Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 80278 times)

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2940 on: April 30, 2018, 16:00:18 PM »
Blimey Jonners, i would consider 19mph blistering over 75 miles, was it all down hill?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2941 on: April 30, 2018, 20:41:21 PM »
Aye I can only just average 18mph on an hour's ride!

Well, summer bike season will start in earnest now. Sealant levels in tyres check out OK. Winter bike will have to be put on the back burner, tried putting new disc brake pads in today, but can't get front wheel off. Quick release skewer washer appears to be rusted on to the frame. Obviously not been spraying enough GT85 on >:(
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2942 on: April 30, 2018, 22:59:55 PM »
I wouldn't think of doing an average of 15mph over an hour. Where's the fun?

Anyway rather nice weather today so I took the Cannondale out for a run in the late afternoon sunshine. A pretty standard longish Twycross, up to Ashby at the top and along Fenn Lanes, passing England's centre of gravity, at the bottom. I was a bit too warm after the first couple of miles, but felt a bit too chilly over the last few so I probably got the clothing strategy about right. A bit windy, but not troublingly so.

I know I bang on about it but I love this bike. It's just so sharp and quick, and it goes along as if it's on rails.

The battery in my usual short-distance GPS watch seems to be on the way out again, so I took the cheap Canmore GPS gadget I bought off Amazon last year. The screen is small and not very readable but it works a treat and a recharge lasts a good few hours. Very small and light as well. I fix it to the handlebars with a rubber band. The only bummer is that Strava sometimes complains about the files that come off it, and I have to convert them at gpsies.com.

A few weeks ago I saw a pic of some famous Italian road cyclist with his pink Cannondale, and I experienced pink frame envy. It wouldn't really be practical to have my frame resprayed, but what I have done - as a sort of token homage - is to get some pink handlebar end plugs, and they made their debut appearance this afternoon.

Passed the Alpaca farm north of Bosworth as usual, but this time one of the Alpacas had come right up to the fence near the road. I stopped to take a pic of it, talking to it in an encouraging and friendly way so it wouldn't back off before I got the phone out, but it did. I took a pic anyway.

A few miles further on and about three from home, I noticed smoke billowing from a field in the farm at the other side of Heather, just before sunset. Made for quite a nice pic.

I was feeling my right knee the whole way round and it did start to feel sore on the last couple of miles. I think it must be a slight inflammation of the joint. Annoying with the long days and more frequent decent weather upon us, but I suppose I'll have to cease and desist for a while. Maybe Ibuprofen or something might help.

Anyway, squeezed in a last 36.81 miles into the April campaign and had a nice run out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1541532577

That's 473 for the month, 1204 this year.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2943 on: May 01, 2018, 15:59:03 PM »
Blimey Jonners, i would consider 19mph blistering over 75 miles, was it all down hill?

Got in a good group, 5 of us taking turns. makes a huge difference
The new songs are an abomination

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2945 on: May 02, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
can we assume their bike share scheme is not working awfully well then?

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2946 on: May 02, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
I find that astonishing.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2947 on: May 02, 2018, 14:31:48 PM »
someone should export them to Africa, where at least they will be used and appreciated!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2948 on: May 03, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
Bloody hell! Just had my race number and start time for the Tour of Cambridge. less than a month away! How has that come round so fast, literally only just started riding outside in the last week!!!!

Dont feel even remotely ready, although to be fair this time last year I had a fractured elbow, concussion and a haematoma the size of a rugby ball on my hip, so I am probably better prepared!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2949 on: May 04, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
The slight soreness in my knees seems to be subsiding a bit. It looks like I picked it up from a combination of riding with the seat slughtly too low (now adjusted on that bike) and doing a long distance in tights, which I understand can put a bit of extra strain on the tendons.

I also understand that "low intensity cycling" can help you to recover, so I'll be doing some of that over the weekend.

I set up a JustGiving page for my 200 miler later this year, at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/twohundred

I'm doing it for the challenge really, and the fun of it. But if I can raise a bit of cash for Breast Cancer Care as well and make a bit of an event of it, it's all good.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2950 on: May 04, 2018, 17:25:20 PM »
i have sponsored

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2951 on: May 05, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »
I saw that Jonners, thanks very much for your generosity.

Beautiful day out there. It's just crying out for a run out to Northampton and back but I'm not sure that would be wise.

I did go out for a brief "low intensity" ride after work yesterday but I had a British Sea Power gig to go to in Nottingham and only did a bit less than 9 miles. Once upon a time my idea of going for a ride on my bike was to do 7 or 8 miles but the median figure for this year so far is 29.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550191039

This was the first time I'd been out on the X since I raised the saddle 3 or 4mm. I also moved it back a bit. It definitely feels more comfortable a bit further back but for the first couple of miles until I got used to it, the additional height made it feel a bit like ..

.. surprising how subtle changes can make a big difference.

Anyway - that's the May campaign off to a slow and rather insubstantial start; 8.96 miles.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #2952 on: May 05, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
I saw that Jonners, thanks very much for your generosity.

Beautiful day out there. It's just crying out for a run out to Northampton and back but I'm not sure that would be wise.

I did go out for a brief "low intensity" ride after work yesterday but I had a British Sea Power gig to go to in Nottingham and only did a bit less than 9 miles. Once upon a time my idea of going for a ride on my bike was to do 7 or 8 miles but the median figure for this year so far is 29.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550191039

This was the first time I'd been out on the X since I raised the saddle 3 or 4mm. I also moved it back a bit. It definitely feels more comfortable a bit further back but for the first couple of miles until I got used to it, the additional height made it feel a bit like ..

.. surprising how subtle changes can make a big difference.

Anyway - that's the May campaign off to a slow and rather insubstantial start; 8.96 miles.
I'm wincing at the thought of one or more of those welds giving way. Ouch!

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2953 on: May 05, 2018, 17:25:06 PM »
Beautiful sunny day. Went out in the morning while it was still cool, for a hopefully recuperative bout of "low intensity cycling". Perfect day for idling along country lanes at a low speed. I extracted the X from the garage for this task.

I set off with the intention of trying a road that I've always avoided in the past, in the hope that it might prove suitable for an excursion with the better half tomorrow. It turned out to be a bit muddy and dusty in places but well worth it for the tranquility, especially in this weather.

I followed it all the way to Shackerstone, from where I did a sort of Reverse Twycross, going along Gibbet Lane through Sheepy, Sibson and Ratcliffe Culey.

Was quite annoyed that a short stretch of road near Snarestone, an unavoidable part of my favourite route, is now covered in sharp, grey gravel. I could literally feel it spattering against my legs as I rode over it, as slowly as possible. I believe the strategy is just to leave it there and let passing vehicles flatten it over time. F'n annoying.

Stopped at the Alpaca Farm tearoom near there. Idyllic spot for a cycling rest stop on a sunny day; you can just park your bike against the fence, plonk yourself  down at a table and wait for one of the cuties to come and take your order. Not that useful to me really since it's only five miles from home, but on this occasion I thought I'd stop for lunch. Very pleasant indeed.

A glorious 29.96. Not sure if I've really helped my knees to recover but I don't seem to have done them any harm.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550970985

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2954 on: May 05, 2018, 19:02:27 PM »
Managed to get out and tick off my May Fondo today. I'm not used to this warmth! I was dripping with sweat after about three miles, but hey, just think of the tan lines!
Took a roundabout way out to the Peaks today, being as most of the shorter ways out have roadworks on them right on short sharp hills and I hate being caught on red lights at them. Pisses the motorists off even more when they're stuck behind a cyclist at traffic lights and the bastards always try and come by you straight away too >:(
On the climb up from Monsal Head, I was passed by a chick! But I don't mind, she was about half my age and if she wants to risk heat death by racing uphill then that's her problem. I was more wishing I'd got my winter bike for its Granny Gear!
Coming back along Beeley Moor, I got SYLs Satan's Ice Cream Truck going through my head and shortly after I was passed by a Frederick's Ice Cream Van, spooky, eh? Not that the Fredericks family are Satanists. Catholic I think. Nearly got taken out by a car on Beeley Moor too, he'd decided to overtake a cyclist coming the other way notwithstanding the fact that that meant he was now heading straight for me. Thank goodness for brakes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1551658075
Legend in my own Mind