Cycling - 2

Started by Dixkot, May 11, 2013, 23:27:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nïckslïkk2112

I was going to take my bike out for a slightly belated second birthday spin. But I've felt lousy all day. Just started to pick up a bit though and the rain starts. I think tomorrow might be a day of manning up...
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

I think you should rest up, keep warm and recover completely Nick, tomorrow looks like a properly cold and wet day and you'll only make yourself feel worse.

I'm pretty sure that this time last year I'd been out once or twice in shorts and short sleeves in warm spring sunshine. I'm starting to wonder if the Russians are sending their weather over here as well as highly toxic nerve agents.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Slim on March 30, 2018, 21:45:25 pm
I think you should rest up, keep warm and recover completely Nick, tomorrow looks like a properly cold and wet day and you'll only make yourself feel worse.

I think a good night's sleep will see me right. Normally a ride picks me up a bit. Anyhoo, if I don't get any in tomorrow it looks like that'll be it for another week and I'll get knocked back even further in my quest to retain some sort of fitness.
Legend in my own Mind

Nïckslïkk2112

Didn't feel 100% today, but a decent night's sleep certainly helped. Today's weather didn't, cold, drizzly and with a fresh Northerly.
But hey, a bike has to be ridden so off I went, keeping to lower roads not too far from home. After 20 miles with a heavy drizzle set in and cold hands I decided it was time for gooin' 'om, but after 25 miles my mojo returned so I decided to stay out. After 26 miles mojo had gone again, but I was by then committed to going uphill. Ho-hum. At least uphill meant downhill to come :)

37.72 miles for the day, taking the March total to 265 miles. The average speed of 16.5 mph was the same as last year, but mile for mile I did more climbing last year and I was on the hybrid. Either I'm getting older and more unfit or the weather has played a part. Who can say.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1481979323
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

Usual route today, cold but otherwise dry. I have had my BMC bike for 3 years now and have been very pleased with it apart from the saddle, a Fizik Arione. The issue has always been painful/aching sit bones which I always thought would harden up but never have. I was about to splash 100 notes on a new saddle with additional gel when I noticed an older model of the saddle on my old Specialized Allez in the garage, quick swap and what a difference. Why this has taken me 3 years to try will remain a mystery. Two weeks to go before my first sportive of the year and feeling much more comfortable about riding it.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Grim, cold, wet day. Ordered a new inner tube for the hybrid from Amazon yesterday after discovering that I didn't have a spare, but earlier today I went to Halfords and bought a couple anyway so I could get on with changing the rear inner. So I did. Possibly not the best quality but only £3 a go.

I soon found out why it was flat. I removed the tyre, pulled out the flat inner tube and ran my thumb round the inside of the tyre to ensure that whatever had caused the puncture was not still present, but it was. I found a sharp, rusty nail sticking through the tyre wall, about 2cm long. This puzzles me somewhat because I'm pretty sure that the last time I used the hybrid was on the trainer. But I haven't checked.

Anyway I wrestled the new inner and old tyre on without too much trouble. The wheel is filthy I must admit, so quite a dirty job.

Nïckslïkk2112

Weather wasn't too bad this afternoon. Apart from being cold, damp, drizzly and misty with occasionally slushy bits on the roads. So I went out for an hour to see if it would blow away my bit of a hangover. It didn't. Still, that's April's account opened :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1485860062/
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

Well it's certainly not too bad today, blue sky and sunny if a bit on the cool side. Will get the April campaign underway later on, if I don't get dragged into something hellish at work.

Jonners

The new mountain on Zwift is steep!
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

April 05, 2018, 23:09:58 pm #2889 Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 23:13:04 pm by Slim
I shall do my utmost to avoid it!

As I commented this morning, the weather was rather nice today - blue skies, sunshine, not too windy and not (that) cold. The roads in the near vicinity of Slim Towers looked nice and dry but when I went for a walk around the village earlier this afternoon I did notice a few roadside puddles the size of small lakes, and the grass on the village green was decidedly spongy.

So, thinking that there might be a few wet patches here and there on the roads, it was the (first) Boardman that I selected for duty when I went for a spin later in the afternoon after work, to get the April campaign off to a late start.

While perusing Google Maps instead of working I'd come upon the idea of riding to Tamworth and back. After the first few miles it's a pretty boring route - just straight there and back along a B road - but I'd never done it before so I thought it might make a pleasant change. I'd got as far as Measham though, then ran into hellish traffic queueing for two sets of traffic lights, most of which seemed to be going the same way. After joining the queue, and intermittently overtaking stationary cars by cycling down the middle of the road despite oncoming traffic, I decided to cut my losses, so I turned left to Snarestone and did a sort of Twycross run. I did the long version, going down to Fenny Drayton and along Fenn Lanes, but after Sutton Cheney I decided to do something a bit different. I went south instead of north along the A447, then took a road to Kirkby Mallory, where I rode past Mallory Park race track.

I'm pretty sure I hadn't been this way before and it proved quite pleasant - a bit hilly, but scenic and quiet with decent road surfaces. Went through a village called Peckleton and saw a sign to Desford, so I followed it - I knew my way back from there, and wouldn't have to consult Google Maps again.

This part of the ride was quite joyous, gliding along quiet roads in wide open spaces, just before sunset. Got to Bagworth (the locals pronounce it "Baggerth") and my bloody chain came off the big chainring on the outboard side. Unfortunately although I'd diligently brought with me a pump, a spare inner, a front light, a debit card and some nylon tyre levers, I didn't have any disposable gloves with me. I have smegging loads of them in the garage and they weigh nothing, so I cursed myself for this. The chain would be easy enough to get on of course, but should I wear my cycling gloves, thereby risking getting my bar tape and the outside of the gloves filthy, or my bare hand - which would get my hand and the inside of the glove dirty, but not the bar tape?

I chose the latter option.

Was back just as it was getting dark. Nice timing really, another few minutes and I'd have needed to get the LED torch out.

I had a couple of phantom gear down-changes at the back. A pity, as the Boardman has been spot on for very many miles, but of course, it's always only a matter of time (or distance). Might be that the chain is wearing down a bit, or maybe the gear cable is starting to fray, like last time? I shall check carefully. I obviously need to check the limiter on the front Disraeli anyway.

41.94. More tomorrow, I hope.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1491427103

Oh yes, and I trialled a new piece of equipment - a wrist mounted mirror. I believe Nick posted a link or pic of one a few months ago, and I bought one from Amazon.

Unfortunately I didn't find it very useful. It only works at all if it's mounted right on your hand, so the elastic strap runs between your thumb and forefinger, across your palm. It's really tricky to set it so you get a useful view. I found myself giving a sort of half-hearted Hitler salute to see what was behind me, and that's not the impression you want to convey while you're out on your bike. And it's convex, so that vehicles coming behind you are tiny. The handlebar-mounted mirror that I use gives a much better view and fits unobtrusively just below the right shifter, on a rubber loop.

Another one for the list of cycling equipment acquired by retail therapy, that turned out to be pointless. Quite a large proportion of these items are mirrors, as it happens. I have a bit of a cycling mirror fetish.

Mildly interesting trivial fact - I cycled within about half a mile of the exact centre of England shortly after turning into Fenn Lanes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-22890463

Nick

Short 17 miler today but up some filthy lanes, so much mud from tractors and field entrances. At one point cycled though a flooded lane(and it's not rained for a while in Mid Devon), and almost comically  hit a deep submerged pothole, thought I was a gonna but somehow kept my cycling dignity.

Slim

Noticing a lot more deep potholes lately, a consequence of all the rain and freezing weather I think.

Another thoroughly pleasant day. A bit less sunny, a bit windier but I think a little warmer. Was going to take the Boardman out, but at the last moment I pulled the Planet X down from its wall hanger instead.

I was going to do a typical, but shortened run out east - through Coleorton, Rempstone and Wymeswold, but the intention was to stop after 20-ish miles instead of continuing to Belvoir Castle, then come back the same way. Just before I got to the end of Ashby Road though, abut a mile short of the Nottinghamshire border, I decided that this would be boring so I decided to take a left through Long Whatton, with the thought of heading toward Donington and maybe Derby. I encountered a Road Closed sign not long after Whatton though, so I took a left back to Ashby Road, back the way I'd come for a bit and back to Belton where I turned off to take a different road to Donington.

Got to Donington, or the southern end of the airport anywyay, then took a familiar road off toward Melbourne. I stopped at a while just outside Melbourne, at a bench on Robinson's Hill. I took my fleece off and stuffed it into my backpack, because I was far too warm with three layers on.

From there I took the road to Ticknall, after which I had to negotiate Bastard Hill, albeit from a different (and slightly more forgiving) direction than usual, because I didn't take the Staunton Lane turn.

Got to Ashby de la Zouch and realised I'd be home in another four miles with plenty of daylight left, so I did a long detour toward Measham, down to Snarestone, through Swepstone and back through Heather.

Very nice to be out on the green one again, for only the second time this year. Curiously, I found I had much more use for the bigger chainring than last time, when I barely seemed to need it at all.

Back just after sunset which was handy, as I'd neglected to take any lights.

Very nice run out, a sort of medley of some of my favourite routes.

Once again I was without mirror. Forgot to put it back after attaching it to the Boardman. I must get a checklist for the garage wall - lights, disposable gloves, mirror, pump etc.

When I got back I realised I'd lost my phone. It already had a cracked screen and there's nothing valuable or particularly personal on there so I'm not that bothered, just annoyed with the inconvenience really. I must have failed to zip up a pocket properly. Schoolboy error.

Anyway - 42.00 and that takes me 84 this month, 815 this year. The weather looks rubbish for the next few days so I'm glad to have had two enjoyable runs out yesterday and today.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Slim on April 06, 2018, 21:29:53 pm
Noticing a lot more deep potholes lately, a consequence of all the rain and freezing weather I think.

That's something I keep meaning to mention, the increasing potholisation of the roads.
The main roads seem worse than the minor ones - probably because the minor ones were never that good.

Good weather forecast for tomorrow. Not.
Legend in my own Mind

Nick

The roads are in a terrible condition, dangerously so for cyclists. I wonder if we could claim for bike damage?, I believe you can for car damage.

Nïckslïkk2112

Don't know if it's the effects of last night's red wine, the state of the roads or a couple of decent climbs, but I've got a right headache now. Still, it was nice to get out in the dry and the warm! I could have got away with a short sleeved jersey today, but hey-ho. It would have turned cold if I had.
The equivalent Saturday last year was 17C and definitely shorts and shirt sleeved weather. I also got out to Edale and did 67 miles. No such luck today, I just got as far as the Edale turn off in Hope and managed 53 miles, but thanks to the weather this year I'm a good 10% down on my mileage.
I certainly need to work on my uphill cycling, it's bloody hard work at the moment as opposed to hard work. Hopefully the weather will settle down a bit an we can all get out and about on the open roads :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1494911962
Legend in my own Mind