Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 87584 times)

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
  • We are all made of stars.
    • My blog
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Nite mountain biking to the fore ATM - Guisburn forest yesterday. Love night riding but blimey the, err, obstacles come at you a bit quick. Really exhilarating stuff.  Hamsterly next week.
Why isn't there a sarcasm font?

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Decided I am crap at changing tyres/inner tubes

Punctured 2 new ones while getting my winter bike ready and serviced. There must be a knack, but im buggered if I know what it is
The new songs are an abomination

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Decided I am crap at changing tyres/inner tubes

Punctured 2 new ones while getting my winter bike ready and serviced. There must be a knack, but im buggered if I know what it is
Top Tip: Put a tiny bit of air in the tube before you put it in the tyre to get it back on. I've found this lifts it away from the rim and stops you pinch puncturing with the levers.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 16:06:19 PM »
will try.

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 19:39:21 PM »
Top Tip: Put a tiny bit of air in the tube before you put it in the tyre to get it back on. I've found this lifts it away from the rim and stops you pinch puncturing with the levers.

Not a big fan of levers other than taking the tyre off ,I've found that over the years fingers and thumbs do a better job, it's usually just the last inch or so of getting the wire over the rim that should require a lever and even then if the tyre is warm it should slip on without too much difficulty ..

Fishy

• TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 20:52:45 PM »
I use spoons
From the Land of Honest Men.

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
Not a big fan of levers other than taking the tyre off ,I've found that over the years fingers and thumbs do a better job, it's usually just the last inch or so of getting the wire over the rim that should require a lever and even then if the tyre is warm it should slip on without too much difficulty ..
Depends on the tyre. Usually you are right but some are very tight. Levers are fine for that last bit if you are careful. Or/and have some air in the tube.

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Great evening ride at Hamsterley Forest. Stunning conditions: moonlit climbs without lights and loads of great technical descending on the trails (with lights  8) ). Amazing snack stop at the "stone circle" at the top in the moonlight: stunning forestry panorama without a breath of wind. Way late - we didn't finish riding until after 11 - and home about 2AM.  LOVE night riding.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:41:58 AM by Andy42g »

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
I use spoons
If you are serious (?) these wreck rims very quickly. Metal against metal under pressure is not good.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
all sorted, the air trick worked nicely, and did most without levers. Conti Gatorskins are very stiff tyres though

Planet X bike away now for winter, Decathlon Aluminium warhorse back out, running surprisingly well, although it does have nice wheels. Seems massive though, obviously a different size, and the handlebars seem ludicrously high

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
not sure I want to ride my bike ever again after yesterday, Wiggle Circuit Breaker Sportive starting at Silverstone, 50mph winds, driving rain, 89 miles of unpleasentness. Missed the gold medal time by 10 minutes, so probably could have made it, but not sure I had much left in the tank at the end

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 13:27:17 PM »
89 miles of unpleasentness....
:-\ Still - you did it.  :)

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 14:03:05 PM »
just....
Very very few gold medal times in the epic distance as opposed to normal, really split the men from the boys, and unfortunately I wasn't quite up to it. In all fairness Im not the ideal physique for road biking anyway, and certainly wasn't scything through the head on 50mph winds yesterday.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 14:05:04 PM by Jonners »

Andy42g

• TNMS Member
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 22:35:08 PM »
just....
Very very few gold medal times in the epic distance as opposed to normal, really split the men from the boys, and unfortunately I wasn't quite up to it. In all fairness Im not the ideal physique for road biking anyway, and certainly wasn't scything through the head on 50mph winds yesterday.
Have to say I'd probably have not bothered! I love my biking and am quite prepared to suffer for it - going too far too fast usually - but in really crap weather it's just unpleasant and not for me. Having said that have done some mountain biking in appalling conditions and thoroughly enjoyed it.  My expectations are obviosly rather different for the two disciplines!

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 14:26:00 PM »
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...