• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2019, 03:47:35 am

Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 11, 2013, 23:27:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

January 05, 2019, 17:42:30 pm #3315 Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 21:23:41 pm by Nïckslïkk2112
It was a cool day, but not too cold. A cloudy day, but not too dull, the sun threatened to threaten breaking through, but never did. Best of all it was an almost still day, an all too rare commodity these days.
Being as I've had a daft idea of doing a 100 miles of climbing this year, I thought I'd better head for the hills, so I headed out for the rarely tackled - by me - Loads Road, 1.75 miles at 7% average. I was hoping to set one of my three fastest times. But I failed. Miserably. Very miserably - especially as it was only the 5th time I'd done it. I blame the light breeze, as what bit there was increased with altitude and it was a head wind. Looking back at my records, I normally tackle it with a tail wind.
The other two climbs I tackled: Baslow Hill and Robin Hood Climb, are much more regular climbs so I wasn't expecting decent times, although I did my fastest Robin Hood ascent of my four attempts over Christmastide.
All in all I amassed 3,215 feet of climbing, which with my New Year's day ride takes me over 1% of 100 miles for the year. Maybe it is possible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2057670444

Over Christmastide, my weight has gone from 158 lbs to 163 lbs, definitely need to get some hill climbing in.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

My weight has climbed up to 179 pounds over Crimbo but I'm on a determined exercise regime - half a klick on the rowing machine every day that I don't cycle at least 12 miles. No alcohol for the foreseeable.

I think I may go metric for 2019. 2112 miles = 3340km.

Nïckslïkk2112

I'll aim to keep my weight where it is for the foreseeable future, don't seem to feel quite as jaded after a ride as when my weight was just a few pounds lower. Probably getting more carbs in at the moment.
'Twas a pleasant day today for early January, quite mild, not like a year ago when I came off on black ice! I even managed to break out into a sweat today, through exercise, not the sweat of terror following a close pass. After three close passes in a short space of time today, all by the same make of car, I started a rewrite of Jason Donovan's "Too Many Broken Hearts":

Too many stupid farts in this world,
Most of whom drive a Bee Emm Double You

The worst one today though was by an Audi, on a left hand bend with a pedestrian refuge in the middle of the road. All he had to so was wait five seconds, but no, he had to come by leaving less than a foot on my right hand side. He then drove off up the road two feet behind the car in front of him. Fart.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2060307201
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

Anyone signed up for sportives this year? Got a couple booked in , the No Excuses at Uttoxeter which you get your money back if you actually turn up, then the Bostin Chase and Bostin Diablo. The bostin sportives are brilliant
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

January 08, 2019, 18:39:07 pm #3319 Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 18:41:38 pm by Slim
Frustrating day at work, but when I glanced outside this afternoon I noticed that conditions were dry and sunny outside, so I took an elongated late lunch and did a shortish Twycrosser on the red Boardman, coming right through Twycross then back along Gibbet Lane rather than over to Sheepy.

Wrapped up warm but still haven't found the overshoes.

Knees felt a bit less aggravated than on Saturday. I don't take much comfort from that really but at least it's not bad news.

My GPS battery died after 7 miles, so on returning home, I looked for an activity in Strava that matched the ride distance (18.07 miles). The first one I found turned out to be the exact same route, done in November. So I exported it form Strava as a GPX, edited the file in a text editor to replace the datestamps (simple search & replace 2018-11-18 with 2019-01-08), changed the name and reuploaded it. I didn't bother with the timestamps but they're only a couple of hours out.

That's 60 this year. Speaking of which, I'm 60 myself next year. What a dismal thought.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2064605090

Getting dark by the time I got to Heather with two miles to go, quite some time after sunset. I only had an LED blinker on the handlebars. But I could just about make out the road in front of me.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Jonners on January 07, 2019, 09:48:27 am
Anyone signed up for sportives this year?

No.
Didn't do any last year.

I keep meaning to, then forgetting to enter - after finding out the amount of climbing involved...
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on January 08, 2019, 20:08:56 pm
No.
Didn't do any last year.

I keep meaning to, then forgetting to enter - after finding out the amount of climbing involved...

Best avoid the Diablo then, getting Zoony to listen to anything other than Rush would be easier than completing this one!
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Was quite pleased to find that my knees hadn't seemed to suffer any ill effects from the 18 miles they did yesterday - normally I'd expect a bit of enhanced soreness the next day - so, on noticing that the weather was quite pleasant again I took another late lunch and did a shortish Twycross on the Boardman. As much as anything I wanted to know how I'd cope with riding on consecutive days, because I haven't done that for months (just checked, since 15th August).

Similar route to yesterday, except that it cuts out the A444 and Gibbet Lane by a sort of short cut along Bilstone Rd, which is a nice, quiet little stretch.

Left a few minutes earlier than yesterday, didn't do as long a route and of course the sun set a minute or so later so I was back before it was too dark. And encouragingly, although I could certainly feel the trauma to my right knee, it was more comfortable than it was yesterday. Maybe the thing to do at this stage is keep working it regularly? I'm not taking too much encouragement though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2066847735

77 this year.

Nïckslïkk2112

That was hard work today. I'm sure the actual winds I encounter are a couple of magnitudes higher than what the Meteo Group (bloody foreigners) tell the BBC they are going to be.
I repeated - more or less - what I did last Saturday, and before leaving checked on Strava to see if anyone had been up the Loads Road climb. One bloke had in a time of 15m 38s, now my slowest time is a minute quicker than that so I thought I was in with a chance of setting the quickest time of the day. Wrong. I thought the bloke's name looked familiar, he holds the KOM for Loads Road at 8m 11s, so I don't feel too bad now for being three minutes slower than my previous worst time. When you got above about 700ft the wind was brutal, several times I unclipped my left foot in preparation for being blown off - ooohh, Matron! - and I gave severe contemplation to getting off and pushing, but I stuck at it.
Things weren't much better when it flattened out at the top as the wind was then a cross wind and many a time I found myself riding on the right hand side of the road. Not nice. All in all my average speed was 1mph down on last week, the wind never seems to give back what it takes away, although for a brief time I was accelerating uphill without pedalling!

That's 150 miles for the year, with 2 miles of climbing done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2073765442/
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Your observation about headwinds / tailwinds is right, I think. A tailwind of the same force won't compensate you completely for a headwind over the same distance.

DavidL

Tom the road bike out this morning  after using the MTB for the last couple of rides. Just over 30 miles on a fairly flat route. Despite the ominous colour of the sky, it stayed dry. Felt good and had little problems with the couple of short, steep climbs. I'm certain that even the minimum time spent on the mag trainer helps a lot (did 20 mins on Friday).
Bit windy out there and not too warm bu picked my clothing well and remained comfortable over the two hours. Bike went well , as always which is impressive considering the minimum maintenance given to it. I've noticed that Slim seems pretty diligent with chain cleaning/lubrication but I never have issues in that department. A slight spray of saBesto Ultra 2040 before each ride seems enough to keep the drivetrain smooth and quiet.

Nick

Wanted to get out this morning after having the lurgy for the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately couldn't get the chain to go down the cassette , only went from the big ring to halfway down the cassette despite me letting off the slack on the cable adjusters. Local bike shop next week I think, I hate gears and cables.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2019, 14:59:48 pm
Unfortunately couldn't get the chain to go down the cassette , only went from the big ring to halfway down the cassette despite me letting off the slack on the cable adjusters. Local bike shop next week I think, I hate gears and cables.

Spray it all with GT85 :)
Loosen off the cable completely and then the chain should drop down to the small sprocket, then clamp it tight again and retry things. Then loosen and tighten again to a different level of tightness. Repeat until you need a stiff drink.

Out into the wind again today. Opted to stay at low levels as it was supposed to be gusting up to 45mph. Didn't find it quite as bad as yesterday though, even though I was faced with a cross wind for most of the ride, it wasn't blowing me across the carriageway as much as yesterday. Although I was grateful that the A61 wasn't busy as I cycled towards Stretton as the wind was really coming down from the tops across the Amber Valley.

That's another 36 miles in the bag for the year, didn't do as much climbing as I'd liked, but today in the wind, even small bumps were like climbing the Stelvio.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2076256358
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

Took bike to LBS for new cables , feel like i've been knocked back in fitness by the flu and not getting out for weeks. Must try and make an effort this weekend once the bike is fixed, its going to hurt.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

So: I'm hoping to do 2112 miles this year, whether or not the state of my knees improves. Seems logical to split this up into monthly targets, and at the moment I have:

As you can see I'm trying to make allowances for the likelihood of decent weather and daylight by varying the targets a bit.

But of course this doesn't take account of changing circumstances. What if I do 170 miles this month, for example? I'll have to adjust the totals and really, I want to do this automatically, in a spreadsheet. It's easy enough to split up the remaining miles equally between the remaining months, but how to weight them for weather / daylight?

Well - I had the following idea.

Each month would be assigned a numeric weight. For example July might be 8, November 5. What that means is: in any calculation of monthly targets, November will be allocated 5/8 of whatever July is allocated.

To actually accomplish this I would take the sum of the weights for the remaining months, then divide it by each monthly weight to give a multiplier for each month. Multiply the remaining miles-to-do (from the beginning of the current month) by this number for each month and you have a set of monthly targets.

About to give it a go in Google Sheets.