Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 80570 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #3105 on: August 08, 2018, 21:48:41 PM »
New derailleur cable in, broken end of cable found and removed, shifter works :)
Went out for a spin tonight, front derailleur won't shift up to big chainring :( Can't find my 2mm hex key to try and adjust things :(:(
My little legs weren't half whizzing round going downhill tonight...
Tonight's 24 miles took me over 4,000 miles for the year :)

On a knee note, my right knee gives me awful pain if I have to walk more than about five miles. Touch wood, I have no problem when cycling.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 21:51:08 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3106 on: August 09, 2018, 21:40:38 PM »
Mrs S has now learned the arcane arts of getting a front derailleur to shift properly and has imparted the knowledge to me. The Shimano instructions now make sense of sorts. Pity the indexing on the rear cassette has now gone to pot. Plenty of phantom shifting when on the small chainring. I'll sort that this weekend.

Went out and did the same ride as last night, to see what difference using both chainrings makes. Assuming that the weather conditions were about the same and traffic levels about the same, I was 0.5 mph quicker tonight. Mostly gained on the downhill bits.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3107 on: August 10, 2018, 21:15:19 PM »
I told my physio this today when I saw her. After an examination she said she was convinced it was better than it was three weeks ago and told me to do ten miles on a bike with my knee strapped up. She thinks, and I am highly sceptical about this, that there's a possibility that it's partly psychological - a bit like an amputee who can still feel "phantom pain" in a part of the body that's been removed.
I got the Boardman out yesterday with a view to doing this and did a fairly flat, very local route but it started to rain after about 5 miles so I came straight back. But I strapped the knee up again today, got the Boardman out and obeyed physio's orders with a 10.8 mile fairly random, very level and again very local route.

Not quite sure what to think - I didn't experience any difficulties doing the ten miles. The legs do hurt a bit now - but I can still take the stairs two at a time, which I couldn't do a few weeks ago. I reckon I have a combination of injuries, one causing more superficial pain. Anyway my physio says that it should "settle down" in 24 hrs. I don't think it's a setback. So - fingers crossed, I'm making progress.

I'd love to do a Twycross tomorrow - just a short one, 21 miles in the warm sunshine. But I think it would be unwise.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to do that 200 miles I promised myself. I often think of the last few miles of the ride to Norfolk and back that I did a year ago. As I leaned against a lamppost in Peggs Green, taking a breather four miles from home, cold, weary and tired, my legs having propelled me 175 miles since 05:37 that morning  - I asked myself if I could do another 25 miles, to make it a round 200. It was just about the last thing I wanted and the prospect of doing another 4 was bad enough.

But I could have done it. A half hour break, a couple of gels and some food. I could have got 'er indoors to bring some warmer clothing out. I still had enough presence of mind to plan a reasonably painless 25 miles  from where I was. I didn't.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3108 on: August 11, 2018, 19:21:58 PM »
I admit I was tempted to do a few miles on the bike today, but I behaved. Instead I changed the cleats on my second pair of shoes, using my favoured strategy: Shimano for left, cheap copy for right. The washers and bolts were a bit rusty so I binned them and used the new ones. I always smear a bit of copper grease over the threads.

This is pretty much the only thing I use copper grease for and I expect that the tin I bought in 2015 would last me a few thousand years, at the present rate.

I also attached a new bottle cage mount to the front fork of the Cannondale - the idea being to use it for a dummy bottle container, to keep tools, spare batteries, cheese rolls, bike lock  or whatever in on a long ride. Might save taking a backpack. I'll probably end up taking it off again, but - y'know. It was a bit of retail therapy.

Knees feeling OK - a bit sore / tender but pretty robust. I feel pretty sanguine about them at the moment.

Went for a three mile walk this morning with the Android watch - it was on about 24% battery and interestingly, over the last mile or so the track as recorded by Strava consists of two long straight lines. It must have gone into some sort of power-saving mode where it records the position much less frequently.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3109 on: August 11, 2018, 19:41:25 PM »
After last week's ride out on many unfamiliar roads, today I just stuck to regularly used roads, never straying too far from home. Doing so I managed to rack up my longest ride of the year - 70 miles - and most climbing in one ride ever - 5,800 feet - although I used Strava's elevation correction feature to get that, it had been at 5,500 feet.
Started out with my right knee feeling a bit dodgy. Came back with my left knee feeling a bit dodgy. The left knee was down to a bad gear change - even though they're now nicely indexed - I had to stop at a junction and whilst I had clicked to go down a couple of gears they hadn't had chance to do so and when I started off it pulled at the old knee. What a plank.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1765400361
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3110 on: August 11, 2018, 23:54:27 PM »
Nick, I urge you - if either knee feels unexpectedly dodgy or you're getting knee pain from pushing off in a high gear - stop for a bit. Rest them.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3111 on: August 12, 2018, 14:18:09 PM »
Luckily, I was about half a mile from home on a flat bit of road. :)

And absolutely no knee problems at all today :)
Can't say that about the saddle sore :(
Can't say that about the weather :(
Can't say that about the rear shifter, it'll upshift but not downshift. Well, it will double downshift if you do it straight after an upshift. Luckliy that was only for the last five miles. I'll give it a good spray with GT85...

Apart from that it was an enjoyable 46 mile ride, taken in a low gear at highish cadence. Allegedly. Cadence came out no different to normal, but the legs feel quite fresh still.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1767799284/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 19:22:53 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3112 on: August 12, 2018, 22:03:43 PM »
By 7:30pm or so the roads had dried up and since I hadn't been out on two wheels yesterday, I decided to do 10 miles or so and exploit the last of the daylight. My legs had been feeling encouragingly robust today, so I decided to risk a 'normal' ride, ie not a flat / depressingly urban one. I went out through Coleorton, heading toward Rempstone Road.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. I disobeyed physio's orders by not strapping my knee up, but I wore my (admittedly less effective) tendon strap. The basic idea is to float your kneecap a bit to minimise trauma. I think it worked.

Lovely out there. Cool and tranquil.

Not long after Pegg's Green, after four miles or so, I decided to quit while I was ahead and turned back. The way back involved more climbing so I decided 8 miles would do. For some reason when I glanced at my watch at Coleorton it was asking me if I wanted to save or discard the route - I must have nudged the stop button somehow. So I opted for "save" and restarted it about 0.1 miles later. Consequently the track was uploaded in two parts to Strava. I added the .1 miles (checked with Google Maps) onto the spreadsheet.

Started to get a bit of knee soreness after about 6 miles and I can feel it now. But nothing sinister. It should "settle down" in 24 hrs like my physio said it would last time, and she was right.

Anyway - 8.24 miles, 42 this month. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do 15-20 miles of arbitrary elevation with impunity in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:05:06 AM by Slim »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3113 on: August 13, 2018, 21:05:05 PM »
Can't say that about the rear shifter, it'll upshift but not downshift. Well, it will double downshift if you do it straight after an upshift. Luckliy that was only for the last five miles. I'll give it a good spray with GT85...
And a good spray of GT85 leaves things the same...

Against Velominati rules, I had the bike upside down, then took off a cover on the shifters and sprayed plenty of GT85 all over the innards. It did seem to bring a bit of life back, the downshifter was downshifting a bit of it's own freewill, but always better after an upshift. Now? Nowt :(
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3114 on: August 14, 2018, 13:04:05 PM »
It sounds like a sticky or frayed cable to me.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3115 on: August 14, 2018, 16:58:36 PM »
Only jusy had a new cable in. It's possible a frayed bit of the old one is still hanging around inside, or it all needs taking out and putting back in again.
I'll use the winter bike for a bit, nights are too short for maintenance and a ride now.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3116 on: August 14, 2018, 20:31:55 PM »
A bit of knee soreness all day today, despite not riding yesterday. I didn't do my usual 2 or 3 miles of walking but I did decide to do 10 miles or so on the bike regardless. Nice evening. Cool, but not too cool for shorts. I rode out through Heather and Swepstone, most of the way to Snarestone, turning back the way I came after 5 miles. I took it very easy, with an average speed of 10.7mph.

The knee felt pretty good until 6 or 7 miles in, then it started to feel a little sore. Nothing sinister. But no cycling tomorrow.

Happy that I can at least get out for an enjoyable if short ride every couple of days.

52 miles this month.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3117 on: August 14, 2018, 21:23:42 PM »
Managed to get 25 miles in tonight, at a 19.6 mph average including my best on the Staveley 10 mile TT averaging the ever so not very impressive 21.5 mph. Remind me never to enter a TT there...
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3118 on: August 15, 2018, 19:35:10 PM »
The knee felt pretty good until 6 or 7 miles in, then it started to feel a little sore. Nothing sinister. But no cycling tomorrow.
In fact I did cycle today, possibly against my better judgement. Legs feeling pretty good so I thought I'd see how they coped with 10 miles on consecutive days.
I taped up my knee. Took the red Boardman, for nostalgia really. And off I went through Coleorton and Peggs Green. I intended to do 5 and come back the same way, but found myself descending Zion Hill, decided it wasn't a good idea to have to push back up it, and turned back after about 4 miles instead.
Sort of wish I hadn't done that as the knee does feel a bit tender now, but I think I've probably got away with it. Another 10 miles or so on Friday, I hope.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3119 on: August 15, 2018, 21:23:41 PM »
Went out and managed to avoid the rain tonight, headed the right way for once :)

Didn't head the right way by going through Barlow. Got stuck behind Castleton Silver Band playing "Stand up for Jesus" as part of their village Well Dressing Blessing procession. Ended up going up a road I've never been up before. Don't think I'll be going up it again.
Legend in my own Mind