Author Topic: Best compact digital camera?  (Read 8350 times)

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
Re: Best compact digital camera?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »
In relation to cameras 5 Jessops Stores are re-opening today in London ( Oxford Street ), Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen, St Albans and High Wycombe with approx 30 more due to open throughout April - good news for the high street and budding photographers. Peter Jones is the new CEO.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
In relation to cameras 5 Jessops Stores are re-opening today in London ( Oxford Street ), Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen, St Albans and High Wycombe with approx 30 more due to open throughout April - good news for the high street and budding photographers. Peter Jones is the new CEO.

Good news indeed...I've never actually bought anything from Jessops, but the competition on the high street is good. A rise in the price of photographic equipment was cited as one of the underlying causes in last months higher inflation figures...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »
all I know if that Peter Jones aint a mug.... good news I imagine

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 13:27:54 PM »
I've never actually bought anything from Jessops,

Nobody does - thats been their problem. People go in for research, ask the staff all about the product they are interested in, try it out for size, weight, touch etc and then piss off and buy it cheaper from Amazon ::)

If Peter Jones and Jessops are to survive they need to be able to complete with online retailers price wise which will be difficult with all the overheads of High St stores. I hope he succeeds though, it's a depressing sight to see all that tumbleweed in our town and city centres up and down the country.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 14:08:00 PM »
Nobody does - thats been their problem. People go in for research, ask the staff all about the product they are interested in, try it out for size, weight, touch etc and then piss off and buy it cheaper from Amazon ::)

If Peter Jones and Jessops are to survive they need to be able to complete with online retailers price wise which will be difficult with all the overheads of High St stores. I hope he succeeds though, it's a depressing sight to see all that tumbleweed in our town and city centres up and down the country.

I must admit that's exactly what I did when looking for my DSLR....held a few, talked to the staff and bought online....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Andrew_Haldane

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 15:48:02 PM »
I decided to try out and then buy a camera at my local Jessops, a dedicated photographic retailer as opposed to a tec chain like Curry/PC World. I thought I was supporting the local economy a bit more than if I'd bought through them or Amazon...how very noble...well, their highly knowledgeable staff sold me a camera and an extended warrantee less than a month before they went belly up. I find it very hard to believe they didn't know the firm ewas in danger at the time. Perhaps with these 30 branches opening I'll able to take any warrantee work to one rather than send it off for several weeks/months.

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Intense? Who? Me? ..... Thanks Geddy! :)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:04 PM »
The Sony HX50 is about to  supercede the HX30 - With 30x Optical Zoom and 20.4MP - also reduced thickness too - not sure of a complete comparison check to the Pana model but just for your info.

Do you have a link that one? I looked but couldn't find it.  ???
"I was brought up to believe" (but never to leave beer)

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 23:31:44 PM »
5D Mark III Alex?

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 13:35:47 PM »
I wish I had the time to learn how to use my cameras properly, rather than just having everything on automatic and pointing and shooting.

I'm in awe of proper photographers - some of the travel pictures that some of my friends have shot in recents years are just jaw dropping.
Anger is a gift.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 18:04:48 PM »
I nearly always use an auto mode for travel shots anyway. Composition is a much bigger influence, and IMO the single most effective and easiest way to improve that is to use the Rule Of Thirds where viable.

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelines_for_better_photographic_composition_rule_of_thirds.html

You can also fiddle with your photos on a PC to recompose them a bit (and to tweak contrast, sharpness, saturation, adjust for lens distortion, colour balance and all that).

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
Do you have a link that one? I looked but couldn't find it.  ???
Hi Ron - It's not out yet - later in the month - when it is I'll post a link.

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »

Thanks. I look forward to seeing that. Sounds tasty. :)

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 13:27:02 PM »
As you may or may not know I was a photographer for 10 years before changing careers. I sold all my equipment and have had nothing to do with photography since, other than family snaps with a little compact camera. My recent jaunt to New York made me realise how much I miss having a half decent camera so I decided to fork out and buy one of these.

The reviews are almost all very good but I was wondering if anyone here has one and, if so, what are your opinions on it.
#herewego10inarow

Neph

• TNMS Member
  • #stripthetitles
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 22:15:42 PM »
For the price paid this is a very decent piece of gear.
#herewego10inarow

Captain Ron

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »

Any word on this yet? I had a Panasonic TZ40 in my hands last night and was seriously tempted.