Author Topic: Cycling - 2  (Read 80287 times)

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
Re: Cycling - 2
« Reply #2925 on: April 20, 2018, 18:54:55 PM »
Take it to a bike mech they will be able to find the fault and be able to rectify it for you ,shouldn't be too expensive ..
I've had the road bike in too get it's forks changed out and took the beast out last night for a spin ,all is well except for a slight wheel buckle which is most likely a loose spoke ..

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #2926 on: April 21, 2018, 15:47:59 PM »
To be honest it's my fifth-favourite bike, I probably shouldn't have more than three and it probably isn't worth getting it fixed professionally if there's actually something wrong with it. I have a theory that there's not enough cable length deployed for the shifter to do its thing through all the gears and I'll have another go when I can be bothered.

I got up unusually early this morning. I haidn't really intended to and wasn't thinking of doing a long ride today. I was just wide awake at dawn. So I rolled out of bed, had breakfast and set off on the Cannondale, without a firm idea of what I was going to do. I set off through Donington le Heath thinking of going to Bagworth and from there maybe going down through Desford, but I took the wrong turn at Donny and ended up travelling in the direction of Ibstock. From there I went through Heather and Swepstone, and decided to do a Twycrosser; a longish version taking in Fenn Lanes at the bottom. Stopped at my favourite bench at Sutton Cheney for a breather and a snack, then on to Bosworth as usual.

From there I turned around and headed east toward Newbold Verdon, rather than coming up through the villages north of Bosworth. I intended to come back through Bagworth and Ellistown to expand my ride a bit. But again, I took the wrong turn for Bagworth. I just don't seem to be able to go there today.

Back through Barton and Odstone. Rather than coming back through Heather I looped over toward Measham and came back along Alton Hill.

45.91, 320 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1521745497

I loved that one, beautiful out there today and a nicely random adventure. I was a bit cold for the first hour, even with two long-sleeved layers on. Slightly too warm later on, but only for the last 20 minutes.

Encountered lots of other cyclists today, mostly in large groups, presumably taking part in club events. Almost like Zwift.

One of my occasional rest stops along Fenn Lanes has been ruined by a fly tipper. It's an entrance to a farm gate off the road, with a concrete trough stretched in front of it full of soil and with rough grass growing out of it. A bit like a massive, brutalist window box, but it makes a decent ad-hoc bench when it's dry. I don't use it often because there are two very serviceable actual benches at Sutton Cheney a couple of miles further along. But anyway it's now obscured by a mattress, some plastic piping, bits of old window frame and a load of building materials. Disgusting.

I did feel my knees a bit but never felt uncomfortable or that they would give me any trouble. I'm hopeful they'll have recovered completely in another week as long as I don't overdo it.

Normally I find that a Lucozade Sport bottle, despite being narrower than a bidon, will stay securely in a bottle cage for dozens of miles if necessary, but this isn't the case on the Cannondale, apparently. My Lucozade bottle shook itself out near Sibson. It did stay put for the rest of the ride once I'd relocated it, but clearly I need to remember to take the proper container for fluids when out on my best bike.

My DAB batteries died after two hours and fifty-two minutes having done a grand total of over fifteen hours. I'm quite amazed by this. Three Tesco alkaline AAAs. I wouldn't have expected the more expensive lithium batteries to last that long. The lithium ones do have the advantage of being slightly lighter, though.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #2927 on: April 21, 2018, 19:15:16 PM »
I thought today would be a good day for a Fondo. And so it was, I managed to just get in enough distance to succeed. Good. I don't think I could have gone much further...
I went out for a bit of a hilly ride in the Peaks. Probably too hilly for my feeble legs, but I survived, despite a couple of contretemps on the way. The first was with a tattooed beardy bald bloke on Owler Bar roundabout. It's the world's longest, thinnest roundabout and I wanted to get off at the far exit, so I positioned myself in the right hand lane to make it obvious what my intentions were. This is when Mr Angry - who'd appeared from nowhere - started pipping at me, he then drew alongside me in the left hand lane and started berating me for holding him up. I told him that I was doing now wrong and that maybe he should use the Highway Code as bedtime reading. He then swore at me and drove off gesticulating. Nice bloke.
Contretemps two, was heading up hill in Bradwell Dale, a Tractor behind me was unable to pass me - shame - and cars coming the other way had stopped to let him by, the only trouble was I didn't stop to let him by. Well, excuse me, but I'm not stopping and unclipping on a narrow 10% hill. Then when he did go past me, the first thing he did - after shouting and swearing at me - was to turn off into a field to spread his load of muck. Pardon me for holding him up for 30 seconds!
I then meandered my way across country to Chatsworth, then did the Beeley Hill climb. It was hard work today after 45 miles. A cyclist came by me near the top and thanked me for being a good target to aim for. I told him he sets his sights low.
I think my new cycling shoes might need an orthotic insole, my right foot - which has a fallen arch - is really giving me some pain now, I used to get this with ski boots because when you tighten things my foot just keeps getting flatter and flatter. I'll have to see if I can find my old ski boot inserts.
Plenty of Swallows about today, mainly singly, but a little posse were in Great Hucklow and there were the usual Curlew, Skylark and lapwing up top.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522874712
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2928 on: April 22, 2018, 18:47:16 PM »
After all yesterday's uphill work, my legs were feeling a little bit leaden, so to cheer them up I let them take out the Summer bike for its first spin of the year. Now I really want to check the levels of sealant in the tubeless tyres but being as it hasn't been ridden much and being as last but one time I pumped them up there was an escape of sealant I thought I'd risk it.
Can't say as a lightweight carbon bike made much difference, but it was quite blowy out today and I kept having great trouble clipping my left shoe in. Must loosen the tension on the pedal methinks, it was taking up to a mile at times to get clipped back in which ain't much fun.
At least I managed to get in a few never before travelled roads before, or at least never travelled in the way I'd done today. I wish I'd not done one though as it's an awful lot steeper going up than down.
The legs whilst not feeling that good on the way out felt great as soon as I got off the bike and no problems with foot ache today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1525352979
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2929 on: April 22, 2018, 18:56:23 PM »
Another nice day with no rain forecast. I withdrew the Cannondale from the garage once again, and pointed it eastward. I thought it might be rather nice to have a coffee and a sandwich at Costa Coffee in Melton Mowbray, a location I've cycled to or through a few times in the past.

Lightweight clothing on again and what unalloyed bliss to be gliding along Ashby Road on a decently surfaced road in the sun, on my most agile bike. Over the Soar into Nottinghamshire, through Rempstone and Wymeswold, along the hilly bit near Asfordby then into Melton where I hung a right into the pedestrianised area of the town centre (I didn't bother to get off the bike) and cabled the bike to a lamppost just outside Costa. I ordered an Americano, a salad sandwich and a bakewell tart and consumed them at a table outside, in warm sunshine. What an absolute joy.

My Garmin Foretrex gave a low battery warning on the approach to Melton so when I got to Costa I switched it off, clogged over to Boots and bought 4 AAAs. I replaced the two dead ones while drinking my coffee. So convenient, and that's why I bought it. It just picks up where you left it when you switch it on, recording the same track.

I had actually brought my Shimano cleat covers with me, but I just clogged around in bare cleats. I must stop doing one or the other.

So after a delightful half hour relaxing in the sun outside Costa, I set off again. My legs and knees were holding up pretty well - I can still feel them, but they didn't give me any trouble - so rather than heading straight back I thought I'd continue on for a couple of miles before heading back. I vaguely remembered taking the B676 east out of Melton on a previous ride - probably the Norfolk trip - so I did that. After about three miles I saw a left turn to a place called Freeby - and I thought - why not? Who can resist a Freeby, after all. But after about a mile, after turning into the village proper,  the road seemed to degenerate into the sort of narrow, bumpy, gravel-spattered path that you don't really want to take a road bike along. So I didn't. I turned round and headed for home the same way. Nice little village though, very quiet.

Annoyingly, after Asfordby on the way back at the 40 mile mark, conditions darkened, the temperature dropped and shortly after that, it started to rain lightly. I was plagued by occasional light rain for the next ten miles but once back over into Leicestershire, the rain dried up, the sky brightened up nicely and I was back in warm, fine weather. I stopped at a bench near Belton. I sat carefully, because it had nettles growing up through it.

The last 15 miles coming back from Rempstone usually seem a bit of a chore - I particularly dislike the first five of them, for some reason. But today it didn't seem a grind at all, I was still in high spirits and enjoying myself, even with a headwind to contend with. I even briefly considered staying out for another 35 to make it 100, perhaps by adding on a Twycrosser. I seemed to have plenty of energy and mojo left, probably as a result of having a relaxing refuelling stop at Melton.

No interesting wildlife, just a few dead badgers by the side of the road. I saw a pheasant legging it across the road in the path of an oncoming Land Rover near Wymeswold, but it took flight just before being thwacked and escaped death by about an inch.

Once again I could feel my knee joints a bit but they never threatened to give me any trouble. Encouraged to have done 65 without any bother. My quads started to complain slightly over the last 20 miles or so but I'm not bothered about that. Just means I'm toughening them up.

64.98 and that's an acceptable 385 this month. A bit more during the week, I hope.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1525026984
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 19:00:21 PM by Slim »

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2930 on: April 22, 2018, 21:41:00 PM »
Just 60kms this weekend over the 2 days. Finding it a bit of a struggle as I recover from the chest infection. Still felt good to be out and hopefully the more I get out the easier I'll find it.  Aiming to get out for one or 2 evenings for an hour this week.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2931 on: April 22, 2018, 21:46:06 PM »
and hopefully the more I get out the easier I'll find it. 
It doesn't get easier, you just get faster - Greg Lemond
Legend in my own Mind

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2932 on: April 22, 2018, 22:07:12 PM »
It doesn't get easier, you just get faster - Greg Lemond

He definitely has a point. It's annoying though when you travel along a stretch you barely noticed was an incline before becoming an uphill struggle
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2933 on: April 23, 2018, 17:27:10 PM »
Did an impromtu 80 miler on Saturday, ended up in Leicestersire, had a poo behind a bush in Market Bosworth, and ran out food and drink in Staffordshire. Also realised I had Auto Pause switched off, which put a dent in my pace as well

Did it as a bit of prep for the Bostin Chase ride this weekend. Decided drinking 4 bottles of Ale, 6 double gin and tonics and a very hot curry are not the best prep for a long ride.

You live and learn.....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522002534

The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2934 on: April 23, 2018, 20:33:05 PM »
You did a stretch of one of my oft-travelled routes there, down past Swepstone and through Burgoland, Odstone, Barton and Bosworth. I hope the curry washed down with beers and gin & tonics wasn't your breakfast!

Went out after work, thinking of doing 30 miles or so. Set off on a Twycrosser, on the Planet X.  But by the time I was approaching Twycross I'd decided that I wasn't having that much fun in the gloomily overcast, cold and blowy conditions - so I decided to keep it short and turned down the A444 to come back along Gibbet Lane. Shortly after this it started raining, as if to validate my decision. I was slightly annoyed, as up until now I'd managed to keep the X out of wet weather, but I found that I wasn't that bothered. And by the time I'd got to Shackerstone, the rain had stopped completely and the ground was dry.

Ironically by the time I reached Heather I had actually started to enjoy myself, but I came back anyway.

The bike seemed completely dry by the time I got it back in the garage so I didn't bother assaulting it with GT-85 in my usual neurotic fashion.

21.40, 406 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1527452750

I wonder if my knees are perhaps coming up a bit too high on the X? If the saddle has maybe slipped a few mm that could possibly explain the pain I got after 100 miles 9 days ago. Having said that - my legs do seem fairly well extended on the down stroke, but I'll try raising the seat post a touch anyway. Or compare with one of the other bikes first, maybe.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2935 on: April 28, 2018, 18:57:45 PM »
Well, that was a wet one! Despite the forecast only being for light rain. OK, it was only light rain, but it got everywhere! Luckily it did dry up - weatherwise - as the ride went on, but the roads were still like rivers in places. The puddles also make pothole slaloming a lot more fun. Is it just a shallow puddle you can ride through, or is it hiding a bike breaker pothole?
I was going to go out and ride up a new hill today, but the conditions put me off. It would have meant riding up into a North Easterly and after a good helping of red wine and whisky last night I wimped out. It seems as if most people wimped out today. Normally on the bit of road out of Hathersage past the Fox House pub there's a constant procession of cyclists on a Saturday afternoon, not one today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1537242589
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2936 on: April 29, 2018, 17:21:54 PM »
It seems as if most people wimped out today. Normally on the bit of road out of Hathersage past the Fox House pub there's a constant procession of cyclists on a Saturday afternoon, not one today.

I certainly did wimp out of cycling activities yesterday due to atrocious weather unless you count installing two bike hooks to newly drilled holes in a beam in the garage, but today's forecast was dry. Not exactly warm, though. I enjoyed the summer but apparently the time has come round again to go out in winter clothing. I was comfortable enough, but was wearing several layers on top, and tights.

I retrieved the Boardman from the hooks in the garage where it now lives upside down, like a red, two-wheeled bat. I was thinking that the roads might be a bit wet but apart from a few eminently avoidable puddles, they weren't.

Set off intending to do a Twycrosser but as I approached the turn off for Measham Road I had the idea of doing the run out to Tamworth and back that I'd started a few weeks ago, only to give up due to traffic. So I continued on through Measham. Once through the town though I saw that I had a long, steep descent in front of me. I didn't fancy climbing that one on the way back (and I've done it a couple of times, not a lot of fun) so I changed my mind and took a left turn to join the Twycross route again.

From that point I did a fairly usual Twycross run, down through Sheepy and Ratcliffe, coming back through Sibson, Bosworth, Barton, Odstone and Heather as per.

My GPS battery died with a mile to go so I have once again synthesised the last mile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1539082794

https://www.strava.com/activities/1539132096

Only 30.18 miles, but I was on call, and still feeling a slight twinge in the right knee. It didn't give me any trouble, though. Quite enjoyable despite being a bit cold.

436 this month, 1167 this year.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2937 on: April 29, 2018, 18:49:23 PM »
Didn't enjoy that today. Not that I really enjoy it that much anyway, not that I really enjoy anything. But today just seemed like hard work going uphill. Whether that because it was quite blowy out there today, or whether I just wasn't sitting right in the saddle, or whether it was because I'd spent the morning Lumberjacking at my dad's I don't know.
It got another 40 miles done and it got me away from mowing the lawn, so maybe things weren't too bad. I had thought of taking the summer bike out again, but was worried about the possibility of plentiful puddles but like Slim I found the roads mostly dry and mud free.
That was 484 miles for April, 93 miles down on last year and at an average speed 0.5mph slower, but mile for mile I'd done more climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1539529588
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #2938 on: April 29, 2018, 19:26:09 PM »
Out today, felt really good after a week off, no leg pain, power on demand, clean breathing.. felt like I was smashing segment times. The data showed this not to be the case, nevermind.
One Heron in flight was the only bird of interest, plenty of female pheasants but no males to be seen.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #2939 on: April 30, 2018, 13:04:38 PM »
Nice ride yesterday in the Bostin Chase Sportive

Lovely route (although I do fear for the roads of the UK in the next few years)

Pace not blistering but decent, 19mph over 75 miles. Best moment of the ride going over the road across Blythfield Reservoir, one of those genuinely pleasurable cycling moments in life
The new songs are an abomination