Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on June 26, 2020, 22:31:53 pmEeuuuurrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't mean bidon do you?
:D

I did of course mean bidon.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Slim

June 28, 2020, 21:19:50 pm #4081 Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 21:21:53 pm by Slim
My 'official' target for June, as decreed by my spreadsheet, is 573 miles. However I was hoping to have clocked up 600 by the time July kicks in on Wednesday, having done only 503 as of this morning. So I wanted to do at least 50 today.

Mild weather with a possibility of rain in the afternoon, and a powerful wind blowing from the west. Not the best weather for it really, but I wheeled the X out of the garage at 11:05.

One of the as-yet unconquered counties of England is Gloucestershire, which would require a round trip of about 115 miles. I wasn't going to do that today, but thought to do the first 25 miles or so, then turn back. Most of that 25 miles is a familiar route going south, to Stoney Stanton.

So I did that. Unfortunately though the last 5 of those 25 miles would have involved riding right into the teeth of the wind, following a right turn after Sapcote - so after less than a mile of that I took a right turn and began exploring a bit. I found my way back to Stoney Stanton, but took a different route back to Earl Shilton from there. After Kirkby Mallory I decided to come back up through Bosworth rather than Newbold and Ellistown.  I pushed the mile tally up a bit by continuing up through Newton Burgoland where I rested at a bench and took the following pic, and all the way up to Ashby.

Home on 51.51 miles.

Very changeable weather, I got rained on a couple of times but the sun came out a few times as well. I had warm sunshine for the last 30 minutes or so which dried the bike off nicely.

The Casio servers have deigned to pass the activity through to Strava this time. They still haven't bothered with the last one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3684389852

555 this month, not sure I'll get to 600 in June but I should certainly manage 573.

Nïckslïkk2112

My 40 miles for the day took me to 287.8 for the week, my highest weekly total. At some point in June I passed my previous best elevation gain for a month too. Doubt I'll best those again any time soon - unless we get a sudden second COVID19 spike.

It was bloody windy again today. Going up Far Lane - not one of my favourite climbs - I set my second slowest time, yet of the 16 attempts of the day on Strava I was second fastest. Once again the weather dictated my route, so I didn't get to do the roads I missed put yesterday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3685092350
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Jonners

Did the ride to Blithfield Reservoir and Abbots Bromley with my pals yesterday, nice steady 54 miles.

There is a Team room/Stables area at Abbotts called Cobwebs which is a Mecca for cyclists, you guys must try and find it if you are in the area. It really is worth a visit, a few little shops there as well, a Gin boutique, a butchers etc

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g2620419-d4581656-Reviews-Cobwebs_Coffee_Shop-Abbots_Bromley_Rugeley_Staffordshire_England.html

Think there must have been a Specialized S-works convention there yesterday, my little group got a bit "bike envy" ! But, the bike wont get you up a hill, your legs do that.

Arse update: what did feel like a ball bearing under the skin is more just a little lump now, so fingers crossed!
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Thanks Jonners, I do go through Abbotts Bromley sometimes but didn't know about that.

Jonners

Very bike friendly. open at 10am so timing is critical!

Slim

I would usually have a knee recovery day before riding a bike again, but wanted to split my remaining 45 miles for June into two chunks, so I went out on the Tricross after work. Cold, overcast and windy, but I wrapped up warm. I did a 20.54 mile run around Diseworth, going up through Thringstone and Belton, across to Diseworth, back down along Top Brand and Coleorton.

The wind was bloody annoying, especially coming down Top Brand, where it should have been more of a sidewind, really. But at least there was no rain.

I must say, the Tricross rolled along really pleasantly - odd that the same bike can seem sluggish on some days and frictionless on others. Maybe the conditions suited it.

My knees are actually a bit hurty now - nothing too serious but I probably won't ride a bike tomorrow. So I've actually defeated the object of my ride.

Still - 575 miles this month, which is over the official target. But I'd like to have done 600.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3689134049

DavidL

June 30, 2020, 09:44:07 am #4087 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:45:54 am by DavidL
Managed to find the wife a road bike yesterday  ;D .
Been scouring eBay, Marketplace and Gumtree for a couple of weeks but always seem to miss out on anything suitable.  Found a Trek Lexa 3 that was the right size (50cm) and turned out to be a decent bike and worth the two and a half hour round trip.
The Lexa is a womens specific aluminium frameset with carbon forks . I think it's a 2017 model and is fitted with Sora components and Bontrager wheels, seat post etc. It's not seen a lot of use but a few marks here and there on the frame but will clean up nicely. The frame is matt black with little flashes of pink in places (sexist ;D ). It was advertised at £350 (rrp £749) and seller was adamant that it had to achieve that price but I think it was a good buy.
I'll be checking it over tonight and hopefully her 'transition' course can begin this week. She's chuffed (and I'm glad I've no longer got to spend time looking for something!). Hopefully we'll soon be averaging something closer to 17/18mph rather than the 12/13mph we manage on the mountain bikes!

Jonners

Quote from: Slim on June 29, 2020, 22:37:17 pmI would usually have a knee recovery day before riding a bike again, but wanted to split my remaining 45 miles for June into two chunks, so I went out on the Tricross after work. Cold, overcast and windy, but I wrapped up warm. I did a 20.54 mile run around Diseworth, going up through Thringstone and Belton, across to Diseworth, back down along Top Brand and Coleorton.

The wind was bloody annoying, especially coming down Top Brand, where it should have been more of a sidewind, really. But at least there was no rain.

I must say, the Tricross rolled along really pleasantly - odd that the same bike can seem sluggish on some days and frictionless on others. Maybe the conditions suited it.

My knees are actually a bit hurty now - nothing too serious but I probably won't ride a bike tomorrow. So I've actually defeated the object of my ride.

Still - 575 miles this month, which is over the official target. But I'd like to have done 600.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3689134049
what is your natural cadence when you ride?

On windy days, I often find myself (not deliberately) riding in a lower cadence and pushing bigger gears than I normally would. Then, afterwards, my knees hurt

Last night was crazy windy around us, and I had the bizarre incident of entering a road, and while on it both ends got closed off for very urgent roadworks. Called Somerville road in Sutton Coldfield, and it is the worst tarmac I have ever ridden on, literally a patch work quilt of bodge jobs over the years.

zoony

Quote from: Jonners on June 30, 2020, 11:05:28 amit is the worst tarmac I have ever ridden on, literally a patch work quilt of bodge jobs over the years.
Lol, that is the norm round here where I live mate. Literally like driving on a never ending farm lane.

Jonners

Cant remember where you live mate, but I predominantly ride in Stafforsdhire and in/around Brum, and the roads are just woeful.

Too many cars+ too much rain + no budgets=shit roads.

zoony

Quote from: Jonners on June 30, 2020, 19:56:40 pmCant remember where you live mate, but I predominantly ride in Stafforsdhire and in/around Brum, and the roads are just woeful.

Too many cars+ too much rain + no budgets=shit roads.
Shropshire mate, very close to the southern border though. As I drive towards Bewdley and Kidderminster, I actually enter Worcestershire after about 9 miles. Apparently, Shrewsbury gets most of the budget for everything in Shropshire, which actually isn't that far from us (around 28 miles).

Slim

Quote from: Jonners on June 30, 2020, 11:05:28 amwhat is your natural cadence when you ride?

Don't know, actually. I did measure it a few years ago. I'm always conscious of keeping it as easy as poss, and I probably change gear more often than most cyclists.

Slim

That's it for June, then. Some mid-year stats:

.. and 3103 miles done.

I took a look at the figures for my highest mile tally year so far, 2016. In the first six months of that year I'd done 2270 miles over 145 rides (!) with an average distance of 15.65 miles and just one Fondo. My cycling behaviour has evolved quite a bit.

Nïckslïkk2112

Well, that was my first evening ride of the year, just as the nights start to draw in. Thanks "Lockdown".

The 31.7 miles covered took me to 1,098 for June, with 84,430ft of ascent and just the one Fondo.

I did start hearing an ominous "Ticking" sound towards the end of my ride, turns out it was the speed sensor magnet hitting the sensor unit. Phew! What wasn't a phew was a very low pressure rear tyre with a bit of sealant seeping out from the sides. I hope it's not because it isn't seated properly. I'll change the valve core tomorrow see if that helps.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection