Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 82242 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #3255 on: December 01, 2018, 17:29:37 PM »
Well, I had thought my cold had gone, but I was back to gobbing up phlegmy chunks this morning. Nice. Mrs S has now been coughing for three weeks solid, perhaps she's reinfected me.
It was a misty, damp, drizzly, morning, but the afternoon was much less misty and damp and the drizzle had turned to intermittent heavy showers. Heavy showers which barely showed up on the Met Office's rainfall radar when I got home. Must have been the wrong sort of rain.
Still it was a nice ride, although the uphill bits seemed steeper than usual. I even resorted to the granny gear up one hill. I try to avoid using it, but I needed to today. Didn't see any other cyclists out on the road until sunset, then loads appeared, must all have been rushing to get home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1994700073/
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3256 on: December 02, 2018, 17:03:45 PM »
Well, my cold finally appears to have gone. So I thought I'd do what I did last Sunday. Of course I ended up being slower today. Just goes to show the difference wind makes. Last week it was a light NE breeze and today a fresh SW breeze, which meant both the start and most of the end of my ride were into the wind. It didn't help that all the population of Chesterfield seemed to be descending upon the new Coop mini supermarket in Newbold. Why?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1996666628/
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #3257 on: December 02, 2018, 19:45:09 PM »
Just can’t get out in this weather.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3258 on: December 02, 2018, 20:29:47 PM »
Just can’t get out in this weather.

Rule #5//Harden The feck Up.

Legend in my own Mind

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3259 on: December 02, 2018, 21:04:46 PM »
Bloody miserable up here today ,and as much as I like cycling not going out too get soaked ,far rather stay in and read a good book with hot chocolate .

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #3260 on: December 02, 2018, 21:08:45 PM »

I am hard for a Southener!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3261 on: December 02, 2018, 21:46:29 PM »

I am hard for a Southener!
Does not compute1

Get thissen up North, where men are men and sheep are scared.
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3262 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
I'm building a bike!

Los of bits hanging around in my garage, including a carbon frame from when I had my crash (yes, its been checked!)

No idea what to do, but could be fun
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3263 on: December 05, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
Don't have much enthusiasm for cycling in the current dank, wet gloom.

November's distance tally came to 89 miles, over four rides.

Physio again tomorrow. Knees still hurt. Don't know if I'll ever be able to do more than 30 again in a single ride without hurting myself. I'll see what she says.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3264 on: December 06, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
done my 6000miles  for the year, and about 300,000ft of climbing apparently!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3265 on: December 06, 2018, 13:38:48 PM »
Went to see the physio and she agreed with me that it might be a good idea to try resting my knees for a long period, since the pain is persisting and I haven't actually tried that yet. So I said I'd have a break from cycling until I'm due to see the NHS on Jan 21st. She did insist I should keep doing the exercises though.

So, unless I cheat, and as I type this I can't help thinking that I'm bound to do a sneaky 15 miles at some point, that brings the December campaign to a close at 0 miles, and 2018 comes in at 2114 miles. Just got it over the 2112 line.

Gutting really because I do enjoy a ride out over the Xmas hols, it's become something of a tradition.

If it turns out to be career-ending, I wonder if i could get some of the fun I used to get from cycling long distances from a small motorbike instead? Or even a moped? I certainly wouldn't get the same sense of achievement from doing 100 miles but it might be quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3266 on: December 06, 2018, 15:24:42 PM »
Of course the mouse executions will continue regardless. Topped another one in the last couple of days. Ejected its lifeless body from the garage today. 15.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3267 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »
Fingers crossed you will be OK, resting injuries has been a process well used for many a year......

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3268 on: December 08, 2018, 17:26:44 PM »
Fitted some clip on mudguards to my winter bike this week - some SKS Raceblade pro's - and today was the perfect day to test them out, also the perfect day to obey rule #5. It may not have been raining to start with, but it soon made up for it and it was consistently windy throughout.
Did the mudguards make much difference? Well, I certainly didn't get a brown stripe up my back today - other than when an Audi close passed me - and the bike stayed a lot cleaner. So yes they probably did. Most reviews of them say they're not the best for riding in company as the rear one is quite short, but that's fine by me as I'm Billy nomates and if I did have any cycling buddies I'd love to piss them off :)
I had wanted to do the same ride as last Saturday, but the wind put the kibosh on that. When it was a cross wind up on the tops it was quite dangerous, I was having to ride unclipped as I was constantly being blown across the road and might have suddenly needed a foot to put down to stop a fall. It only cost me four miles, so not too bad, but only a 15.3 mph average speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2006766067/
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #3269 on: December 08, 2018, 18:57:28 PM »

If it turns out to be career-ending, I wonder if i could get some of the fun I used to get from cycling long distances from a small motorbike instead? Or even a moped? I certainly wouldn't get the same sense of achievement from doing 100 miles but it might be quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Have you considered an electric bike? Many different types of course but you could mix it up as you cycled along, legs on the flats and an electric assist for the hills.