Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 80295 times)

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #3165 on: September 16, 2018, 13:45:48 PM »
Cable ties would be my idea for fixing the cradle to something other than the front forks .

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #3166 on: September 16, 2018, 18:43:34 PM »
So much for weather forecasts. Nary  drop of rain this morning. I could have done the Cycle Derby North Sportive, but them again, the wind was wrong for it and the first rider I saw on Strava to have completed it called the ride "Brutal".

I only did 36 miles today because the updated forecast of 50% chance of drizzle turned out to be 100% Deluge. So I cut short my plans. Of course as soon as I get home the skies clear and the more than moderate breeze drops light too. Ho-bloody-hum.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1846163173
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #3167 on: September 16, 2018, 18:44:19 PM »
Nice ride out at midday, don’t think I have ever seen so many squirrels on a ride. Nut time I guess.

Also think the local swallows have gone south now. Better get my log order placed.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #3168 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »
Simon Yates  ;D
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3169 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
Cable ties would be my idea for fixing the cradle to something other than the front forks .
I don't think that would work well for a slim tube and a bottle cage. Needs to be quite rigid so there's no risk of fouling the back wheel. Might be worth a try, though.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3170 on: September 17, 2018, 18:48:51 PM »
Leg has been put in a soft cast and it will remain encased for the next 4 weeks so no driving never mind cycling.

Physio after that and the guy applying the cast did say cycling would be good for recovery. Probably not for a while though

I can work from home but 4 weeks will drive me stir crazy.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3171 on: September 18, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
Missed this Dom. What have you done?
The new songs are an abomination

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3172 on: September 19, 2018, 13:55:06 PM »
Missed this Dom. What have you done?

Ah, embarrassingly I mis-kicked a football and managed to tear a muscle in my thigh! 

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #3173 on: September 20, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
Not all French are good footballers then, encouraging to know!
The new songs are an abomination

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3174 on: September 20, 2018, 13:05:28 PM »
Not all French are good footballers then, encouraging to know!

Anglo-French!  I was never any good at football but always enjoyed playing.  Enthusiasm helped to compensate a little for my lack of ability!  But if I didn't already know I'm pretty sure that my football playing days are well and truly over

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3175 on: September 22, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »
Well ****.

Here's the weekend, I could quite easily do 25 miles or so and I don't even feel like it. Cold and gloomy out there.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #3176 on: September 22, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
Same here, cant bring myself to go out, cleaning out garage and packing away garden furniture for the winter. According to some papers the winter is going to be another Beast.

Charity ride next weekend so will be doing a 65 miler come what may.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #3177 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
According to some papers the winter is going to be another Beast.
Yeah, right. They can't even forecast from one day to the next.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3178 on: September 22, 2018, 15:48:30 PM »
I'm convinced that the exercise is helping my knees to recover so I forced myself to go out for a bit. I took the original Boardman, thinking that there might be the odd puddle. I wasn't expecting rain until 2:30 - 3:00pmish. However ten minutes after I set off at about 11:30 it did start to rain very lightly, and it continued on and off for the rest of the ride.

Cold out there as well, but I wrapped up warm enough. Almost every other cyclist I saw today had tights and long sleeves on.

I'd intended to do 26 - a modest increase on my present maximum range - and I'd planned a Twycross route of more or less exactly that distance. However I realised a few minutes after I set off that I'd ignored my own plan. I set off along Heather Lane on autopilot, rather than out of the village toward Alton Hill.

So it fell to me to mentally extend the route by a couple of miles to make up for my mistake and contrive a distance of roughly 26 miles. I decided to take in Sibson, which extended the ride a bit. But when I reached the A444 I decided I'd head along Gibbet Lane - the road works were due to be complete, and I wanted to take a look.

And what a cracking job they've done. I have no idea why it was necessary, but there's a nice little wall on either side of the road over the stream now.

Before (pic courtesy of Google Street View):

After:

The consequence of taking in Gibbet Lane though rather than going through Bosworth was that, once again, I'd shortened by expected distance on completion. So after Shackerstone I decided to go through Burgoland and Swepstone, and from there do most of my old lunchtime route. I thought that would see me arriving home after 26 miles or so, but in fact as I pulled up at the garage, I'd done 28.60.

A bit of right knee pain kicked in after 16 miles, which is a definite improvement. The left one started to feel uncomfortable after 23. They both feel a bit hurty now but I'm sure they'll be fine in a day or two. I'm getting there.

Despite the rain I really enjoyed that one, despite my initial reluctance.

Blasted out the chain and derailleurs with GT-85 when I got back, but it was due a relube anyway.

I think I'm on course for at least one Fondo before the end of the year.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3179 on: September 22, 2018, 15:59:14 PM »

Number of rides done in current year on 22 Sept over the last four years:

2015 : 163
2016 : 230
2017 : 108
2018 : 75