Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 12, 2013, 00:27:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on May 20, 2020, 12:06:58 pmWell, if I were out on the road, I wouldn't be that far from home. In these days I'm not straying more than 7 miles as the crow flies from home.
That way, should I suffer an insurmountable problem with the bike I can walk home in a couple of hours max.
Doesn't the wife offer a "broom wagon" service?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

döm

I see Strava are going to start charging for their segments. To see where you stand in comparison to others and how you have performed over a certain segment over time will now become part of their subscription service. I may have to take the plunge.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

Fair enough, I think they provide a superb service for free accounts. I don't think I need to compare my segment times with other people though so I shall continue to freeload.

My trusty old hybrid, on which I started this epic road journey of 22232 miles (and counting) in January 2015, has now gone to a new home, having done 2987 of them.

Until the gear cable snapped that was a very reliable bike. I never had to make a single adjustment to it.

Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on May 20, 2020, 15:34:32 pmDoesn't the wife offer a "broom wagon" service?
Under normal circumstances. If I can get to a main road that she knows. In current circumstances I don't want her taking any risks.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Nick

Quote from: döm on May 20, 2020, 17:37:50 pmI see Strava are going to start charging for their segments. To see where you stand in comparison to others and how you have performed over a certain segment over time will now become part of their subscription service. I may have to take the plunge.
Took the plunge, £4/month. It's been an excellent app for free and although I never signed up for the pro version I don't mind paying for this as it really helps drive me when I'm cycling.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

Day off today so took the Giant for a spin. Headed north towards Woodstock/Bladon and went out as far as the Heyfords and Steeple Aston. From there a nice ride through The Bartons to Enstone then Charlbury, Finstock, Hailey and home. A few climbs on route but a serious cyclist would certainly not class them as hills! Quite warm but didn't need all my drink. 
34.76 miles @ 17.5mph average.

döm

Quote from: Slim on May 20, 2020, 19:23:34 pmFair enough, I think they provide a superb service for free accounts. I don't think I need to compare my segment times with other people though so I shall continue to freeload.

My trusty old hybrid, on which I started this epic road journey of 22232 miles (and counting) in January 2015, has now gone to a new home, having done 2987 of them.

Until the gear cable snapped that was a very reliable bike. I never had to make a single adjustment to it.

I do like to see how performed on a particular section over time and against those I follow.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Jonners

Quote from: döm on May 20, 2020, 17:37:50 pmI see Strava are going to start charging for their segments. To see where you stand in comparison to others and how you have performed over a certain segment over time will now become part of their subscription service. I may have to take the plunge.
Final straw in the Strava coffin for me. Not paying for that.

They piss around with your stats which really annoys me, and then asking me to pay for the privelege of seeing them? No thanks

I use Garmin Connect anyway, which then transfers to Strava, so will just stick with Garmin.
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Cloudy after I left work, but still very warm. Didn't have that much time but I took the X out up to Melbourne, across to Ticknall and back through Ashby. Only 22.09 miles but pretty hilly, especially on the way back where I had to negotiate Bastard Hill then Alton Hill to get home.

Beautiful out there, and so nice to be out in minimal clothing in a warm breeze.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3489985442

485 this month.

Jonners

Did my best ever upgrade yesterday, a new Pump!

I have been struggling to get an airtight connection between the male and female parts when trying tu pump my tyres up, think some connection/rubber ring must have failed.

So, got a nice topeak one from chain reaction yesterday, reduced to £29

Turns out the other pump was measuring PSI incorrectly as well, as when I did my first pump up I though "christ, these are going to explode soon"

Turns out the old one was measuring about 30PSI more than was correct, so have been riding underinflated. I normally aim for between 90-100, but miust have been between 60-70 which is far too low

So, went for a ride last night, felt like I was riding on pneumatics! Made things slightly faster, but what was noticeable was towards the end of the ride I felt like I had more energy.
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

May 23, 2020, 10:10:09 am #3970 Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:18:36 am by Slim
That's interesting as both my stirrup pumps are relatively inexpensive; one (now inaccessible at my Mum's place in Hartlepool) was from Halfords and the other one, which I use all the time, I think was from Tesco. But they both work well and as far as I can tell the pressure gauges are consistent.

I might treat myself to a a new one.

In other news - Strava's route planner, which I use all the time, has undergone an overhaul. It's now out of "experimental" mode and has some new features. It looks a lot different as well, and annoyingly I don't seem to be able to change any of the settings. Might be that the settings are now a paid feature? But it doesn't actually warn you that that's the case so I suspect it's a bug.

EDIT: OK it looks like the whole of Routes is now a paid feature, which is annoying but fair enough. I can't edit any of the routes I already have set up in there. I can still export them to GPX files though, so all is not lost. There are a number of free alternatives so I'll check those out before I invest in a paid Strava account.

Slim

A windy day, but almost warm. Not the right conditions for a long one, but I thought to do 20 or 30. Since the wind was coming from the west I did the southbound route. I thought I'd go to the corner of Kirkby Lane and come back, but I ended up going along to Desford, then across to Kirkby Mallory. Then up the usual way from Bosworth, except that I came back through Swepstone and Ibstock.

The weather forecast had led me to expect that the risk of rain was very slight, but I did get hit by a couple of heavy showers. However both my clothing and the bike dried off fairly quickly in the high velocity (almost) warm air, which I found quite cathartic.

Quite enjoyable, something a bit different from the usual run down to (or round) Twycross. I took the X, as I wanted to test a modification I'd made to the angle of the bars. A bit more comfortable now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3499441087

30.14 miles, 515 this month.

Red Star

Well chaps, I'm no further forward in getting my first road bike unfortunately despite looking online every day. New stock is decimated everywhere in bike shops the length and breadth of the country and sellers are taking advantage of the situation on eBay where 2nd hand bikes are seriously overpriced but due to the shortage people are willing to pay inflated prices. I'm still hopeful of bagging a fair priced good used model in my size within travelling distance so I'll keep looking. Hope you are all enjoying cycling in this nice weather and Simmers I hope you have recovered from your spill.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Slim

I'd thought of getting myself a Casio solar GPS Rangeman a year or two ago, but it turned out that they don't sync to Strava and there's no way to get the track off the watch, so I was put off.

However a new model has now been released, the G-Shock G-SQUAD GBD-H1000.

Wrist pictured is not mine.

I'm a bit of a Casio fanboi and the idea of having a cycling watch that I can keep topped up on a windowsill strongly appeals, so I've ordered one.

It has fewer features than the Rangeman, but on the plus side - it's not quite so bulky, it's cheaper and most importantly - the app it connects to will upload to Strava.

Nïckslïkk2112

Thanks Mr Star, I'm getting there, but it's all a bit two steps forward and one step back. I think I could operate the brake lever now, but still can't do the front derailleur shifting. Funny, but when I used to topple over at traffic lights when I failed to unclip after going over to using clipless pedals all I hurt was my pride, but now I bugger myself up. Probably old age :(

I'm sure you'll happen upon a bike soon, we've been unable to get yeast for our breadmaker since before "Lockdown" but Mrs S went out today and managed to procure some. Now all we need is some flour...
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection