Hold Your Fire

Started by JonL, April 01, 2004, 00:06:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 10, 2019, 11:41:28 amHe does not like "Lock and Key and "The Mission" and "Turn the Page"
No point in watching if it's the same prick as before.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 10, 2019, 11:41:28 amHe does not like "Lock and Key and "The Mission" and "Turn the Page"
Who does?
Legend in my own Mind

Reg

Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

rufus the dawg

Quote from: zoony on October 10, 2019, 14:45:26 pmNo point in watching if it's the same prick as before.
I think its fun finding out other people views, good and bad.

DavidL

Listened to this today. Although I was into it at the time of release, it is now one of my least favourite 'mid- period' albums, mainly because of the 'weedy' guitar sound. The part before the solo on Mission sounds like Alex is playing on jingle bells. Of course it also ends with the 'gruesome twosome'!
Power Windows, on the other hand, retains some guitar muscle which HYF sadly lacks.

zoony

zoony

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 11, 2019, 21:50:43 pmI think its fun finding out other people views, good and bad.
I must admit I struggle to take anyone serious who seriously criticises RUSH.

Bisto

Quote from: zoony on October 12, 2019, 01:51:38 amI must admit I struggle to take anyone serious who seriously criticises RUSH.

The musicianship is excellent and beyond criticism; it's the song writing itself thats fair game.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on October 12, 2019, 01:49:10 amWell I do, especially Turn the page.
I worship Force Ten and Time Stand Still. I adore all the other songs, except Lock & Key and High Water, which I love, and Tai Shan, which I like. :)
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 12, 2019, 10:02:41 am.....High Water, which I love, and Tai Shan, which I like. :)
Gang of one? 😉
I've never really got on with Force Ten and always had a little groan when those sheep popped up on the rear screen. Lock and Key is probably my fave and loved that live. Open Secrets is good and always liked Prime Mover. Used to love Time Stand Still but gone off it now.
The lightweight guitar sound is the overall issue for me.

pdw1

My name is Patrick and I like Hold Your Fire  :-[

I know it is so light weight and 80s but its got great tunes.

It is all down hill from here
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

rufus the dawg

Quote from: pdw1 on October 12, 2019, 12:53:36 pmMy name is Patrick and I like Hold Your Fire  :-[

I know it is so light weight and 80s but its got great tunes.

It is all down hill from here
I wanted PW mark 2 and they made a AOR album. BUT it does have good tunes on. With killer guitar solos, in a 80s Terje Rypdal way.

David I agree its the lack of guitar muscle. I also like Tai Shan and High Water. I think Time Stand Still is genius, they is a instrumental motif that runs through it that is just brilliant.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on October 12, 2019, 21:17:18 pmI also like Tai Shan and High Water. 
That's two of you now, then!

Reg

Quote from: DavidL on October 12, 2019, 21:53:29 pmThat's two of you now, then!
+1.

That's 3. Tai Shan is acceptable now and then, but it does let this otherwise phenomenal album down. It is followed by High Water which is a fantastic song to close the album on. Although I have wondered whether High Water and Prime Mover should have been switched - the repetitive fading end to Prime Mover might have fitted better. But there is nowt wrong with High Water.

Hmm... think I'll dig this out for a spin.

Cheers peeps.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

Ah . . . . Turn The Page.  I just love the driving, pushing, energy of this song. The music and lyric perfectly matched. Loving this!