Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 11, 2013, 23:27:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

Nice day today. Pity. Would have liked to have tested the mudguards again. Still, we can't have it all. A nice headwind though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2008759041
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Quote from: Nick on December 08, 2018, 18:57:28 pm

Have you considered an electric bike? Many different types of course but you could mix it up as you cycled along, legs on the flats and an electric assist for the hills.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd never do that. It would feel like a wheelchair. I'd just stick to 20-30 miles every now and then and feck my knees up with a fondo once in a while.

Nick

Quote from: Slim on December 14, 2018, 21:12:36 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd never do that. It would feel like a wheelchair. I'd just stick to 20-30 miles every now and then and feck my knees up with a fondo once in a while.

I think if you buy the pedalec type you have to keep pedalling and just get and assist, rather than a full electric legs on the handlebars type. Might just take the edge of the knee pressure..my local bike shop says all the sales are electric bike these days.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Was thinking about a brief run out on two wheels on Christmas Eve, then I remembered I was working on the 24th. The forecast is for rain anyway although it's still 8 days away, so who knows.

Shame, because I had a really nice 40+ mile run out last Christmas Eve, visiting parts south of Bosworth that I'd never been to before (or since). Would have had no idea where I was without Google Maps. Nice little adventure.

22 days now since I've pedalled a bike. The weather's actually rather nice today disregarding the temperature (though even that is a few degrees better than yesterday) and I must admit I'm tempted. Next weekend looks awful weather-wise. But the right knee especially is feeling a bit better than it has done for a few weeks so I should probably leave it for a bit.

I need to think of a way to exercise that doesn't involve using my knees, and isn't boring.

Nïckslïkk2112

I didn't obey rule #5 yesterday. Mrs S has enough on her plate, without having to worry about me coming a cropper in potential freezing rain with its concomitant black ice. I think the rain would have been too cold for me, even though it wasn't freezing rain. Discretion is the better part of valour.
It was nice enough to get out today though, cold enough for the deep winter gloves, but nice enough. Nice enough to do 40 miles which gets me over 6,000 miles for the year with 392,375 feet of climbing. I don't have to worry about bad weather stopping me getting the 6,000 miles in, but it would be nice to get over 400,000 feet of climbing done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2020428415/
Legend in my own Mind

Jonners

Morning All

Been a bit quiet recently. Just a bit of news, Dad passed away last Monday (10th)

Think most of you knew he had Motor Neurone Disease, what i didnt share until now was that his wish was when things got too bad we would visit the Dignitas Clinic in Switzerland, and end things on his own terms. So, we made the trip last weekend, and he passed away a week ago at 9:30am UK time.

Towards the end things had got pretty bad, he was a total quadraplegic, and mum and I were struggling even with home help/care, so to be fair it was a blessing for all, he was in a terrible state!

Amazed we got there to be fair, but everyone on Swiss Air/Airports/Switzerland were brilliant.

So, thats my news. Glad he is at peace. Mother is a mess, but we will get through.

Ride carefully guys, its horrible out there, and there is more to life than miles.
The new songs are an abomination

Nick

Sorry to hear that Jonners, its a shame we don't have Dignitas in the UK and hopefully one day we will.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Bllody Hell Jonners. I know when we last met you said it's what your Dad wanted, but at least he's at peace now. Still "glad" that my mum only lasted a week after her MND diagnosis, so we were spared any long term suffering. Not the best time of year for it either.

Personally, I have reservations about Dignitas and especially Benelux style euthanasia laws. Odd, being as I's willingly give a lethal injection to 99.99% of people I come across, but that's the paradox of me.

There may be more to life than miles, but I'll keep on racking them up when the weather permits. It helps me not remember.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Hardly know what to say Jonners. Love and best wishes.

DavidL

Sorry to hear that news, Jonners. Condolences to you and your family.

döm

Sorry for your loss  Jonners
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

zoony

Jonners, I know we very rarely agree on anything, but please accept my condolences for the loss of your dad.

captainkurtz

What everyone else say, Jonners. 

Brave decision by your Dad and a selfless one too.  It's a difficult, all encompassing thing looking after and caring for aging parents...
Anger is a gift.

Straight Shooter

So sorry to learn of your family's loss Jonners. Big hug to all.
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Bisto

Heartbreaking. So sorry for your loss Jonners

Good on you all for supporting him through it and seeing it through to the end, that takes a lot of courage.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.