Best compact digital camera?

Started by Captain Ron, March 11, 2013, 15:58:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Letter R

Quote from: Captain Ron on April 18, 2013, 13:11:33 pm
Any word on this yet? I had a Panasonic TZ40 in my hands last night and was seriously tempted.

Having checked with people in the know it's going to be sometime in late May........probably around the time a certain tour arrives in the UK.

Captain Ron

Ah right. It's too late then. Pansonic TZ40 it is then.
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

pdw1

Quote from: The Letter R on April 19, 2013, 09:55:08 am
Having checked with people in the know it's going to be sometime in late May........probably around the time a certain tour arrives in the UK.

Will you be bringing one to the O2 to test out?
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

The Letter R

Quote from: pdw1 on April 19, 2013, 12:17:33 pm
Will you be bringing one to the O2 to test out?

Hmmmm...now there's an idea.

NeilP

Quote from: AlexJ on April 18, 2013, 21:45:58 pm
Yes, that's the one. And what a lovely bit of kit it is too! Coupled with two or three exceptional L-series lenses it gives astonishing results.

yes I know, I have same with L series 70-200mm F2.8 IS and 24-105mm F4 IS... pleased with them though quite heavy

The Letter R

Captain Ron

Nice looking camera that but just fractionally too late to market for me. Went for the Panasonic Lumix TZ40. £365 with a 5 year warranty, 32GB Class 10 memory card, carry case and a few other sundries including a desktop tripod and cleaning kit. Also got a free extra battery worth £35 from Panasonic. Special offer on new purchases.

pdw1

Quote from: The Letter R on April 24, 2013, 10:13:16 am
Press announced today if anyone was still interested :-

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_cyber_shot_dsc_hx50/

Looks great but I like a view finder on my cameras not just a screen (I know that is just old fashioned).
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

It's a showstopper for me, as well. Some cameras have an optional electronic viewfinder eyepiece that fits to the flash attachment. Actually looking through the spec, the new Sony has this feature as well.

The Letter R

Quote from: Captain Ron on April 24, 2013, 13:42:43 pm
Nice looking camera that but just fractionally too late to market for me. Went for the Panasonic Lumix TZ40. £365 with a 5 year warranty, 32GB Class 10 memory card, carry case and a few other sundries including a desktop tripod and cleaning kit. Also got a free extra battery worth £35 from Panasonic. Special offer on new purchases.

Seems like you got yourself quite a good deal there Ron!

Captain Ron

NeilP

nice, haven't bothered with a speed light yet Alex, any recommendations? EX series?

Captain Ron

Weekend of testing the TZ40. Great pics, great video. Very pleased. :)

The Letter R

Managed to get hold of one of the first new Sony DSCHX50's for Maria before we went to Istanbul last week - and she seems pretty pleased with it - got some good results in varying lights and has an impressive zoom. She's not tried video yet - maybe I can borrow it from her for a Rush show........

Chris Quartly

I have the HX-20 and have gotten some good results with video at gigs, here are a couple I've taken:

Mrs Magician - There Is No God: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w2V1sHsnXg

Pop Zeus - Dead in the Water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKdHPb4YrE
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade