seven neighbouring counties of Leicestershire in the same ride? I'll have a look.

Yes. It comes to about 137 miles. I don't mind the distance so much as the elevation gain though, 7215 feet. It would be the climbingest ride I've ever done. But perhaps I can get that down a bit with some judicious route editing.

Jonners

thats quite a lot! 

the one ride we did in majorca had about 8000ft in it, and that was in nice warm conditions. Was a fairly pleasant pace 

Yours would be spread out over almost double the distance though, with a couple of stops thrown in, so could be good fun

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Slim on January 05, 2021, 14:35:56 pmYes. It comes to about 137 miles. I don't mind the distance so much as the elevation gain though, 7215 feet. It would be the climbingest ride I've ever done. But perhaps I can get that down a bit with some judicious route editing.
That's only 52ft of climbing a mile - 1% gradient - you won't notice it. I averaged 81ft of climbing per mile last year, down from 83 in 2019. In years when I don't go out of my way to find hills I average 55-60ft of climbing per mile.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Slim

It was a dry afternoon, although the roads were a bit wet. I set off about 20 minutes after sunset, which was a slightly more tolerable 16:07 today. No fixed idea on where I wanted to go. I thought of going up over Swosser Bridge and west, but by the time I'd done the first few miles up Top Brand, I'd decided to keep it down to 20 miles or so. Too cold and damp. I went as far up as Tonge, then turned left along Nottingham Road to come back down.

As I reached the turn off for Melbourne though, I thought to myself - why not tick the Derbyshire box?

I thought I'd go up toward Melbourne as far as the Derbyshire border, scoot over it for a few metres then come back. I knew there was a 'Derbyshire' sign along there. And yet - I pedalled past it without noticing it. By the time I'd reached the top of Rotter's Rise I knew I must be in Derbyshire but out of bloody-mindedness I decided to go down it and right into Melbourne anyway. Then I turned back, and came back the usual way.

I noticed the Derbyshire sign on the way back easily enough. How I'd missed it, I have no idea but as it happened coming back up Rotter's Rise wasn't too bad. I seemed to warm up a bit as well and I quite enjoyed my run out to Melbourne in the end.

Back at about 7pm and it was definitely below freezing by then, with a layer of frost having formed on car windscreens.

I used a rechargeable head torch that I've had for a couple of years and I must say it's really impressed me - it's very light, has a powerful beam that lasts for hours and it wasn't expensive, either.

25.44 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4578523659

Jonners

Cripplingly hard Zwift session last night-The Purple Unicorn

Hard, hard work

DavidL

Quote from: Jonners on January 07, 2021, 11:15:15 amCripplingly hard Zwift session last night-The Purple Unicorn

Hard, hard work
Did a bit on the trainer myself last night. Not enough to turn my unicorn purple though

Jonners

1 hour 45 of intervals at different cadences. the 270w sections at 60rpm felt like I was cycling up the North face of the Eiger

Slim

A cold morning but no rain forecast, light winds, it was sunny and I wasn't on call - all of which added up to an irresistible case for doing the January Fondo.

As I ate breakfast I had a quick look through my Twitter feed. My MP, the redoubtable Andrew Bridgen, was urging people to "stay local with your exercise". Two of my fellow constituents were given £200 fixed penalty notices after driving five miles to take a walk at Foremark Reservoir, just a few miles from here.

I set off at 10:24, a bit later than I wanted really. But I got up later than I expected, I couldn't find my cycling glasses (ended up using an old pair of varifocals) and I had to lube the Tricross before I set off, having neglected to do that yesterday.

The plan was to go up through Coleorton, over Swarkestone Bridge and west along the trusty, flat A road, keep going until I'd done a bit more than 31 miles, then turn back and come back the same way. However I don't usually go much further west than Hilton or (less often) Hatton, and this route called upon me to remember a couple of turns before pedalling through a village called Marchington. As it happened though I missed a turn near Sudbury. Didn't realise I'd done this until I found myself running out of proper road and having to take a cycle path adjacent to the A50. But I wasn't overly bothered as I'd done about 30 miles by this time anyway, so I just needed to keep on for another mile and come back the same way.

The cycle path joined a proper road going into Uttoxeter. I'd done 31 miles now so I decided to turn back at the next roundabout.

However, the next roundabout had a sign to Marchington - so I thought I'd follow that, and come back the way I'd originally intended. A bit of an adventure. I did that. A bit hilly but really a lot of fun doing impromptu navigation on hitherto undiscovered roads.

I had to use the phone a few times to find my way through Marchington itself, but after that it was pretty much plain sailing. Sunny and pleasant for the first few hours, but about an hour before sunset a damp murk descended and the roads were a bit wet. I thought I might be back after dark and I was, so I'd brought lights.

No pub stops of course and I didn't use any shops. I took a backpack with plenty of food in it including a very sticky cinnamon bun that I bought at Tesco yesterday.

Back on 64.39 miles. Really a nice bit of exercise. Ticked another 'neighbouring counties' box as well, Staffordshire.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4593836061

Nïckslïkk2112

Went out in my shiny new Le Col jersey today. It came in a box proclaiming "Ride Faster, Ride Further". Well, like last Saturday I rode 35.88 miles, so no further. My average speed however was 0.5 mph faster. Could it be the jersey? Doubt it, even thought the weather was almost a carbon copy of last Saturday. Most probably down to a quicker start off due to not meeting traffic at junctions.

I was slower uphill though - 1 second up the Col de Wigley and 8 seconds up Loads Road. Can't explain the Wigley difference, but Loads Road had a frosty patina over it in places and the last 150ft of ascent the road had the finest covering of snow on it, probably just affected the traction a bit.

Derbyshire filth could have raked in a fortune this morning as the roads on the tops were full of people out walking their dogs. They must have driven a good five miles to get there. Main roads were less busy than normal, but the backroads were just as busy if not busier than ever, all the Merc/Audi/Beemer drivers were out exercising their cars. If they were testing their eyesight, then it's poor as they don't seem to be able to see cyclists.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4591519959/

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Nïckslïkk2112

Not at Slim levels yet, but I did my first 40 miler of the year today. First ride at an average of over 16 mph too. Not doing quite as much climbing this year.

Had my first ride up Harewood Road in a long while today. It's never been the best surfaced road, but it's a bit of a mess. Potholes everywhere, gravel and at one point huge Limestone chippings, then there were sections of extremely icy compacted snow. How they've lasted I don't know, but they were actually better to ride on than the normal road surface.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4599656972

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Jonners

Did a 2 hr 10 on zwift intervals session yesterday. Hard work, but got through another couple of episodes of the Last Kingdom

I am Utred, son of utred....

Nïckslïkk2112

Had a lie in today because the weather forecast was so bad. It was bad as well, because when I got up the sun was shining and there was no sign of the heavy snow/sleet/rain. 

Didn't go out this afternoon though either. The supposedly dry afternoon featured precipitation. The roads were rather wet too, so I sweat it out on the Turbo Trainer. Can't do 270W at 60 rpm. I'm a lightweight.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering