Hold Your Fire

Started by JonL, April 01, 2004, 00:06:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on October 12, 2019, 08:45:41 amThe musicianship is excellent and beyond criticism; it's the song writing itself thats fair game.
I wont argue with that mate, but I've always said that it's all about the music for me, the song writing, lyrics and singing are just secondary. That's probably why RUSH have always been the perfect band for me.

zoony

Quote from: Reg on October 13, 2019, 21:41:14 pmAh . . . . Turn The Page.  I just love the driving, pushing, energy of this song. The music and lyric perfectly matched. Loving this!
The short, sharp, inventive solo in Turn the page always delivers for me. It's about quality, not quantity 🙂.

rufus the dawg

Listened to it HYF remaster Loud yesterday

It is a fabulous album, very clever arrangements, proggy in a very understated way.

...and Tai shan, High water are lovely endings to the album in a Jon Anderson hippy way.

döm

I like Force 10 and Time Stand Still has stood the test of time but apart from that I'm not really a fan.

I find that the production/over use of keyboards deaden the impact of the album.  A little bit like a significant covering of snow on the countryside, angles and edges are lost.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

zoony

Quote from: döm on October 14, 2019, 16:52:18 pmA little bit like a significant covering of snow on the countryside, angles and edges are lost.
Waaaaay too deep for a bit of music mate.

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on October 14, 2019, 10:43:13 amThe short, sharp, inventive solo in Turn the page always delivers for me. It's about quality, not quantity 🙂.
On the live version on ASOH it's a particular joy; some delicious squealers on there. :)
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

Quote from: döm on October 14, 2019, 16:52:18 pmI find that the production/over use of keyboards deaden the impact of the album.  A little bit like a significant covering of snow on the countryside, angles and edges are lost.
After PoW I was actually initially disappointed that HYF had its synths relatively dialled back..!

For me they enhance the early/mid-80s albums immeasurably. Halcyon days. :)
The keys to happiness

Trafalgar

For me, Signals started the slide for Rush and probably reached the ultimate low with Presto, which remains the worst Rush album ever imo.
Signals heralded the Rush-lite era and until Counterparts, they were not the same band - too wishy washy.

All the albums up to Signals were good, with the singular exception of Caress of Steel which was .. not. Poor sound quality and poor songs - only Bastille Day is the outstanding track and that version on ATWS still makes the hairs stand out on the back of my neck.
But the Rush-lite era for me represents the worst of Rush.
I just wish they had given up the ghost in 2004 as from then on live shows and albums have been mediocre.

zoony

Quote from: Trafalgar on December 04, 2019, 20:31:50 pmFor me, Signals started the slide for Rush and probably reached the ultimate low with Presto, which remains the worst Rush album ever imo.
Signals heralded the Rush-lite era and until Counterparts, they were not the same band - too wishy washy.

All the albums up to Signals were good, with the singular exception of Caress of Steel which was .. not. Poor sound quality and poor songs - only Bastille Day is the outstanding track and that version on ATWS still makes the hairs stand out on the back of my neck.
But the Rush-lite era for me represents the worst of Rush.
I just wish they had given up the ghost in 2004 as from then on live shows and albums have been mediocre.

Only thing I'd agree with you on there is that Presto is their weakest album. That said, I don't dislike it, but there has to be a weakest one.

Bez

Quote from: zoony on December 10, 2019, 15:52:14 pmOnly thing I'd agree with you on there is that Presto is their weakest album. That said, I don't dislike it, but there has to be a weakest one.
Are you forgetting Snakes & Arrows?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Bez on December 11, 2019, 08:52:51 amAre you forgetting Snakes & Arrows?
No mate, I've played that quite a lot this year, and they actually have it on the jukebox down our working mens club.

rufus the dawg

interesting, I find Test for Echo is the weakest rush album in close run race of 4.

Pesto
Test for echo
Vapour trails
Roll the bones 

Thinking it through all four of the above albums have 2-3 fantastic songs and the rest need rewriting. Hold your Fire has 1 poor songs and the rest are great.

Bisto

December 11, 2019, 19:22:05 pm #57 Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 21:41:06 pm by Bisto
Quote from: zoony on December 11, 2019, 14:02:31 pmNo mate, I've played that quite a lot this year, and they actually have it on the jukebox down our working mens club.
Ye gods! We must be living in the end times
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on December 11, 2019, 19:22:05 pmYe god's! We must be living in the end times
We will be if Corbyns lot win today mate.

Nick

Hold the red star high in hand
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.