Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 80292 times)

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2910 on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
Legs feeling a bit better this morning. Having done a bit of research I'm hopeful that it was muscular (quads). May be related to the seat / pedal position - the pedals are located a bit further back on the Planet X, so perhaps I'd have been OK on the Cannondale. Even though I was fine on the X for Norfolk and back, maybe I just didn't push as hard, or (more probably)  the hills were a bit worse.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2911 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
Different bike set ups, even minute ones, will make a difference. I notice it massively, especially in my wrists

Remember to keep taking the protein and recovery stuff after those rides James, it will help
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2912 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Well I did a 2.5 mile ride back from an MOT garage having strapped the first Boardman to the back of 'er indoors' Polo - legs a little bit achy but no knee pain. Maybe I'll do 20 or so after work.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2913 on: April 18, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
@slimmers

https://voguecycling.com/collections/short-sleeve-jerseys/products/camo-cycling-jersey-1

Arrived at the weekend - looks like it might be warm enough after work for its maiden spin.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2914 on: April 18, 2018, 13:26:22 PM »
suns out, guns out!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2915 on: April 18, 2018, 15:44:50 PM »
Just been outside - unbelievable. I think it may actually be too warm for cycling. I'll find out soon!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2916 on: April 18, 2018, 17:25:11 PM »
Just looked outside, I genuinely believe its the first time this year I have seen blue sky, or certainly more blue than white/grey/black

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2917 on: April 18, 2018, 20:58:10 PM »
Out in a short sleeved jersey and bib shorts tonight :)

It was a bit warm compared to what I'm used to, hopefully the weather will settle down and I can go out of an evening for a 45minute/hour blast. Managed my first 18+mph ride tonight. I feel shattered. Sweaty as a sweaty thing. Can tuck into a few Jaffa Cake bars though now :)
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2918 on: April 18, 2018, 23:28:37 PM »
I also ventured out in my new lightweight camo jersey and shorts, after work. The very day I've been looking forward to for months. What a joy. Mind you I won't be surprised if I'm back in several layers + tights or even overshoes before summer kicks in properly. I've seen it snow in May round these parts before.

I took the Cannondale on a Twycrosser. I've been sort of saving it for the 200 miler, not wanting to put any more wear on the gear cables, tyres etc. But I thought it was time for its first spin of 2018, and anyway I wanted to test the pedals that are now attached to it, that came with the second Boardman. And the new skewers (although there's not a lot to go wrong with a pair of skewers, is there?). The pedal in-out stiffness is set just right, and the skewers were fine.

And my god what a difference it makes - I don't know whether it's because it suits me better or if it's inherently a quicker bike but it feels so sharp, so agile - it really gives me a definite, non-marginal gain, even compared to the Planet X. This is not exactly a scientific assessment of course but intuitively, I reckon it would buy me an extra 11 or 12% of distance - in other words, for the effort that 50 miles on the Planet X would take, or about 45 miles on the Boardman, I could get about 56 miles out of the Cannondale on a typical route. I 'kin love this bike. I wanted to high five it when I got off it.

Beautiful weather, a light breeze but warm and sunny. Still some standing water just to the side of the roads.

I did start to feel a bit of discomfort in my knees after a few miles, but it never gave me any trouble as such. I never felt like I needed to get off and stop for a bit and apart from the knee discomfort my legs felt fairly strong.  I'm not going to do a long one for a while but I'm pleased to have done 20+ without any bother.

My GPS watch battery gave up the ghost after the first 22.7 miles:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1516854680

And I didn't have a phone with Strava on so I synthesised the last 4.41 miles when I got back:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1516962556

which of course has messed up my average speed / times on Strava slightly, but I only really care about the distances.

27.11 done which takes me to 273 this month, 1004 this year.

This was only the 26th ride of the year (compared with 40 this time in 2017), But I'm 137 miles ahead of where I was last year on 18 April (863 miles). Looking good for 5000 in 2018 as long as I haven't buggered my knees.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:16:28 AM by Slim »

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2919 on: April 19, 2018, 13:23:18 PM »
getting my CUBE fitted tonight. Interested to see how bad a job of it I did myself!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2920 on: April 19, 2018, 14:18:40 PM »
getting my CUBE fitted tonight. Interested to see how bad a job of it I did myself!

Where are you getting that done? Although I'm quite happy with the setup of all three of my bikes from a general riding comfort point of view, I probably ought to the Cannondale fitted for peace of mind on longer rides.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2921 on: April 19, 2018, 16:19:12 PM »
www.midlandbikefit.com

Mate of mine, there will be people closer to you I reckon though

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2922 on: April 19, 2018, 20:12:52 PM »
Full summer gear on tonight, 23 miles and the first sighting of a Swalllow this year. I was expecting it, one of the farmhouses on my usual route is Swallow and House Martin party central in the summer. As I turned the corner, in this unusual Spanish heat plume, I looked up and there (assumes Sir David Attenborough voice) was a single Swallow on a telephone wire, chapeau.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2923 on: April 19, 2018, 20:58:44 PM »
Anyone else fed up of "Summer" yet?
I think I saw a swallow fly across the road in front of me on Sunday. I saw one fly by the office window yesterday. I didn't see any birds tonight for all the sweat dripping into my eyes...
I'm surprised I only set one PR on Strava today, I thought I was giving it some hammer tonight. Obviously it must be the effects of old age :(
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2924 on: April 19, 2018, 22:08:04 PM »
I did see a bat this evening.

Maddening to pass a day like today without riding a bike after all the thoroughly shit weather so far this year. But I thought I'd rest the knees and, finally, sort out the gears on the hybrid. However after about an hour of fiddling with it on the stand in the garden, I still hadn't sorted it. Also quite maddening. It's not the limit screws, I'm sure of that. But I can't seem to set the tension so that it's loose enough to allow changing into the little cogs, but also tight enough to change into the big ones. It's either / or.

I will take the cable off and start from scratch tomorrow and if that doesn't work I will just put it on eBay sold as seen with a warning that the gears need attention.

Shame as it was a delightfully reliable and trouble-free bike until the gear cable snapped.