Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 82087 times)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2970 on: May 18, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »
think you need a bike fit James
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2971 on: May 18, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
I don't think so .. just need a while to shake off the tendonitis. I'll go out on the Cannondale over the weekend and see if it makes a difference but I don't think it will do.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2972 on: May 19, 2018, 21:46:12 PM »
I needed a lie down after today's ride!
Being as in the Giro they were climbing the Zoncolan today - 10km @12% - I thought how can I get close to that? Answer I can't and don't want to, but, I did head out to Glossop and did the Snake Pass - 6km @ 6%.
First of all though I climbed the Snake Pass - from the Ladybower end - this is a nice climb with only the end 8% pitch being at all testing, in fact it's a nice climbs as there are downhill bits in it. As I passed Ladybower I was overtaken by a car with German plates on, I wonder if they knew of the significance of Ladybower? It's the Dambusters Fritz, the Dambusters!
I only managed to overtake one cyclist going up the Snake, but hey , it was an Overtake! On the descent, I saw a woman cyclist changing an inner tube, I thought I'd stop and help on the way back as it was near Glossop and I'd soon be turning back again. However she was just about to set off when I got back to her, so I couldn't be a knight in shining armour - and get a rest - Damn!
It's a complete slog up the Snake. most of it is more or less a constant 7% and that's the gradient at which my legs can only operate in grind mode, so no quick accelerations and no dancing on the pedals out of the saddle a la Contador.
When I reached the summit, I'd got a nosebleed - the height? - and I saw the bloke I'd overtaken on the way up just pushing his bike to the summit. Poor bloke.
The old legs were really moaning on the way back, in fact most of me could have been moaning on the way back, as I was nearly taken out by a Ewe and her lamb crossing the road. Dopey critters. There were plentiful crushed critters about today, mainly Pheasant, but a few Red Grouse up on the tops and a few Hare near the Snake Summit. There were also lots of disgusting spiky insects which shot straight down my gullet every time I took a drink. Arse.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1582518360/

I had intended posting pictures from today's ride, but, for the first time ever, I forgot my phone. Not an enjoyable thing to find at the top of Snake when 30 miles from home. Although from when I cycled up to the summit last year I seem to recall there was no phone signal anyway...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 21:50:23 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2973 on: May 19, 2018, 23:13:38 PM »
Lovely day, didn't want to risk a long one and it was a bit too hot anyway. But I thought I'd go out for 20 or so later on, and I did.

I bought yet another GPS watch recently, a Soleus GPS Fit. It was only a shade less than £30 for the pink version and has decent battery life, so I thought - why not. It had its debut today, and worked quite well. The only bummer is that you have to use a Windows app to upload your tracks but they go straight to Strava and it's almost painless. One nice thing is that it shows distance done on the same page as time of day, not all GPS watches do that.

Also making its debut outing, not counting the bike trainer - the second Boardman. I put clippy pedals on first. As I was doing so I noticed that although the saddle was about the right height, the handlebars were conspicuously lower than the Planet X, which it was leaning next to. I'd never noticed any particular discomfort on the trainer so I was interested to see how it would go on the road - and it was fine. I was surprised, because it has the same stem as the original Boardman came with, but I had to put a shorter one on that and raise it to get it comfy. Odd. I think I might put the original stem back on the X.

Generally speaking it feels about the same as the first Boardman, as you'd expect - the only difference, apart from modifications I've made, is the front fork which is carbon. I don't think it rides quite as positively as the first Boardman and I assume that's because the first one has upgraded Fulcrum wheels. Nice to know they do make a difference.

I chose a low-elevation route out toward Belton, a bit urban for the first mile or two. Took it very easy. Very nice run out. I was really surprised by the progress I seemed to be making according to the watch, and very surprised to have clocked up 30 on the last stretch home. Then I read the small print - "km". Must fix that.

The whole length of Top Brand, a notoriously crumbly and boneshaky road has been resurfaced. The upper mile or so has been done in the usual shoddy grey gravel method, but the most awful, crumbly and rattly part lower down has been redone in proper, smooth, luxurious tarmac. Joy!

Nearly offed two squirrels that were either copulating or co-operating very closely on something in the middle of Moor Lane.

19.75 miles and that's about what I intended, so I'm happy with that. I can feel the right knee a little but I think it's getting better. Going walking tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1582498304

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2974 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
Stupid Sunday...pedals were creaking so i decided to regrease the threads. I am sure i put the pedals in the right places when i took them off as i know they screw opposite ways, somehow i still managed to put the left one on wrong post greasing and as i knew i couldn't possible be wrong forced the pedal on and sheared all the screwthread in the crank arm. Now need a £59 new crank.

Idiot
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2975 on: May 21, 2018, 20:24:58 PM »
After my four mile walk yesterday my right knee feels a bit sore and knackered. Going to have to observe a two week cycling / unnecessary walking moratorium, or possibly longer.

I've also ordered a reusable gel ice pack from Amazon.

Really quite annoyed because I'd put a fair bit of work in on the trainer into getting fit enough to do a long one. But I hope if I take care of it I'll be ready to do the 200 miler before the long days run out.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2976 on: May 22, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
BIKE FIT!!!!!

Did a sportive around the Wrekin and the long mynd at the weekend. Lovely scenery, great climbs, but by Christ the roads were shit!

The new songs are an abomination

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2977 on: May 23, 2018, 21:37:41 PM »
After the last time I did Far Lane climb, I told Mrs S to belt with a frying pan if I ever thought of doing it again. She didn't. She said she can't read my thoughts. But, she's always telling me she can tell what I'm thinking...
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2978 on: May 25, 2018, 19:39:43 PM »
Bike was serviced by LBS primarily to fix my crank arm but I also took the opportunity to get a basic service and new bar tape. My previous bar tape was a thin velour type that I had worn down and looked shabby.  My new bar tape is a padded silicone type and what a difference, it absorbs much road shake it feels like I am driving some luxury vehicle. Combined with my recent saddle change the increased comfort factor has given me a massive boost.

Just need a Footman to get me off the bike at the end of a ride and I think I’m sorted.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2979 on: May 25, 2018, 20:22:42 PM »

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2980 on: May 25, 2018, 22:01:06 PM »
Just stick a steak down your shorts in place of a chamois. Good long ride and it's cooked nice and tender :)
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #2981 on: May 26, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »
BIKE FIT!!!!!

Did a sportive around the Wrekin and the long mynd at the weekend. Lovely scenery, great climbs, but by Christ the roads were shit!

That'll be Shropshire for you mate, especially in the south where we live.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2982 on: May 26, 2018, 14:01:34 PM »

That'll be Shropshire for you mate, especially in the south where we live.
HAVE A BLOODY HOLIDAY!!!!!!!

FWIW the roads in Derbyshire are nothing to write home about. I spend most of my rides thinking the tyres have gone flat and the ceaseless road chatter is doing my wrists in at the moment - honest!
It was a lovely day today, topping up tanlines wise anyway, because it suffered from a surfeit of wind. I wish we'd get a decent high pressure settled over us, at the moment it's bringing in too much of a North Easterly, which was especially pronounced as a side wind on the tops, I nearly got blown off - careful now - into the roadside gravel many a time today. It rather spoiled the descent into Dronfield too.

That makes it four Fondo length rides on the four Saturdays of May and gets me over 2,000 miles for the year and 42,309 feet is the most climbing I've ever done in a month, which probably explains why my average speed is down on last year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1597674177/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 19:02:47 PM by Nïckslïkk2112 »
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2983 on: May 27, 2018, 18:46:34 PM »
I about got things right today, riding out into the wind and coming back with it behind me. Really does make things a lot better. I also tried to pedal in a more relaxed manner and that appears to help to, I think I'm normally a bit too tense.
I didn't get the distance right though. Was aiming for 35 and ended up doing 45. Still, the legs aren't complaining, so I won't :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1600069805
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2984 on: May 28, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
One week into my cycling moratorium - of indefinite duration, but at least two weeks I think. I can still feel a bit of pain in the right knee. Went to London for a couple of days in the week. Walking around the city in the evenings and lunch breaks seems to have worsened it a bit.

But at least the weather's been encouragingly rubbish this bank holiday weekend.

I may switch the stem on the X for a longer, lower one later. I noticed yesterday while comparing bike geometries that the stem on the second Boardman is not the same one that was supplied with the first one - it's 20cm shorter. Interesting. Maybe it's not even the same size frame! But it is supposed to be.