Hold Your Fire

Started by JonL, April 01, 2004, 00:06:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

QuoteBut Grand Designs is a great song. Lovely, sparse, guitar work and some nice synth jiggery-pokery as ear candy.
That's it.  You try Tompy.  She won't listen to me  :P
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

JT

Ali

I think HYF is probably my most-played post-Moving Pictures album, whereas Power Windows is one of the least. Part of the reason may be that HYF was the first Rush album I bought on CD, whereas PW was the last vinyl purchase - and I'm a lazy arse  ;)

I remember playing both HYF and Floyd's 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' to death as I basked in the glory of this new-fangled digital audio world  ;D . In retrospect, HYF remains a fantastic album while PW remains patchy.

Personally, having been a fan since just after AFTK had been released, I regard the 2112-MP period as incredibly consistent - I was a bit disappointed with Signals on release and spent the rest of the 80's alternately liking albums (GUP and HYF big thumbs up, Signals and PW a tad underwhelming).
Presto I didn't rate at all at the time - I've since warmed to it's hidden charms, RTB was an improvement and since then - there's been a few choice ditties on each release  :) .
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

TomC

I have always been a "Hold" fan and it still ranks as one of my favourites. "Time Stand Still" is top 10 in all time tracks, with the lyrics resonating as I have grown up/older and watched my own daughter become a young women and loved ones diminish and pass away. "Mission" has one of the great instrumental breaks, "Force Ten" and "Turn the Page" are fantastic. Down points include "Second Nature" and "Tai Shan" has grown less with age.
There is an obvious connection between PW and HTF, Peter Collins, and there are certainly sonic similarities. However, 10 tracks to 8, in HTF favour and I am thoroughly tired of Mystic Rhythms (the only point in any of the shows that I found myself looking at the clock) means I have to chose "Hold" as the better by quite some distance....but then I rate AFTK as one of the worst Rush albums and love Signals......*swiftly ducks*

TomC

Hmmmm! Just listening to PW.........the run from Territories to Emotion Detector has almost changed my mind.......... ::)

JT

Quote....but then I rate AFTK as one of the worst Rush albums and love Signals......*swiftly ducks*

No need to duck... you're spot on there.

Reg

Quite a sensible line to take, I do think.  
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

Quote...but then I rate AFTK as one of the worst Rush albums and love Signals......*swiftly ducks*

I share your opinion.  Thank goodness they bounced back with Hemispheres, eh?

Sary

But Grand Designs is a great song. Lovely, sparse, guitar work and some nice synth jiggery-pokery as ear candy.

Ear candy? More like vintage cheese from 1985.  lmao Apart from those godawful synths, the chorus is one of the very worst they have ever managed to come up with. Geddy's
ooo-o's at the end are as bad as those in Neurotica.

I can't see myself ever warming to this piece of junk, sorry.:-/

Ian Hills

I don't really like the Peter Collins poduction-too digital no warmth. Otherwise the songs on HYF are excellent. But Power Windows I still can't listen to, the only Rush album I can't.
Hammersmith Odeon May 1979
Stafford Bingley Hall Sept. 1979
Hammersmith Odeon June 1980
Wembley Arena November 1981
Wembley Arena May 1983
Birmingham NEC April 1988
Wembley  April 1988
Wembley  April 1992
Wembley  September 2004
Wembley October 2007-cancelled!
O2 Arena May 2001

MrG

HYF was the first Rush album I bought - well bought is probably an exaggeration as I actually got it for nothing as my brother was in that awful Britannia Music Club thingy (is that still going ??) and he said I could have one of his free entitlements.

So I picked HYF (on cassette :o ) and never looked back  ;D

So HYF holds a special place for me - I still love it although the only low point  for me is "Tai Shan" which I find so dreary.  Having heard the rest of the band's output I can see why the 80s material has it's detractors but if I want to put on a Rush CD and can't decide which one my hand always tends to hover around HYF  :)  

JT

Ear candy? More like vintage cheese from 1985.

TomC

Having listened to these albums again, I now wish to reserve judgement as the comparison is impossible without hearing the digitally remastered versions of Presto and RTB. The sound is trully awful in comparison to HTF and PW remasters.

rufus the dawg

Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

rufus the dawg

He does not like "Lock and Key and "The Mission" and "Turn the Page"
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.