Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 78097 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #3195 on: October 07, 2018, 20:29:48 PM »
Got my October Fondo in today. Just. Wasn't the purpose of the ride, but being as I looked like ending up very close to Fondo distance I stretched things out a bit. Mrs S was doing her best search party impression when I got back as I said I'd be back at 18:30 at the latest and it was 18:36 when I rolled onto the drive.
Good to see that I was cycling by Amber Valley Vineyards at Vendage time. They were picking a good week later than the other local vineyard at Remishaw, but then the top of the Amber Valley vineyards are at 700ft, can't be many higher vineyards in England than that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1890597429/
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3196 on: October 10, 2018, 19:43:32 PM »
Both knees feeling a bit less debilitated today. Left work early to do a Belton run, since I haven't been over that way for quite a while.

Didn't think I'd get a chance to go for a ride with my legs out again this year, but summer is back! If not quite the real deal, then a decent tribute act. Warm out there, and sunny.

Entered the garage to find two dead mice, one of them really small. A juvenile I think. A bit sad. But better a snap trap than a cat or a hawk or something. I've bodybagged them and reset the traps. Looked to have been rather quick as usual.

Disappointingly, I somehow took a wrong turn on one of my oldest and most established routes. I briefly considered continuing on to Diseworth and coming back the old way from Donington, but thought better of it and backtracked. I'd added about a mile to my ride, nothing serious.

Top Brand used to be a shocking boneshaker of a road coming south, but a metre-wide strip of the east side of the road has been resurfaced over the bad, crumbly bits and it's a joy to roll along now. Back just before sunset.

I took a Garmin watch along with my Soleus GPS this time, just to confirm my previous finding, determined by comparison with the Android Strava app, that the Soleus exaggerates distances.

The Garmin and my magnet-driven bike computer agreed very closely - the Garmin measured the distance done as 17.02 miles, whereas the bike computer made it 17.019 - only a fewyards of difference over 17 miles. The Soleus claimed 17.37.

I probably calibrated the bike computer to the same Garmin watch so it can be discounted as an authority in this contest, but Google Maps and the Strava app also agree with the Garmin. So there's no doubt that the Soleus does award unearned distances. Shame as it's a convenient watch with an intuitive layout showing time of day alongside distance done.

Anyway - nice to know the bike computer doesn't need recalibrating.

That's five in a row on the X, and 52 this month.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3197 on: October 11, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
Just had a quick look at my next weeks training plan on Zwift.

If I dont speak again chaps, its been a pleasure............
The new songs are an abomination

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3198 on: October 11, 2018, 19:35:19 PM »
^Indoor cyclists  ::) get out into the real world Jonners

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3199 on: October 11, 2018, 20:15:44 PM »
Well said Mr Ogg, indoors is for slumping on the settee, eating crisps and drinking beer. Outside is for cycling to work off the crisps and beer :)
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3200 on: October 13, 2018, 18:27:20 PM »
Well, today turned our sunnier than forecast, it turned out drier than forecast, but it turned out just as windy as forecast, which is good in a way as it's better than expecting a gentle breeze which turns out to be a nagging breeze. At least it was warm enough to return to summer gear - and sweat!
It made for slow progress though as I rode out into it, I'd say it was knocking a good 2-3 mph off my usual average speed on those rode. It kept coming very close to blowing me off - oooerrr missus - whenever it was a gusty side wind, in fact after a few close calls I thought about aborting the ride, but I persevered due to the thought that at some point it would become a tail wind.
However, by the time I'd got a tailwind I was knackered! I'd been hoping to set a best time on a segment which I'd not done well on for about 30 months, but the wind was a bit of a gusty crosswind when I got there. But, I thought to myself, just hold on a minute Sims, you've got a supposedly better bike and you should - should - be a bit fitter than you were, so I knuckled down to it and managed to shave 2 seconds off my PB :) At the cost of losing all remaining strength in my legs...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1902480484/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 21:30:40 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3201 on: October 13, 2018, 18:33:41 PM »
Remarkably warm out there today. But rather wet in the morning, and far too windy in the afternoon. I did about ten minutes on the trainer to get a bit of exercise into my knees and quads. Not a lot, but enough to keep ticking over I hope.

I didn't bother with Zwift, it was a spur of the moment sort of thing. I'd only gone in there to set an iSCSI server up.

Did a km on the rowing machine later,  but did the last half of that without using my legs (planted my feet forward of the stirrups). I was getting a bit concerned that the knee angle is probably a bit too acute - almost like squatting. Equivalent to having your saddle too low while riding, which is exactly what buggers your knees.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3202 on: Yesterday at 23:33:20 »
No cycling for a few days, mainly due to weather as well as being careful not to overdo it. Dry enough by 4:40 or so to take the X out of the garage for a run out. Wanted to do 15-20 miles. In the end I did a Twycross of 22.24 miles distance. A bit cold, so I wrapped up warm. But pleasant nonetheless. Sunny.

Both knees felt a bit sore from the first pedal stroke - it seems that at the moment it's best to keep them exercised. But they didn't seem to get any worse and in fact - at the risk of sounding like a pervert - it was that curiously pleasant sort of soreness, that feels stimulating when you provoke it. I'm hoping that's nature's way of telling me to exercise my injury. I will no doubt be putting some miles in on Zwift over the next few weeks, though I haven't done that for quite some time.

Quite annoyed to see a bloke in a car parked at my relief spot near Twycross, so I kept on going. I shouldn't have taken the impulse right turn to Sheepy, because I didn't have a rear light and it was getting a bit late. But I was enjoying myself. Stopped briefly at the Gibbet Post for an overdue wee and idly removed a bit more of the crusty moss from the bench. It was dark by the time I got to Heather, with two miles to go. Light enough to see the road in front of me but I should have had a rear light on.

Noticed another executed mouse in the garage. One yesterday, as well. Both nice and quick. That must make it about 12 of them that I've topped now. Starting to feel like a rodent death camp kommandant. Today's victim was quite small so I just flipped it into the hedge outside the garage and reset the trap.

Anyway - 74 this month, 1996 this year.