Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on November 11, 2020, 15:59:05 pmI plan to cycle a lot more next year  so that should help with the ageing process a little!
Aye, a couple of good long rides and you'll feel 90 :)
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

döm

When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

Quote from: döm on November 11, 2020, 13:43:04 pmMiddle age eh?  everything starts to fall apart. 

Yes. I don't miss it.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on November 11, 2020, 23:25:38 pmYes. I don't miss it.
;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm looking forward to things improving! Or is it just that you can now afford a good health policy? ;D

Slim

I really wanted to do at least 40 after work. I was able to get out reasonably early, it was dry, it wasn't too cold. I set off at 4pm on the Boardman. Wasn't sure exactly where I'd go but I was on call so I couldn't stray too far from base. Started by going out through Donington le Heath and Ellistown, then I doubled back after about 4 miles, to the south-east. The early evening traffic was pretty heavy along there; it wasn't the best idea.

Not long after this, I checked my phone. I hadn't had a call but I checked MS Teams, in case someone had tried to contact me. I'd left an issue half-resolved, hoping that I could finish it off tomorrow but nope - a colleague was asking for help. I decided I'd return home but continue my ride after I'd sorted it out.

A few miles later I leaned my bike against our front wall, entered the front door, dived into my man cave, did five minutes of server admin and dispatched a quick email. About seven minutes later I was off out into the dark again.

Having done roughly 11 miles at this point I decided I'd do a Twycrosser. But I only did a relatively short one. I'd done 31 miles by the time I was back round at Ibstock, and I decided I'd had enough. Home on 33.10 miles.

No good excuse for it, really. I wasn't particularly tired. I wasn't cold. It wasn't raining. I just fancied kicking back and listening to the footy or watching something on the telly. I just hope I don't end up having to make up for it in the snow or rain in late December.

I may do a few miles tomorrow, though. 619 to go.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4328635005

I was quite surprised to see Strava award me a personal best for a segment that I must have done dozens of times, towards Packington. Certainly I wasn't trying to go any quicker than usual. I can only assume it's a fairly new one.

OK I've just checked, it's not a new one. Strava has recorded four times for me on that stretch of road, the first in August 2017. But I have done it dozens of times. I don't get it.

DavidL

As the forecast for this weekend looked so dire, last night me and the wife hatched a little challenge on the mag trainer for today. We would cycle for 4 hours, each of us doing a 15 minute stint before handing over to the other. The plan was to see how far we could go in that time and donate a pound for each mile to Children In Need (virtue signal 😉)
It was a good way to cover a big distance, tbf (not as boring as doing it all in one go). I managed to listen to a lot of music. Feeling a bit tired now and even though I got through a bidon, I'm very thirsty!
Anyways, we managed 87.4 miles

Nïckslïkk2112

Well, I was hoping for a dry slot in the afternoon to get outside, but alas no, so it was a Turbo Trainer session instead.

I had planned a structured session, 10 mins at Tempo, 10 mins at Threshold, then as long as I could stand at VO2 max. I struggled with 10 minutes at Tempo :( I blame the bit of a cold I've had this week. Looking at my power curve I'm not far off where my power outputs over a shortscale and not far off at the hour scale, but well down on the medium term. I suppose it says something.

But that's now over 1,000 indoor miles for the year.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Slim

An unexpected break in the rain for a few hours appeared late this morning and I was off out on the Tricross at about 11:20am. I'm on call at the moment and couldn't go far, but I wasn't expecting to get out at all so I was very happy.

However, not more than a minute after I'd set off, I had a sudden thought - had I actually remembered to bring my phone? I reached round to my back pocket. I had a slice of pizza, a small pork pie and some garlic bread in a plastic sandwich bag and a small torch, but it appeared that I didn't have a phone.

Well, feck. Statistically though, the probability of being called on a Sunday was low and I wasn't going to go back for it. I pressed on. Perhaps I'd do twenty miles and come back, or maybe I'd do ten, go in for it and do another ten or fifteen.

The thought that it might have gone off at home, a harbinger of some calamity at a customer site that I would appear to be casually ignoring played on my mind as I pedalled, until I stopped for a wee break at my usual off-road spot near Twycross. I scoffed the pork pie and put its wrapper into the side pocket of my nylon outer layer. Hallelujah! The phone was in there.

So I pressed on down to Sheepy, up Burton Road to Gibbet Lane and up through Congerstone, Barton, Odstone, Swepstone. I detoured Heather Lane via Ibstock, since it was covered in mud the last time I'd been along there (in a car).

Home on 30.10 miles, a fairly typical Twycrosser. Nice and sunny for the first hour or two, really quite pleasant. The wind was fairly strong but not too annoying. Getting gloomy and colder over the last few miles, and less than five minutes after I'd put the bike away the rain started to come down. Beautiful timing.

Continued listening to the fourth Reacher audiobook, I think I'm most of the way through now. Good stuff though it could do with an editor.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4342193808

270 done this month, 5625 this year.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quite marvellously it stayed dry this afternoon and was sunny too. The roads were almost dry as well. It was great to be out - apart from the wind. Why do I always forget it gets windier the higher up you go? Thankfully I just stayed below the serious winds, I could hear them above my head , but they never quite descended to my level. Thankfully as I did nearly come off my bike at one point - but that was just at the shock of actually seeing an Audi indicate!

Now I know "Lockdown" 2 isn't as strict as the previous one, but the amount of traffic on the roads is ridiculous. How many essential journeys are people making? I was seeing the amount of traffic on some roads that normally would take ten rides to see, mainly BMWs, Audis, Mercs and Range Rovers. I guess purchasing one of those vehicles gives you the entitlement to behave as you please. I know its stereotyping, but by golly there isn't half a great deal of supporting evidence for said stereotype.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4342872285

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Jonners

Managed a longer ride yesterday, 52 miles.
Confience returning each time I go out, which is pleasing

Felt bloody hard work though, wind from the west was ridiculous at times
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

On call at the moment, as is so frequently the case these days. But I was able to leave work while it was still light, albeit not for long, and not very light, either. A very gloomy day, yet one which carried a very low risk of rain, according to the meteorologists.

Didn't have a clear plan in mind when I left the house, except to do about 40 miles without straying too far from home. I went up through Coleorton and Belton, very much enjoying myself as it was rather mild and I had a light tailwind. Then I looped sharp left to Diseworth and came back down Top Brand, fighting the same gusty breeze from the south in headwind mode. Turned right at Alton Hill, only about a mile or so from home and tacked on a Twycrosser, to the south.

Back on 43.46 miles.

Quite enjoyable. Being right out in the sticks in the dark in a strong wind takes you out of your comfort zone a bit, but the sense of doing that is quite satisfying, even if the experience isn't. But of course some of the ride was through decently lit villages as well.

Listened to the Drive programme on 5 Live until they started up with the one-sided race politics yet again. They'd invited a black woman to pontificate on the subjects of institutional racism and "white privilege", without any opposing, balancing viewpoint being represented of course. The BBC is a bit like a broadcast version of Ebony magazine at the moment. After that I switched to 6 Music.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4352938148

314 done this month.

Slim

Looks like a nice afternoon out there and hopefully I can do another 40 or so after work. This morning's rain is drying up nicely. But it looks like the temperature will be down to 2C before I put the bike away again.

546 miles to target, and if I can get that down to 400 before the end of the month I'll be very confident of reaching it in 2020.

Jonners

Temperature appears to have really dropped off today, was going to try an out door ride tomorrow but we shall see now
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Well I wanted to do 40 after work and I managed to get out at about 3:50pm, while it was still light. Started off by going up through Coleorton and up Top Brand to Isley Walton, then west to Melbourne. I was thinking of going up over Swosser Bridge again but decided to come straight back down again. By this time it was dark of course, and very cold. I decided that 30 miles would do. By the time I'd hit Coleorton I was colder still, and I'd decided to make do with the 21 or so that I'd have done by the time I made it home by the quickest route.

But I did do a few more around Coalville. Back on 26.76 miles.

I've been annoyed by inconsiderate drivers in oncoming vehicles blinding me with both barrels of full beam headlights recently, so I bought a new head torch which I've named The Punisher. Unlike ordinary head torches which are powered by a couple of AAAs or an internal rechargeable, this one has a separate battery pack containing two big old 3.7v lithium batteries, and by God it's bright. I was illuminating roadside trees 200 metres further down the road. And it can be used as a weapon with just a subtle uptilt of the head, and a careful aim.

I noticed what appeared to be a police cyclist emerge from a side road in front of me near Lount. He or she had a brightly reflective vest with a chequered pattern, flashing front and rear lights on his or her helmet and what I thought at first was the word POLICE in white on a dark background on the back of the vest. But on closer inspection, it actually said POLITE.

Just done a bit of googling and I think it was one of these or very similar:

Certainly highly visible and my head torch lit it up like a Christmas tree. But I don't think I'll be joining the Polite Force myself.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4361546459

Nïckslïkk2112

Got up early - well nine - again today to make best use of the day. Right call as the weather took a turn for the worse this afternoon and I wouldn't have had time for a two hour ride.

It was a bit blowy though. The weather forecast did say moderate winds but it looked still at home. Go up and bit and it was blowy. Going up Loads Road was a complete slogathon today, took me a minute and twenty longer than last Sunday - and it was windy last week - but a shift from SW to WSW made it harder work, but all the more worthwhile after summiting because after that it was mainly downhill.

I had thought there was a dearth of cyclists on the roads today, but once up on Beeley Moor it was snided with them, they appeared left right and centre. Didn't catch sight of the Snow Bunting that's been sighted up there, but there was a flat pheasant.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4368833713

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering